Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    Nov 2007
    Woodbridge, VA
    AT Pro
    2 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

MDing in the District

Is metal detecting even allowed in the District other then on private property?
    Garrett AT Pro

Oct 2005
    Mechanicsville, MD

Re: MDing in the District

Quote Originally Posted by XTerraDon
    I don't know, but I HIGHLY doubt it. You can't MD on Federal property, so that nixes a lot of the open property in D.C.

us
    My goal for 2012 is a dozen Walking Liberty Halves

Sep 2004
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
    32 times

Would be neat though to turn a lot of us loose in DC with our machines. Imagine the history that we could uncover. I would love to see what is under the grassy knoll.
    I Dig Everything...Even Pull Tabs.

us
    Nov 2008
    Appomattox coVirginia
    whites eagle spectrum fisher gold bug
    8 times

Quote Originally Posted by XTerraDon

I've done a lot of MD in DC, look for ocnstruction and go to it, if it is federal property it is not allowed, stay out of parks and such, they are federal. I found a lot of civil war artifacts on the fort lincoln housing project
    there is a HUGE trash puit behind the develoment that has been excavated to a fifty foot diameter twenty foot deep....still turning up reclic and period 'trash'.

Hunt the lawn strips next to houses and the pulic sidewalks, people used to leave coins there in little stacks for the paper boy in the 40's and fifties....

floodcitykid
    Dig we must!!!!

us
    Jul 2012
    North Carolina
    Bounty Hunter Tracker IV Bounty Hunter Platinum Tesoro Tiger Shark
    8 times
    Thanks to everyone who posted info on digging in DC. I am heading to DC in the morning., I'll let you know if I find anything later on this week.

ncholedigger

Sep 2012
    pennsylvania
    Garrett
    33 times
    You might want to check out neat fort Lincoln dr, commodore Joshua dr bc that is the area they are doing alot of construction... Housing and businesses. Large area was all wooded about a year ago they did do alot of grading along the 31st st and rt 50 side. Might have better luck around the new housing construction bc there wasn't as much grading done. Just a thought if you couldn't find a spot. Also it's not a bad area in that location so you should be safe and not bothered much.

Nov 2012
    Fisher 1266-X
    1 times
    Let me know if you find out anything. Im in Maryland and would like to find a group or club to do some Dtecting.

Sponsors