Looking for a way to breathe with out any diving equipment in shallow waters

Voldbjerg

Feb 9, 2006
DiveWrecks said:
Another possibility for shallow work is using a hookah length hose with conventional regulators and floating your tank in a raft or buoy. Then you can go on about your business unencumbered with just a weight belt and mask. This strays from the topic a little bit, but may be a an ideal solution under the right conditions.

Stan

Following your thought - you could use an industrial size 50L 300 bar bottle - that would give you 25000L (6600gallons) of gas - which could be a nice fat nitrox mixture to increase safety.

Another benefit would be the silence on the boat - no compressor running.

/V

grumpyolman

Jul 18, 2008
Raymond, WA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac - Tiger Shark - Ace 250 - Fisher 1280-X - White's Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The suggestion about putting a SCUBA tank in a float of some kind and getting a long hose might be a good option. I know a guy who water hunted that way and would just put his mask on, put the regulator in his mouth, and lay down on the bottom and fan the muck away until he found his target. It still would be a good idea to take a course and learn the physics of diving and why you should do certain things and not do others. Duh on me! I have been using a hookah so long I forgot if you are going to fill a SCUBA tank and the owner of the air supply/ dive shop doesn't know you personally, you'll have to show your certification card. Probably similar to renting an airplane to somebody without checking to see they really have a pilot's license. One of the plusses about hookah is you don't have to go get a tank filled, hydro'ed every five years, visual inspection yearly, and carry and wear the darn thing. After reading all these posts it seems as the easiest would be to get a hookah of some kind and get the training to use it safely. That's not necessarily the same as SCUBA certification. Look on the Airline Hookah website. They have an online home study course that would help prepare you for the knowledge part. Learn the skills from sombody who's doing it. Jim

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I actually took an old regulator and added another check valve at the intake side of the reg and it works. I also put a small screen on the intake side of the hose to keep bugs out. 10" of hose because any deeper it is too hard to breathe. I only used it a few times but in 4-6 feet of water it did just fine.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
olepossum said:
i used the snorkrel and hose to shag golf balls it worked unless you had a smart a$$ on the bank bending the hose...

And your still alive???? It must have been a short hose.

The point has been proven over and over again. Your lungs contain a fixed volume of air. You can only move that same air back and forth in a length of hose which is greater than the volume of air you are moving.

I use a 'spare air' bottle for a quick anchor check, prop cleaning, or cooling intake port check. I get 65 breaths on the surface at rest. Less the deeper I go, or the more I do. It's enough to knock off the barnacles on the prop, unfoul the anchor... Not any good for digging or detecting.

Go with a proven reliable hooka rig.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread