PowerSnorkel

Captain Loosechange

Nov 24, 2007
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett SeaHunter Mark II, Tesoro Stingray
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Everybody, I was thinking about getting the Powersnorkel Hookah kit. I'm wandering if any of you have it or know anyone that does. The system with regulators for 2 divers, compressor, battery and airlines is $1,550. Not bad compared to the cost of SCUBA course and equipment. Especially since all I want to be able to do is check out some of the local lakes and swimming holes to a depth of 15 ft. or so. SCUBA would be a little overkill for that. I don't know much about the hookah systems and would appreciate all input. I was ready to get SCUBA certified and had already checked into a local class when I came upon these units over the internet. The cost of the course was going to be around 400 dollars with the open water dives, mask fins and snorkel. Then after certification I would have to bought all the other gear. So anyway if anyone has any experience with this particular brand or type of system please post. Thanks HH

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Scuba Certification $400......
Scuba Gear $ 800.....

The knowledge and experience you need to save your life...... PRICELESS!

Total for Scuba $1200.

I would enjoy the freedom of not having to be hooked to hose as well.

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Cpt Loosechange,

I would certainly go scuba. There will be times when you will want to go deeper or farther away from your rig and you will regret it. I think everyone who uses even hookah shoudle be scuba certified. You are still breathing compressed air and it is very much the same, just your tank is topside instead of on your back. Everything else is the same, even the dangers at 15'.

Robert

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
I have to agree with RGECY and DiverLynn. SCUBA training provides you with the information and skills that you MUST know even if you only plan to hookah dive because so much of it involves the fundamental physiological effects on the body at depth. Hookah diving without SCUBA training is sort of like going out and buying an ultralight - you may not have to have a license to fly one but you'd be insane not to have some sort of training before going on your first ride. Does that make any sense? :tard:

Pcola

OP
OP
Captain Loosechange

Captain Loosechange

Nov 24, 2007
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett SeaHunter Mark II, Tesoro Stingray
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I need to clarify. I don't have a problem with taking the SCUBA certification. I already have the PADI textbook which I purchased as soon as I considered any type of under water detecting. I just want information on this particular type of Hookah system, I understand the training is important. I must add that this "certification" involves reading each of the 5 modules and self study, then taking a supervised written test. Then a closed water(pool dive) after each module, then finally the open water(lake dives). The point is well taken that knowledge and instruction are invaluable and fine I will go ahead and get certified but even then I think the hookah will serve my particular needs as I only have interest in the SCUBA for the one objective and that is to hunt under the water. I have already worked my way through a good part of the text and understand that there are dangers at any depth when breathing compressed air. I would like to have some input from someone who has or has used the particular type system I am looking at, the powersnorkel by powerdive. Thanks for all your guys concern and input though, I do appreciate it.

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brownies Third lung is one of the more popular system used down in Florida, and I used it with much success. However, I do not personally own one, and prefer SCUBA. With this system, and with many of the other systems on the market you can go with electric or gas powered compressors. You can also just purchase the first and second stage regulators and hose, rent a tank from the dive shop once you get certified. This will save you a little upfront cash, and you can decide later if you want to upgrade.

diverlynn

Oct 25, 2006
New Smyrna Beach
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
We used the Brownie always on the Polly L but we have also had a couple of instances where things got hairy. One of our Members had his 2nd stage to come loose from the hose due to not checking his equipment before entering the water. We carry a lot of weight due to not having the weight of a tank to help keep us negatively boyant, I wear 30 lbs. He lost the reg, had to ditch his weights (which were found in the next hole) and had to do an emergency accent in 15' of water (and a 18' whole, that's 33'!).
Or the day our cook decided to make a bad decision and told everyone to get in the water with only one surface person on board (that was me because I refused to go in, it was against the rules on the Polly L). Two divers on hookah, one snorkeling and one on a tank and me on deck. A strong current grabbed them in a matter of minutes, off they went. Life rings had to be deployed as well as our safety skiff after I was able to get a ring to the snorkeler and get him on board. Needless to say Doug was PI**ed. Kookah's are great with training, I take them over heavy tanks any day.

S*IT Happens... Be careful out there.

Diverlynn

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even though I never used one, it looks like it limits your activity in the water. One is bound to the machine, limiting distance and depth. But, if one is working at a shallow depth it probably wouldn't matter my points. Maybe try it out at someplace that might rent them. Scuba is very easy once one has taken the classes.

Good luck.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Capt.L I would shop around. $400 for a C-card sounds too steep. Most dive shops will certify you for half that price. Then after buying cheap gear you could purchase the hookah conversion kit that I make for $40. Pete Smitt, PADI Open Water Dive Instructor since 1984.

Attachments

• hookah4.jpg
    hookah4.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 475
  • hookah4.jpg
    hookah4.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 475

grumpyolman

Jul 18, 2008
Raymond, WA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac - Tiger Shark - Ace 250 - Fisher 1280-X - White's Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really! Google 'airline hookah' and read that from one end to the other. I did before I bought mine. On that site they show a recall of some of Brownie's Third lung units by a goverment agency. A unit that uses belts and pulleys to operate your compressor is old technology. Airline has direct drive. Their compressors are made in the US and are made specifically for humans to breathe. If you go world wide you'll always be able to get parts and the units are high quality. No! I don't work for them.
I bought the 260, two divers to 60', and it does everything they say it does. I haven't experienced it being a problem dragging a hose behind me. You don't use it for wreck diving and the 60' limit provides some safety avoiding decompression. But... the units run about two hours on a tank of fuel and A signle SCUBA tank at 60' might only get you 30 minutes depending on some variables. Time and depth have to be calculated to avoid problems. If you use a single tank in a single dive for one day, you usually don't have too much to worry about. You could stay deeper longer with the surface supplied air because of the run time and get into A decompression situation. IMHO airline is the premium unit and is no more expensive than the others. Jim

Voldbjerg

Feb 9, 2006
grumpyolman said:
I bought the 260, two divers to 60', and it does everything they say it does. I haven't experienced it being a problem dragging a hose behind me. You don't use it for wreck diving and the 60' limit provides some safety avoiding decompression. But... the units run about two hours on a tank of fuel and A signle SCUBA tank at 60' might only get you 30 minutes depending on some variables.

What are you using for backup. 120 minutes at 60 feet will give you a total of 30 minutes of deco. I know you probably wont push the envelope like that but you must have given it some thought - even compressors fail once in a while.

/V

grumpyolman

Jul 18, 2008
Raymond, WA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac - Tiger Shark - Ace 250 - Fisher 1280-X - White's Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never been deeper than 40' with my unit and that was just for giggles. I used to carry spair air but I got the unit specifically for metal detecting shallow in fresh water swimming beaches. I would say I spend 90% of my time in 3-4' of water. That answers your question about deco time. I found that when the engine quits when running out of fuel, it warns you by starting to run rough with fuel starvation, there is enough residual air in each hose line for each diver for at least 3 breaths. Each diver with the airline has their own hose Others hookah manufacturers "Y" off a single hose and essentially both divers are using air from one hose. Should that one hose fail, both divers could be at risk. If you are using the Airline and have your buddy near and one hose or one second stage regulator fails, you can just buddy breathe with the remaining line and regulator. If I was diving in open water and was deeper than 5' or so, I would have spare air. Like I said, 90% of the time I can surface by just standing up if I experience a problem. By the way, I think that in the freshwater swim beaches, 90% of the goodies are in the first 3' of water...regards Jim

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pcola,

You dont need any training to fly a ultralight.Several years ago i bought one,put it together got in the seat,started up the engine and took off,flew around for a hour and landed back on the lake.It had floats.When i lived in hawaii i built a hang glider out of bamboo and plastic sheets,i took it to the top of the pali cliffs and at 1500 feet i jumped off and flew for 30 minutes.I made the front page of the honolulu star newspaper for being the first person to jump off the cliffs in a home made hanglider.I flew that kite for 4 months till one day it broke in half.Then i bought one of the first aluminum hang gliders that came out.It was a seagull,made for endless hours of soaring.I only had 1 mishap with it.I got caught in a whirlwind and the kite went upside down in the process my left elbow got dislocated but i still managed to fly the kite back to the ground,floating like a leaf,then drove myself to the nearest hospital to get my elbow joint relocated.I flew that same kite for 4 more years.The longest i ever stayed up was 16 hours,had to land on the beach in the dark.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread