Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett Seahunter

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
As I am not a tech diver I have no advice except this- in addition to asking here, you might check on http://www.thedecostop.com. It is a site dedicated to deep and tech diving.
Good luck and dive safe!

divewrecks

Bronze Member
Sep 7, 2004
Down South - Marietta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE (land), Aquapulse AQ1B (sea), Fisher CZ-20 (water, beach), Fisher 1266X (woods)
Hi Bell47. At non-recreational depths your regulator should be a simple, reliable and time proven design. It should be easy breathing, but adjustable to prevent free flow. Consider the availability of convenient dealer service and parts availability.

My personal preference for a second stage is the classic Scubapro G250 with a MK20 or MK25 first stage. I've had the Apeks regs before and they are similar, but not as acommon here in the US. Many folks like the Poseidons, but they are not as popular in my area. All of these regs are good enough for "tech" diving if taken care of properly (well rinsed and regularly serviced).

Where are you taking your training? Have you already done some decompression diving?

Stan

divewrecks

Bronze Member
Sep 7, 2004
Down South - Marietta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE (land), Aquapulse AQ1B (sea), Fisher CZ-20 (water, beach), Fisher 1266X (woods)
scubasalvor said:
I service regulators (all brands) and I found the Zeagle Flathead-7 to be unique in its way of delivering air. High performance, extremely reliable, easy to maintain: http://www.zeagle.com/showproduct/7/Flathead-7/.

That's a nice regulator. Apeks used to make the Zeagle regulators, but I understand the Flatheads are their own design. If you are a serious diver it would be a good idea to carry a rebuild kit with you. Not because this particular regulator is failure prone, but because you don't want parts availability to be a problem when you are away on an expensive dive venture and happen to need something. If you want to learn a little about regulator internals and an introduction to doing your own work I would highly recommend Vance Harlow's book:

http://www.airspeedpress.com/newregbook.html

All the other Airspeed books are also very good, - the Oxygen Hackers Companion, and the Divelight Companion especially.

Stan

Harvest

Apr 6, 2008
Daytona Beach, Fl.
Detector(s) used
Whites SL90, Surf PI, Minelab Excalibur 800
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
trip mix ¡!!!!!!!!!!??????

If any of you are using trimix down to 200-300 feet what regulators are you using. I'm gearing up for a intro to tech diving class this summer. I've thought about Poseidon's(jetstream, cyclons, xstream ),and Apex XTX200.Everything that I've read so far says these are super regs. Any other comments or suggestions are appreciated
If you don't have a few years of numerous dives FORGET about using mixed gases unless you value life that little. Over 55 years experience diving I built an ROV for depths of 400 ft.

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Bell,

contact Brian Kakuk at bahamas underground he dives trimix and every other mix you can name, his advice is worth soliciting for sure, won't cost you anything to send him an email he's probably one of the best cave divers there is........

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread