Hookah systems

SamDaniels

Tenderfoot
Mar 13, 2007
Hey guys and gals:
I am a retired US Navy First Class Diver (NEC 5342) and an old PADI Divemaster. I have been reading questions in TreasureNet concerning hookah dive system for a whiile now. Some of the questions are very good and some are scary indicating a lack of diving training. I have been researching the various hookah system for personnel use. I have looked at Brownies Third Lung, Airline, and Keene Engineering. Recently I discovered a system called Hookamax. After researching and emailing the company, I ordered a gas engine powered system with 100 feet of dive hose and regulator. I am very impressed with the quaility. The system (G2005C) uses a 5HP Honda engine coupled by direct drive to a Sanborn pump (compressor). The engine and compressor are mounted between two volume tanks. The whole thing weighs approx 85lbs.The second stage regulator is a Scubapro adapted for hookah diving. All parts for repairs are easily obtainable. I can easily mount this system on my 16ft. C-Dory. Their website is www.hookamax.com. The company is very responsive to all questions and inquiries. Thanks people, remember to plan your dive and dive your plan. Be safe. SamDaniels

Zebago

Greenie
Feb 6, 2008
Maine, USA
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II, X-Terra 70 and Tesoro Tiger Shark
Thanks for the great info and input! :thumbsup: You can't get enough Hookah posts. How loud is the unit?

OP
OP
S

SamDaniels

Tenderfoot
Mar 13, 2007
Hey Zebago,
The system is no louder than any other small 4 cycle engine, better than some. I would recommend that the topside safety person (tender) wear soft ear plugs. Vibrations are not bad. SamDaniels

Zebago

Greenie
Feb 6, 2008
Maine, USA
Detector(s) used
Thanks. I was just wondering because I do most of my hunting in small fresh water swimming holes where I wouldn't want to draw attention to myself. Most people don't even know I am there. It looks like they also offer a 12V Hookah. I wonder how loud that one is? Probably just the noise of the pump. Good luck this summer!

Zebago

Greenie
Feb 6, 2008
Maine, USA
Detector(s) used
Wow! Thanks for the link! I have been looking for a while and it is hard to find anything on building your own Hookah on the web. This info will definitely come in handy!

OP
OP
S

SamDaniels

Tenderfoot
Mar 13, 2007
Hey Stan:
I've looked at building my own. I've also looked at using a bank of scuba tanks as hp flasks, reducing the pressure for a volume tank and then to the diver. There is a website where you can order everything you need for either system. The company is Compressed Air Specialties, Inc., www.scubacompressor.com.

I've known sea urchin divers and boat hull cleaners that have built their own; some really well built and others...... By the time you figure the cost to build a unit, plus the time involved to put it together, it is cheaper and far less of a hassel to buy one from any of the better known outfits. I chose Hookamax because it is a well built unit with a built in 4 gal volume tank. Parts are available and it had the best price. It also exceeded my requirements. The company responded to my questions quickly and once I placed my order had it shipped out the next day. They also followed up.

All the available systems use commerically available compressors from Sanborn (aka Coleman), Bauer, Thompson or Ingersoll Rand. Since the units are being sold for breathing air these companies have specified quality assurance procedures that are followed when the units are put together. There are also different airfilters used and I feel sure that these units are throughly cleaned of all machince oils (hydrocarbons) that were used during manufacturing process before they are assembled as diving compressors. The Navy and commerical divers learned the hard way about air purity.

Take care, dive safe. SamDaniels

divewrecks

Bronze Member
Sep 7, 2004
Down South - Marietta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE (land), Aquapulse AQ1B (sea), Fisher CZ-20 (water, beach), Fisher 1266X (woods)
Yes Sam, I recently bought a gallon of compressor oil and a filter from Coltri MCH-6 from Compressed Air. They are nice people. I'm a manufacturing engineer, so part of the fun for me is designing and building my own equipent, if not too impracticle. I will probably get carried away and buy better components than I need, but at least I will know how to get parts for repair and replacement.

I am very familiar with air purity. I do a little partial pressure gas blending on my own. One source I highly recommend for learing about breathing air and gas blending is this book by Vance Harlow:

THE OXYGEN HACKER'S COMPANION, the Complete & Unauthorized Sourcebook on the Use and Handling of Oxygen, nitrox and trimix, for Dive, Aviation and Emergency Use.

http://airspeedpress.com/

As Sam said, there are a lot of truths about gas purity and mixing (some learned painfully), but there are also a lot of myths that have been spread by the dive industry. Read this book and you will see what I mean. Well worth the money. The books on regulator repair and building your own divelights are also great. I also have the one on building HP gas boosters, but it is probably beyond what most "experimenters" will ever need though.

Regards,
Stan

OP
OP
S

SamDaniels

Tenderfoot
Mar 13, 2007
Hey Stan,
Wow, you have the background and knowledge to build these units. Sounds like you are really into it and have done your homework and then some. Thanks for the info, I'm going to check out the book adn website.

I'm not into diving that much. Diving to me is just a vehicle to get to the job site and back safely (an old Navy Master Diver gave me that line and it works for me). When I went dive school we were trained in mixed gas diving, splitting and mixing (HeO2), etc., etc ad nausem..

I researched building a dive system because I could not find one that met my self imposed parameters. After adding up the costs it made more sense for me to continue my search for a pre-designed, pre-built system. I found several decent systems on the market. I chose one that met my requirements.

I also enjoy sharing what infromation I have and learning from others. This exchange demonstrates the knowledge and abilities others have out there. Hopefully it will make people think, research and plan. Stay safe. SamDaniels

OP
OP
S

SamDaniels

Tenderfoot
Mar 13, 2007
Hello again Stan,
Quick question. As a manufacturing engineer, I am assuming (making an ass of you and me, laughter) that you are knowledgeable in mechanical, chemical, electrical/electronic, hydraulic and pneumatics engineering. So my question; is there anyone developing or at least working on heads-up display for divers? I know that it is being used on aircraft, robatic submersibles, military tanks etc. The sensors are now smaller as are the supporting operating systems, look at the small boat sonars by Humingbird, Lowrance etc., now on the market. It sure would be a benifit to a diver if he could flip a switch and have a computer image pop up on his face plate, especially in poor visibliity. Thanks. SamDaniels

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hey Sam, no wonder the people at hookahmax were so courteous. You just paid triple the price! Look at this: https://www.jaeeagle.com/compressors.php. It is the exact same compressor for just $249, not $749 for their 12 volt model!

divewrecks

Bronze Member
Sep 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE (land), Aquapulse AQ1B (sea), Fisher CZ-20 (water, beach), Fisher 1266X (woods)
SamDaniels said:
So my question; is there anyone developing or at least working on heads-up display for divers? I know that it is being used on aircraft, robatic submersibles, military tanks etc.

Hi Sam, my employer uses them on the C-130 and F-22. Sounds like you were aware of that. Both Oceanic (Datamax) and Aeris (Compumask) are marketing a dive computer HUD mask that is the same design. It is around $1200 I think. Time will tell if they catch on or not. For now it is a cool gimmick for the well financed recreational diver. There are also a couple of rebreathers that use HUD's to monitor important variables like PO2 (partial pressure of oxygen).

Stan

divewrecks

Bronze Member
Sep 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Salvor6 said:
Hey Sam, no wonder the people at hookahmax were so courteous. You just paid triple the price! Look at this: https://www.jaeeagle.com/compressors.php. It is the exact same compressor for just $249, not $749 for their 12 volt model!

Of course they did include battery cables, some air line, and a regulator. :)

Thanks for the reference Salvor6.

Sam, what kind of second stage regulator is that pictured on the Hookahmax web site?

Stan

OP
OP
S

SamDaniels

Tenderfoot
Mar 13, 2007
Hey Salvor6,
Thanks for the info, but...wrong system. My compressor is powered by a Honda gasoline engine, not a battery. The air filters have been changed for breathiing purposes and it included 100' of dive hose and regulater.

Stan,
Thanks for the info on the heads-up display for divers. The regulater on the Hookamax is a Scubapro. It is diver adjustable.

Guys and Gals:
I'm going to move on. To summarize:
1: There are a number of hooka dive systems available, Hookamanx, Brownies Third Lung, Airline, Supersnorkle, Keene Engineering to name a few. I chose Hookmax for the previous listed reasons. All these companies will answer your questions and have webpages, You can find them through google.

2: If you are a do-it-yourselfer there is information available. Thanks to Stan (divewrecks) for provideing some outstanding input. It shows that a person can build a quality hooka system. The information is available, there companies that can provide the parts. Do you homework, research and be safe.

PLan your dive and dive your plan.
SamDaniels

JoeSWFla

Jun 15, 2007
Sam,If the Hookamax is the orange unit that they sell on E-bay,that is a good deal.
Was tempted many times to buy the basic compressor form Northern Tools for
under $600,and add the partical filter and snorkle,and adjustable regs.At the price
they sell it for,if you buy all the parts,including the regs. and hoses,you don't really
save a lot,so it's really a great deal.And sense the unit probably has an idle control
rather than a blow out valve,it should get good gas economy.If business turns,and
I can buy a bigger boat,I'd like to have one.Makes for really inexpensive diving,and
great convenience not having to lug all those tanks around-just one gas can.Good
luck on that unit,and give us a product report after using it a while.HH Joe

OP
OP
S

SamDaniels

Tenderfoot
Mar 13, 2007
Hey JoeSWFla,
Yep, sounds like the same unit. You figured it like I did. I built a platform that mounts on my 16ft boat. Since its just me and my wife (she is an advanced diver) we have enough room. She doesn't like to get in the water anymore (diveing wise) but is an outstanding topside tender.
Stay safe. Sam

Sundancer

Feb 14, 2009
Fort White, Florida
Detector(s) used
DFX, Tesoro Lobo
I have a HookaMax and they are great units. I don't use the inflatable that is included.. instead I keep it in a 10' boat (for shallow walking-to spots) and put it in a 14' boat to travel farther. Pic is 10' in the Santa Fe River in FL.

~Mike

100_2846.jpg

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hey Mike, what is the vis like on the Santa Fe?

Sundancer

Feb 14, 2009
Fort White, Florida
Detector(s) used
DFX, Tesoro Lobo
Imagine diving in Folger's coffee.. with a LOT of current.. :-)

~Mike

P.S. Hopefully, this will change soon. Normal conditions are 50'+ vis

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions