Results from finally using my new Hookah system that I bought 7 months ago :)

Captain Loosechange

Nov 24, 2007
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett SeaHunter Mark II, Tesoro Stingray
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, so I bought a hookah system from Octopumps back in Feb. and finally got around to using it this week. :tongue3: I have water hunted quite a bit this season but have not really been anywhere that I thought would give me enough visibility to use it. Finally went to a swimming hole in a creek up in the mountains first of the week that a buddy of mine new of. We used the Hookah and it worked flawlessly, spent a little while just getting used to it, broke out the Excal and he found a cell phone with it. Then I used it and found a whopping 1995 nickel :-\ Still happy that I finally found something while using the hookah. We were both almost hypothermic by then, no kidding the water temp had to be in the 60's. When I started to shiver uncontrollably I decided it was time to get out. He agreed and we decided we would come back to this spot next July or so, water probably never gets very warm here. So today I took my Hookah to a ropped off swim area at one of the local lakes. This place gets hunted every single evening by a couple old timers but I thought maybe out in the deep I might bet lucky :wink: Spent about an hour, found a rubber braclet(eyeball find) and one pocket spill containing 3 quarters and a penny. :laughing9: Had about 2 feet visibility, about 1 foot vis in the creek water. I am not dissappointed in my finds as I compare this to when I first began metal detecting. I am taking baby steps and am sure the good stuff will come later. Hope to use it a couple more times this year before packing it up for the winter :'( Now I am only $609.19 from having it payed for :laughing9: :laughing7: I highly recommend the Octopump Hookah. It works good, is a no frills introductory to Hookah Diving. Not sure how it would hold up to daily use, I think it would be ok but can't say as I have only used it twice but for my "needs" it is perfect. A couple good gold finds or 3 and it will pay for itself. I hope to find some more good spots to use it. Sorry no pics, You all know what 3 clad quaters a nickel and a penny looks like, and the braclet is pink and blue and one of those "Lance Armstrong" types but has something on it about a local newspaper. Thanks for reading my post. HH

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
CL,

Glad to hear it worked out for you. How bout some pictures of your setup?

Robert

Zebago

Greenie
Feb 6, 2008
Maine, USA
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II, X-Terra 70 and Tesoro Tiger Shark
Cool. Happy to see you finally got out. Now its time for a wet suit. :laughing7: How loud is the unit?

Sundancer

Feb 14, 2009
Fort White, Florida
Detector(s) used
DFX, Tesoro Lobo
I agree with getting a wetsuit. The FL rivers here are 72F from springs and warm considerably downstream (summer).. until the next spring feed. Even with 78 - 80F..I am chilled after a couple of hours.. Sooo I have a 3 mil 'shorty' for summer use and a 7 mil [which I outgrew.. (beer) LOL] and need to replace.. Suit is HIGHLY recommended. The best diving here is in the Fall/Spring so even though water here is relatively constant, sitting in the boat between dives is a consideration as well.. we have temps in the teens in Winter.. and the rivers are actually steaming

~Mike

OP
OP
Captain Loosechange

Captain Loosechange

Nov 24, 2007
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett SeaHunter Mark II, Tesoro Stingray
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RGecy said:
CL,

Glad to hear it worked out for you. How bout some pictures of your setup?

Robert
Thanks, I will take some pics in a few days when I winterize it and post them here.
Zebago said:
Cool. Happy to see you finally got out. Now its time for a wet suit. :laughing7: How loud is the unit?
Yea, I think so too. It is not very loud, about like a pressure washer I guess.
Sundancer said:
I agree with getting a wetsuit. The FL rivers here are 72F from springs and warm considerably downstream (summer).. until the next spring feed. Even with 78 - 80F..I am chilled after a couple of hours.. Sooo I have a 3 mil 'shorty' for summer use and a 7 mil [which I outgrew.. (beer) LOL] and need to replace.. Suit is HIGHLY recommended. The best diving here is in the Fall/Spring so even though water here is relatively constant, sitting in the boat between dives is a consideration as well.. we have temps in the teens in Winter.. and the rivers are actually steaming

~Mike
Wow, I didn't realize the water got so cool down there, that creek water was in Boone North Carolina and it was like swimming in Ice Water. I'm sure there is more stuff there, I was just too new to the equipment and too cold to last very long. I'm sure some rings have slipped off in that water, I will definetly be going back in the heart of the Summer next year if nothing happens. Thanks for all your comments. Sorry it took me so long to reply, been busy lately. HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread