Hookamax DC Unit

grumpyolman

Jul 18, 2008
Raymond, WA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac - Tiger Shark - Ace 250 - Fisher 1280-X - White's Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few months ago the Hookamax was discussed here and it piqued my interest. I have/had an Airline 2/60 (2.5 HP two divers to 60') and loved everything about it except the noise. When one is on a public swim beach area it's not neighborly to blast all with your engine running. Sort of like running you generator all night at a tent campground.
I looked at the Airline and the Hookamax. I don't think the Airline will do what I wanted the DC unit to do. So I got the Hookamax.
One picture shows the unit mounted in a good wagon. In that picture you can see the 2 100' hoses, the batteries (two 6 volt deep cycle golf cart batteries connected in series 63lbs each), and the compressor. Other pictures show the lake we were in and I'd say it was a typical swim beach hunt.
The unit ran two divers for an hour and fourty minutes and then one diver for another 40 minutes. When I got home with it and hooked it up to the 'smart' charger it still retained 60% of it's capacity.
Our depth varied from 6" to 12'. The nice thing about the Hookamax, not described on their website, is there is a pressure switch hooked to the accumulator tank. When the pressure in the tank is 100 PSI, the compressor stops running until the pressure drops to around 80 PSI and then it starts again. Many times when we surfaced, the compressor was not running.
I do not think this is the Cadillac of the hookah rigs but I am kind of a Ford man anyway. I am totally pleased with it's easy breathing and the runtime. The reason for the two batteries in series is they can each be lifted and moved. Were it one 12 volt battery with the same capacity it would weigh around 120 lbs. Too much for me I'll tell you.
We should have found much more loot. But we had lots of targets to dig and the 'good' stuff just wasn't there.
Can't remember, maybe the navy diver guy, first introduced the system here and I'm glad he did. It has provided me with a method of doing a lot more places because there is almost no noise. Regards...Jim

Attachments

• DC Hookamax 001.jpg
    DC Hookamax 001.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 764
  • DC Hookamax 004.jpg
    DC Hookamax 004.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 648
  • DC Hookamax 006.jpg
    DC Hookamax 006.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 720
  • DC Hookamax 011.jpg
    DC Hookamax 011.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 765
  • DC Hookamax 014.jpg
    DC Hookamax 014.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 764
  • DC Hookamax 015.jpg
    DC Hookamax 015.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 628

Zebago

Greenie
Feb 6, 2008
Maine, USA
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II, X-Terra 70 and Tesoro Tiger Shark
Thanks for sharing Grumpyolman. I always enjoy your posts on this topic. Noise is a big concern for me also so it is good to know there is a unit out there that is quiet. I will definitely be looking at the hookamax.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Grumpy, thanks for a great post, informative and enjoyable..with pictures to boot!

I am not currently looking for a battery operated hookah, but will definitely consider the Hookamax when I do.

Tom

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was an interesting read. I have used different hookahs in the past for different dives and when working many sites it is the noise that bothers folks the most. This one I have not used. We used to use the 12 volt jobs from Keene Eng. around the sites at night too an that was profitable as you can get into places where otherwise you couldn't cause someone would steal or mess with the compressor. I especially liked the compressor on a boat but then you still needed someone aboard to keep people from stealing the boat or gear. I don't know how many times some boater tried to take my hookah from the water not knowing what it was nor the dive flag.

Nice pictures, thanks for sharing.... :hello:

Sandman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread