ANOTHER CAVE DIVING DEATH

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There will always be old treasure divers but never any old cave divers.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am trained in about everything but Cave diving. It is just the thought that you are surrounded by rock or limestone and won't float to the surface. Any death is a sad thing. :'(

outlaws

Jun 7, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
Whites/Minelab
The training is the most important thing these guys left out. I am full technical cave certified, but I still know and understand my limitations. There are old cave divers but very few old bold cave divers.

Butch

Chaparral

Oct 5, 2008
Niceville, Florida
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500, Infinium LS, Tiger Shark. TDI, E-Trac/SR X-1, Vision/SR DX-1, Excalibur II
outlaws said:
The training is the most important thing these guys left out. I am full technical cave certified, but I still know and understand my limitations. There are old cave divers but very few old bold cave divers.

Butch

That is the truth.... Training and discipline are the keys to safety. BTW, I wonder what "old" is? I'm full cave with a stack of other certifications, and I'm 65. Wisdom comes with age.

grumpyolman

Jul 18, 2008
Raymond, WA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac - Tiger Shark - Ace 250 - Fisher 1280-X - White's Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dove for a county sheriff's department and learned SCUBA before there were cert cards. I'm 67 and I don't do much more than 10-15' anymore. Something is true about wisdom and age. I don't mind admitting it. I just don't like deep anymore. It scares me.

In this state we have large irrigation canals. People dump stolen cars in them and all kinds of other stuff. At year's end divers, PREVIOUSLY, would go down to the end, look for cars, and then they'd pull them back up. Two guys went down and didn't come back. Two rescue divers went down and one was pulled out a few feet from the entrance/surface by the back up diver. Was hospitalized but survived...I think. The other rescue diver didn't make it Before it was over there were a lot of lives lost. The divers all ran out of air. The best anyone has been able to determine, the water temp was so cold that the divers consumed much more energy than expected and just exhausted their air supply. Maybe the rescue divers pushed the limits trying to search just a bit longer. The gist of this story is true. The exact number of people and condition is the best I can remember. I'm sure there's as write up about it somewhere on-line.
Now, they open the gate at the bottom and drain it then they go look for the cars. This was just a big man made cave long and deep.

OP
OP
Salvor6

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Another one yesterday: http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/F/FL_CAVE_DIVING_DEATH_FLOL-?SITE=FLPET&SECTION=HOME

DOWLING PARK, Fla. (AP) -- A north Florida woman reportedly died while cave diving at Peacock Springs in Suwannee County.

The sheriff's office reports that 67-year-old Patricia Barkley had been diving with a partner Wednesday when she signaled to him with her light and then took off in the other direction. The partner told deputies that he caught up with her and put her hand on the safety cable, and they began swimming toward the exit. When the partner looked back, Barkley was swimming in the opposite direction.

After 20 minutes of searching, the partner resurfaced and called for help. Recovery divers found Barkley about an hour later, 830 feet from the nearest exit and 53 feet under the water.

Investigators aren't sure what caused Barkley to swim off.

Lucky Eddie

Feb 9, 2010
67-year-old

That's the great thing about alzheimers, you can dive the same ol place week after week, and every dive is a new one! :tongue3:

Sorry but I read elsewhere that her & partner dived this same place every week. :wink:

I just can't fathom the attraction for cave diving, never could.

Cheers

0Sage1

Jul 30, 2010
Sandman said:
I am trained in about everything but Cave diving. It is just the thought that you are surrounded by rock or limestone and won't float to the surface. Any death is a sad thing. :'(

Not much difference between being surrounded by rock and being surrounded by steel or wood as in wreck diving. Any diving with a ceiling requires training and experience. Still... s@#% happens.

OP
OP
Salvor6

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
OSage is right. A shipwreck lying on its side can produce some weird sights inside the passageways. I also have to wonder what a 67-year-old is doing in inside this cave. I made about 15 dives in the Peacock system and its incredibly beautiful. The water is crystal clear all year round.

leefields

Feb 25, 2008
Lake Hamilton Florida 33851
Detector(s) used
Excall 2 w/Anderson shaft ...
Minelab CTX 3030 ...
Minelab GT
sorry to hear

i am sorry to hear of any death while diving and last week we lost Wes to an open dive...in 70 ft of open water....only God knows...

i am padi certified and wanted more but to be honest....they named a guy off the Sapranos show for me....big p**sy

i am not going into any cave or wreck....it is just not happen....get a wake up call...youtube "scuba dive death"

want to die...todays your last day...ready to check out...put your gear on...crawl down to the cave entrance and go in...i mean 10 ft or more....

i think the story i remember most was a local kid diving one of the springs here in Central Florida...young kid....lost inside

so he knows his time is limited...takes off his tank...and with his knife scratches a last note to his family on the tank...

or how about the 3 brothers that were lost caving....all three...all three...

or how about the recovery diver that was being filmed going after the body of a diver that was already known dead...and they were filming for discover or history or natgeo...or someone...
comms with the surface are discussing that he is 20 minutes from the cave entry....he says he is down to 5 minutes air and knows that he is out of luck...

if i cannot see daylight....and i cant hold my breath till the surface....i aint going....B (with capital B) ig P**sy.....someone calling me..... :dontknow:

OP
OP
Salvor6

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I know the kid that died in Central FL. That was Jason Tuskees. He worked at Weeki Wachee Marina. He went into a notorious sink hole called Jennings Sink and stired up the silt, got stuck, couldn't get out. He scratched "I love you Mom, Dad and Christian" (his brother) on his tank. He was 16 years old. That was in 1992. It was a tragic loss that still haunts me. They closed off the area for years. In the summer of 1986, 13 divers drowned in Ginnie Springs until they finally sealed off the cave permanently with steel bars. If you want to go cave diving or wreck penetration diving, GET CERTIFIED for this activity or else you might as well go skydiving without a parachute!

OP
OP
Salvor6

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Dave Shaw died Jan, 2005 diving 271 meters deep in the Boesmansgat Cave in S. Africa, attempting to recover the body of another cave diver that died 10 years earlier. Dave had a video cam attached and was backed up by 11 support divers.

Dave Shaw took only 10 minutes to descend 271 metres to the bottom of the Boesmansgat Cave, half the time planned, to Deon Dreyer's skeleton.

Video footage shot by Mr Shaw indicates that about 25 minutes after the world-record diver entered the freshwater cave last Sunday to recover the decade-old remains of Mr Dreyer, 20, Mr Shaw also was dead.

In a bizarre twist, the Australian airline pilot's body was unexpectedly pulled to the surface on Thursday attached to Mr Dreyer's. Mr Shaw had became tangled in the nylon line he had attached to Mr Dreyer's remains.

Divers retrieving equipment left behind by Mr Shaw found the bodies 20 metres beneath the surface. When the line attached to Mr Dreyer was pulled, both bodies came up.

While an autopsy has yet to be completed, the video camera specially designed for the recovery mission, and worn on Mr Shaw's helmet, has provided a record of his last minutes alive.

Boesmansgat Cave, in South Africa's Northern Cape province, is the world's third-deepest freshwater cave. In October, Mr Shaw, 50, a Hong Kong-based pilot, became the only person to have dived 271 metres with the help of rebreather apparatus, which enables divers to recycle air. Cave diving is not for Big p**sy's.

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
If you do want to go diving in these dangerous places with a buddy or alone (not recommended), remember these two words...

...dive reel.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread