florida shipwreck laws

doubloonhunter

Jul 1, 2005
CT/FL
Detector(s) used
excalibur minelab .. Etrac on order... Minelab safari back up
can anyone give me the real truth to the current state of obtaining a exploratory lease for a underwater area.. is the state giving them? i know they say yes ye yes but is it selective.. meaning if they like u or not. they claim there is no moritorium but seems like there still is. no new leases being granted... i heard they were saying yes we grant leases but deny everyone assumingi they dont like ur archealogist or team or diver etc.. ? can anyone shed light.. thanks... the recent fisher wreck expansion site caught my eye... god i hate modern day government...we need a revolution in this country..isnt that what happen with england why we defected? england got greedy went beyond their reach of power..? we branced off. well im ready to branch off and make my own laws too lol

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doubloonhunter, welcome aboard TreasureNet! I have a link for you to follow that should get you headed in the right direction. I also have some PDF files with the State of Florida requirements that I may be able to email you with more information. However, the cold hard truth is that the State of Florida DHR is less than cooperative with treasure hunters these days. Yes, you can still get exploration leases, but that seems to be about it these days.

http://www.flheritage.com/archaeology/underwater/laws.cfm

Tom

Reactions: ARC

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
sure you can get look and find permits --no problem so long as you got thru the "process" pay a buncha fees and give over copys of all the data you collect to the state as part of the cost of doing bussiness -- now however when you ask for the actual "recovery" permits so you can "actually" recover things to sale and make that dirty word --"profiets" ---well thats a "NO"-- sorry you can not have one of those "permits" for "whatever reason" --pick one of many BS reasons

so if you like to spend money on "research" permits and data collection to assist the state of florida ( you must share the info you get as part of the permitting "process" with the state of florida) ---without any hopes of ever turning a fiscal profiet , then by all means --apply for exploration (research) permits to your hearts desire .

its a sort of crooked shell game they play --the old multi permit hustle * let you have all the permits you need but the last one * the all important "actually recovery" permit --in the meanwhile folks gather lots and lots of free data for the state of florida while doing "research"--plus paying fees for those "research" permits and giving lots of free info to the state with nothing in return fiscally -- basically its a flim flam game run by the state arch dept. and sooner or later its going to wind up in court -- most likely on the grounds of of illegal restraint of trade and not acting "in good faith" with the fisher case court agreement that stated that the state of florida had to set up a "permitting" process whereby --permits would be issued in the future *-- via various means the state has not issued any new "harvest permits" for new wrecks many many years -- as a matter of fact --its very clear they do not really intend to issue new permits because their lack of issuing any for the last 20 years -- and is something that the various archies type both those with the state and others in the "college and private sector" brag about bring "proud of". --so clearly it not by "accident" but by design that this has occured.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
All the treasure hunters that have a search permit but were denied a salvage permit need to get together and file a law suit against the state. If there is enough of you, you might be able to get "class action status." This would really be a wake up call. I don't know why you guys don't do this. You might even be able to get your court costs reimbursed.

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Tom. Ivan and Pete, Everything you say is true. How did the state acquire so much power over us? These folks have the ear of Tallahasee because they are there. Being funded by our money, they work against us. In reality, they are a very small group, much smaller than us. What they have that we don't, is the time to keep harping their interests. They can lobby on government time.
I like your idea Pete, sue them! The only problem here is money. Usually the guys that put up the money for all the permits are pretty much like the rest of us...broke. Now if somebody like "Biker Lawyer" for example wanted to take up the cause I'll donate a hundred bucks to the lawsuit. I know thats not much, but it's all I can afford. If some others would do the same, maybe we could actually come up with enough to make a difference.
Any ideas?

Aquanut

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
State legislature.

First, this area is not a democracy.

There's bound to be a state legislator that is sympathetic; get to him and see what he says.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
All the salvage companys that spent thousands on research and searching. Well, they can spend a little bit more on litigation.

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Bum Luck,
You got anybody in mind? The whole damn political system is about "what can you do for me"! It's no longer about what is right, but what is politically correct and advantageous to the politician. Our numbers are few, we have little money and our purpose is not one that necessarily benefits the public. So I have to humbly submit myself as a candidate for "the People"!

Time to move this thread to the broader public!

Aquanut

wyobuck

Dec 1, 2009
Orange City, FL
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000, Xterra 705, Surf PI DF
Here's an idea, all of us treasure hunters with boats could cause a gridlock ( I guess on water it would be considered a blockade) :icon_pirat: at Port Canaveral. That would get some attention Lol. Do you think a sub would sink one of us?

So do we need an exploratory permit to walk in the surf with a metal detector, outside of a leased area of course?

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
aquanut said:
Bum Luck,
You got anybody in mind? The whole damn political system is about "what can you do for me"! It's no longer about what is right, but what is politically correct and advantageous to the politician. Our numbers are few, we have little money and our purpose is not one that necessarily benefits the public. So I have to humbly submit myself as a candidate for "the People"!

Time to move this thread to the broader public!

Aquanut

No, I don't live in Florida, so I don't have any idea what the specific legislative landscape is, but as a general rule, just start learning about the legislators, where they are on issues, and who might be sympathetic. Google is a great tool, saving tons of time.

I hate to sentence you to get involved :) , but maybe laid up with your knee, you could spend some. Archies are a fringe benefit to society, and they may not get seen as essential by all.

Feel free to PM me, since typing is a chore for this coordination impaired fellow.

Plat

Tenderfoot
May 10, 2010
Florida
Detector(s) used
White's Classic 3
being my first post here, howdy hello hi all glad to greet ya.

I think the laws against what we do in the waters are unfortunate which also create modern day pirates of booty. it's Florida's own fault when they lose critical documentation of these items recovered from shipwrecks, its the simple fact of...ok picture yourself in the water and spot a shiny gold coin lying right on top of the sand...so...what you can't touch it nor pocket it and resell for personal gain? isn't that what this country was built on? So you must just leave it there!?! It's not the U.S.'s treasure anyways (most of it). Ridiculous. Freedom shall prevail and i'd love to see a full out lawsuit. :icon_pirat:

oh and i love the Port Canaveral blockade statement lol im down for it!

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hi Plat and welcome to Tnet. Where are you located?

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard TreasureNet Plat! and welcome to the fight. Our Representatives in Tallahassee and in Washington have lost their way. We need to use our power and vote them all out of office. Everyone can start by asking the questions of the candidates running for office their position on issues related to treasure hunting in general and specifically on the current laws in the State that you hunt. Find a candidate who supports your position and throw him or her your support.

Tom

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
doubloonhunter said:
can anyone give me the real truth to the current state of obtaining a exploratory lease for a underwater area.. is the state giving them? i know they say yes ye yes but is it selective.. meaning if they like u or not. they claim there is no moritorium but seems like there still is. no new leases being granted... i heard they were saying yes we grant leases but deny everyone assumingi they dont like ur archealogist or team or diver etc.. ? can anyone shed light.. thanks... the recent fisher wreck expansion site caught my eye... god i hate modern day government...we need a revolution in this country..isnt that what happen with england why we defected? england got greedy went beyond their reach of power..? we branced off. well im ready to branch off and make my own laws too lol

I didn’t know the Fishers expanded their lease area. If so in what direction?

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The Fishers have either sold their admiralty rights on the 1715 fleet to another party, or signed over the management rights to them. (see Terry's link on the 1715 subcontractor meeting post in "shipwrecks")

Are you talking about their E-89 area to the north (which was actually "expanded" more than 12 years ago) or the extension into the south Power Plant area?

Tom

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
mad4wrecks said:
The Fishers have either sold their admiralty rights on the 1715 fleet to another party, or signed over the management rights to them. (see Terry's link on the 1715 subcontractor meeting post in "shipwrecks")

Are you talking about their E-89 area to the north (which was actually "expanded" more than 12 years ago) or the extension into the south Power Plant area?

Tom

I don't know the gentleman who started this thread wrote "the recent fisher wreck expansion site caught my eye" so thats my question...what recent wreck expantion site?

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The two I mentioned are the only 'recent' expansions on the east coast.

carl fismer

Jun 23, 2007
It is almost unbelievable what has happened to us. I have bumped heads with the bureaucrats for years. Its a long story. Its a horror story, but the bottom line is they want you out, and they believe the means justifies the end. Lie, cheat, steal, squander tax money, a bureaucrat has no honor, integrity, or self respect. If they did, they would earn a living. Bottom line, you have two choices in life. Earn a living or get a government check. Mel Fisher was in Federal Court 113 times. If not for his tenacity we would already be out. Men like Mel, Art McKee, Jack Haskins, D.L. Chaney, led the way for the rest of us. These men were screwed time after time, but still persevered. Washington D.C. has screwed us illegally many times. Bill Bradley, Ted kennedy, Jim Wright, LLoyd Bensen, Yes, and even Ronald Regan screwed us. Lately it has been George Bush senior, Bill Clinton and his hatchet person Janet Reno. I never did think she was the best man for the job. When they are sworn in, they swear to uphold the Constitution, but once they are in the Constitution means absolutely NOTHING. They are power happy, money grubbing, immoral, criminal, lying, whore mongerring, sons of bitches. All of them. November 2nd is the last chance to save the Country, and hopefully our right as Treasure Hunters. In Washington D.C. its a CLUB. They are all members. None of them has you interest at heart. Capt. Carl Fismer

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Welcome aboard Carl! I've heard your stories for years and am really pleased you've joined us! I even got to see you recently on Pawn Stars of all places. Now, about your post. Don't sugar coat your feelings, you can open up and say exactly what you're feeling on this forum.
Aquanut

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread