Two Questions Please...

lidigger

Sep 4, 2010
Savannah, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur, White's BeachHunter 300, White's Prizm IV, White's Bullseye II Pointer (x2)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

Two quick questions on water detecting.

1) While detecting the beach yesterday I dug up a large hook with an eyelet on it. It's probably about 20lbs and about 2' tall. It was encrusted with years of being left in the sand. What is the best way to clean everything off of this? I'm sure it would look great back to its original state. I also found a small heavy bar in the same state. I'm wondering if it was a cleat.

2) My primary goals of detecting were to a) search the beaches - 70%, b) go in to the water about waist/chest high - 25% and c) eventually dive - 5%. The metal detector that I currently have (Garrett GTI 2500) is nice, but can not handle this type of detecting. What detector would you suggest up to a $1300 price range? I've heard about the Excalibur 1 and found one locally used, but wanted to do a bit of research first before rushing into anything.

Thank you in advance for any helpful advice!

Chris / LI Digger

White Feather

Nov 19, 2008
Ellenton, Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster, Bounty Hunter, Propwash...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:laughing9: Ahoy lidigger, Your first question I will leave for those with better knowledge than I have in that department. As for your question about water detectors, I favor the White's Surfmaster. It has served me well for over 20 years. It works equally in the water, in wet sand and on land. I have used it down to 70 feet without a leak. In 21 years it has been in the shop 3 times. Once for a damaged coil, once to have new headphones installed and this time it has both of the same problems. The coil was damaged when I mailed it in to have another set of headphones installed. So much for packing and postal fragile markings. I think someone dropkicked it into the aircraft storage compartment.
Anyhow, I hope this helps. I have used the White's Surfmaster in all kinds of weather, all kinds of situations and in several countries. It just is a good machine and keeps right on beeping.
We were getting ready to head out to start another cruise but the wife had a bad fall yesterday and is in the hospital. We will postpone our trip until she is recovered.

Mongo Says, "Get metal finder, go find Gold metal. Clean finds with big rock!" :laughing9:

Reef Dawg

Dec 30, 2008
Delray Beach
Detector(s) used
Aqua Pulse Klein Side Scan Sonar

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread