Equinox 900, DFX, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Killer B Hornets, Stealth 720i scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
You want to make sure it is lined with PVC. I was just at Harbor Frieght and had a quick glance and some of theirs is lined with PVC, and some is just rubber-you dont want the rubber hose. Also that it is sturdy enough that wont kink and cut off your air if a loop is tightened. I have used Home Depot PVC lined hoses for many years. Works fine, is very bright so boats can see it, and seems to hold up well. No taste in the air.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I use Harbor Freight PVC hose and it leaves a plastic taste in my mouth.

OP
OP
niffler

niffler

Mar 19, 2008
Coos Bay, Oregon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, DFX, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Killer B Hornets, Stealth 720i scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I'll play it safe and go with Keene hose. I think it is made in America. Niffler

CaptainJimMims

Tenderfoot
Dec 20, 2010
Upper Caribbean Sea
Detector(s) used
Aqua Scan
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Disclaimer: This information is to be used for educational purposes only. The contributors will assume no liability for the misuse of this information. Caution is always advised when using life support equipment both above and below the water.

My experience with HF pvc air hose is as follows: (Note: This is Not for OSHA apps.)
1. To prep a 50' HF pvc air hose for use as a hookah hose, I uncoil the hose into 5 or more large hoops and lay them flat, on a hot sunny day, directly on top of a black top driveway or parking lot. (make sure no one will drive over them by securing the area for an hour or so)
2. Allow the hose to warm up for 30 minutes, then pour (squirt) a solution of 1 quart of warm water mixed with 2 ounces of Simple Green completely into the 50' hose. Cap the ends once all of the solution has been added. It help to have an assistant with beer nearby to lend a helping beer, I mean hand.
3. Allow the hose to get a 5 minute internal soak while giving it (the hose) a few shakes every now and them or in between swigs.
4. Then flush clean with clear water and run air through it for 5 minutes.
5. Let it warm up again the same way as in step 1 & 2 but no more solution or water is needed. This should remove all or most of the offgassing industrial compounds that cause these hoses to leave a vinyl after taste or plastic smell in the air supply.
6. Install 50' HF hose as needed for your hookah and breathe, breathe, breathe.

I hope some find this info helpful.
Also, adding a strength member made of floating black or yellow 3/8" twisted poly propylene line is highly rec comended to
insure minimal strain on the air hose when tending and retrieving diver. (esp. on a non OSHA app)

Note: Most all HF pvc hoses become very stiff when the air temp or water temp falls below 68f. The colder it gets, the less pliable the hose becomes, and could pose a problem. The more expensive industrial hoses made for breathing air by suppliers of commercial diving system components do not have that problem and are a must for all OSHA apps.

Attachments

• JMM10.jpg
    JMM10.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 1,550

AUVnav

Mar 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cap,

Good advice. PVC, when extruded, uses petroleum based oil to keep it from sticking to the extruder and itself. PVC bottles are flamed to burn this off, especially food grade ones. This is done right at molding, so the oil doesnt taint the plastic. The airhose wouldnt be flamed, so it must be 'pickled'. Your method seems good, warming it up. I do much the same, but at the ends hook a small pump (the drill pumps work great) with the hose filled with simple green, (you may also try food grade ethylene glycol) and the ends on the intake and outlet of the pump. When the pump runs, it circulates through the line and does a really good job.
Another option is to keep up with the commercial divers and get ahold of the old ambilicals. The airline may still be good.
While Simple Green and FGEG are 'safe' to each his own. Try a bit of this first to see if you get a reaction, or just cant stand the smell.
as you say...nothing implied here other than ideas.

CaptainJimMims

Tenderfoot
Dec 20, 2010
Upper Caribbean Sea
Detector(s) used
Aqua Scan
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
@UAVnav, The pump idea is a real good method to use for cleaning for sure. I even use my ultrasonic cleaner to do the fitting ends as well, just to be safe. We use umbilicals on an almost daily basis, and we make field slices as needed too, when a hose seperates or leaks, until we get it replaced. Hoses are cheap...especially the HF brand! lol. As you can see in the photo of my previous post, the umbilicals have 4 to 5 members. The 5th member is usually for hot water from our dive heaters...(3/4" CP red air hose). Not being used at the time when the photo was taken. Thanks for posting the added advise! I've added a photo of the first astrolabe we found in the D.R. It is from one of the 15th century wrecks in one of our lease areas. Enjoy.
Semper Deep,
Cpt. JM Mims, CEO Mimscorp Diving
www.oceandiving.com
www.arsdr.com

Attachments

• Astrolabe.JPG
    Astrolabe.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 852

AUVnav

Mar 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice piece for sure. :icon_thumright:
I have spent many hours building umbilicals. Its nice when the company isnt too cheap to pay for the diesel for the hot water feed!
Given the life safety issue, I still feel its better just to buy the rated hose from a commercial dive shop, hell, even in commercial use, they last a long time, its mostly the comm cable that makes you toss the whole lot, hence my comment that others could use what we throw away all the time.

Semper Fortis

Harvest

Apr 6, 2008
Daytona Beach, Fl.
Detector(s) used
Whites SL90, Surf PI, Minelab Excalibur 800
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Like that I hope you're using an oil-less compressor okay Harbor Freight is cheap user hoses and prepare for a cheap funeral your lungs are very fragile

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread