Diving Equipment Help Needed

Reef Dawg

Dec 30, 2008
Delray Beach
Detector(s) used
Aqua Pulse Klein Side Scan Sonar
Being a NAUI Dive Instructor, I'd have to say that I'm really concerned that a novice who is without even the Open Water Certification, is talking about depths of 300 feet. Even after thousands of dives, I still reserve my adventures to no more than 100 foot dives. (Max) In most cases, and places to dive, you'll find plenty under Mother Ocean in depths of 40 to 60 feet.

My advice dear friend? Get the education, then the certification, follow it up with years of diving experience and then explore the possibilities of dives that exceed 130 feet.

Reef Dawg

grumpyolman

Jul 18, 2008
Raymond, WA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac - Tiger Shark - Ace 250 - Fisher 1280-X - White's Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you took a certification course and reread your post you would realize how ignorant that post is. 300'? Give me a break. Ever thought what it'd be like hanging in the water at 125' for hours? Better have a heated suit to do that without becoming hypothermic.

There's tons of good suggestion being given here. Heed them or be dead. Sorry for being so blatant, but what you describe in your post is what a cert course is for, that's where you will learn the things you ask, and I am amazed at all the kindly suggestions to try to keep you alive. If I am not kind and that jars you into a different thought process, I have accomplished what I feel I needed to do to 'help' you. Jim

wrecker

Mar 5, 2008
Germany
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Minelab Excalibur 1000
During your certification course you can ask your instructors everything you want to know. Getting certified doesn't automatically make you a good diver like getting your drivers license doesn't make you a good driver. I highly recommend taking continuing courses after getting first certified. As a scuba instructor I was teaching PADI and SSI programs for more than 10 years in different countries and oceans, I certified more than 1000 students and have more than 5200 dives under my belt. So I guess I've got some experience. But still I got into a couple of dangerous situations over the years. What I want to explain is: the crash course you want is not going to teach you enough to survive. The water is a potentially dangerous environment. Be safe and good luck.

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
Bro.....you've already heard it a dozen times but here it comes again....GET CERTIFIED! Even the most experienced divers get into trouble unexpectedly - most survive thanks to their training. Hopefully you would never hop in a plane with the intent of flying simply because you know that if you push the stick forward the nose goes down and if you pull it back it goes up - but diving without a certification is almost as foolish.

As a diver for over 20 years, I respect and welcome your desire to enter this realm. But please do yourself, and loved ones a favor and get the certification! I have had my fair share of close calls and I speak from the heart.

Best wishes,

Pcola

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
No need to post here anymore. Dreamsofgold made that 300 ft. dive and he is no longer with us.

outlaws

Jun 7, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
Whites/Minelab
dreamsofgold said:
Hello everyone.. I need a crash corse education in diving and equipment .. I am going to be obtaining my dive cert in the soon future but at this point I am not even at the Ameture stage lol .. So, I need to learn about the pressures of different depths and what kind of equipment is needed for the various depths.. Any opinions on what type of equipment would be needed for a dive 300ft or less.. Any suggestions, information, opinions or knowledge will be greatly appreciated.. Thanks

If you are really wanting to go to 300' be prepared to empty your bank account. By the time you get to this certification level you will have invested 20 to 30 thousand dollars US. This is training and equipment. These are numbers that were bounced around on another forum of tech. divers I visit. And I must concure that it is pretty accurate.

Butch

mohicanjoe

Feb 8, 2009
Nokomis
Detector(s) used
MineLab Xcalibur
Goday !

Need help, eh ?

http://www.fantaseascuba.com/ ask for Jim.

If you need to ask, you need a course. Just remember that just like all the other comments, you can get bent at depth with mix. You will need ready access to a unbender, eh??

If you need a platform, crew, and equipment after speaking with Jim, call 941-488-2257.

To this point you have been give excellent advice, especially from the guys that have lived it.

Cheers,
Joe

DiverBarone

Tenderfoot
Dec 29, 2010
rec diving should be no deeper then 130' you talk of 300 fsw you are no were even ready for that kind of a dive. Better go to a commercial dive school for those depths. I have been down to 760 fsw in SAT for 15 days and it was no fun,hard work and hard on the body.

Slugrusher

"""A 10 minute, 300 ft dive I did on 12% O2 Heliox surface supplied had a 83 minute decompression that started at 120 ft . better get alot of dives in the 150 to 200ft range before even attempting to go further."""

Bingo!! Send an ROV, you're family will be pissed when it doesn't return (loss of investment), but you'll be glad you're still around.

Oilfield Diver

Aug 25, 2011
Republic of Texas
With the company tables we used, a 300 ft. HeO2 surface pop with a 60 minute bottom time requires approximately an 8 hour decompression profile, roughly 4 in the water and 4 in the chamber before you could walk at sea level pressure among the other earthlings. For scuba, I would follow "Reef Dawg's" advice above, it is on the mark. Personally, on scuba I would have to have a pretty darn good reason to go 130+ ft. without having a recompression chamber on board. There is nothing like 100% oxygen under chamber pressure, the best medicine in the world.

mohicanjoe

Feb 8, 2009
Nokomis
Detector(s) used
MineLab Xcalibur
yes,

please call terry at depthfinders dive in port charlotte florida, then call jim at fantasy scuba, down the street. they can cut their schedule to meet your needs.

these gents can get you to 300 feet. it is up to you if you come back.

tim

divin4gold

Sep 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hay packerbacker.....every 33 feet is an atmosphere. At the surface we are at one atmosphere. At 33 feet you are at two atmospheres and so on. Moreover, if you hold your breath from thirty feet and surface, your lung will collapse! Basically, your not letting it fill with air, therefore, it collapses and falls off its stem. The exploding description is dramatic at best.....lol..

divin4gold

Sep 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would imagine that as a instructor, that you would know that you are not going to scuba dive on conventional gear to 300 feet, thats absurd!! I dove 225 feet with twin 92's packed on me with another 92 tied off at 100 feet for my decompression. I suffered slightly from Nitrogen Narcosis but the dive went well. There is no way a guy is going to dive to three hundred feet with conventional dive gear, i don't care how many tanks he takes with him. You would narc out before you even reached that depth and your residual nitrogen time would be astrpnomical. Now, unless the had a hypobarric chamber at surface you could jump into as soon as you reched the surface, then you might have a chance.

Its hard hat diving all the way, mixed gas and even liquid to breath at that depth. Just say'in!!

MPH200

Oct 26, 2012
Austin, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Like has been said above, this thread is from 2006. It belongs in a museum. :laughing7:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hay packerbacker.....every 33 feet is an atmosphere. At the surface we are at one atmosphere. At 33 feet you are at two atmospheres and so on. Moreover, if you hold your breath from thirty feet and surface, your lung will collapse! Basically, your not letting it fill with air, therefore, it collapses and falls off its stem. The exploding description is dramatic at best.....lol..

If you breath compresses air in at 33' and go to surface holding your breathe, your lungs will explode not collapse. Just saying unless the laws of physics have changes. Take a balloon to 33' and partially fill it with air you just breathed in from your regulator. Take the ballon to surface and it will double in volume.

Last edited:

Harvest

Apr 6, 2008
Daytona Beach, Fl.
Detector(s) used
Whites SL90, Surf PI, Minelab Excalibur 800
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Okay the first thing you have to do is put me in your will because if you want to be a diver die for about 2 or 3 years less than 100 feet if you go more than that you're going to die I have been diving 4/50 fifty-five years and you are probably one of the most stupid people I have ever encountered forget 300 feet if you want to go that deep I have an ROV that will go 500 feet oh one more thing don't forget to put me in your will if you think your going to die that type of a depth with no experience

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Okay the first thing you have to do is put me in your will because if you want to be a diver die for about 2 or 3 years less than 100 feet if you go more than that you're going to die I have been diving 4/50 fifty-five years and you are probably one of the most stupid people I have ever encountered forget 300 feet if you want to go that deep I have an ROV that will go 500 feet oh one more thing don't forget to put me in your will if you think your going to die that type of a depth with no experience

Harvest what are you doing? Do you realize that this guy posted over 10 years ago? You belong on that stupid people list if you think he would put you in his will. Would you put me in YOUR will?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread