New diver propulsion sled

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I ran across a new diver propulsion sled that they claim can also be set to fun autonomously by Shark Marine in Canada that I thought might spark some ideas/discussion.
The company doesn't list a price in the news release that I found in their newsletter, the picture is a rendering from a CAD drawing, and they do not mention on their website anything about this product as of today (04/29/2013). I am sure it will be pricey if it goes into production, but it sure looks interesting.
Some interesting ideas that could be of use to some folks. You will find the description and rendering on pp 2-3 in the newsletter at the link below. I also appended the text just in case the link goes dead.
Some of the attributes of their navigation and sonar systems might be especially useful in low-viz salvage work.

http://www.sharkmarine.com/news/SharkByte_2013_Issue_1.pdf

Shark Marine Technologies Inc. introduces the next generation of Diver Vehicles: The MAKO DDS marks a new evolution in diver transportation by
combining a propulsion device with the Shark Marine Navigator, Diver Held Navigation and Sonar Imaging System. Th is combination provides
a system that is capable of automated flight paths, from a simple “Goto Target” to complex Survey Routes, while providing the diver with full
navigation and forward looking sonar to locate and view targets up to 250 metres (810 ft .) away.
The MAKO DDS comes in 3 configurations with 4, 6, or 8 thrusters.
Power is provided by neutral buoyant power cells that can be easily changed, even underwater.
The system can operate with 2, 4, or 6 batteries as standard allowing for up to 10 kilometer operation.
The MAKO DDS has the ability to carry 1 or 2 divers and to tow additional divers or other payloads behind.
The MAKO DDS can be flown manually or controlled using the Shark Marine Navigator, sonar imaging and navigation system for Intelligent Operation. The Navigators DiveLog soft ware provides an easy interface for:
 Goto Target – for re-location of targets
 Survey Routes – for precise search grids
 Waypoint Routes – for long distance underwater navigation
 Auto Depth – to maintain the diver’s position in the water column
 Auto Altitude – to maintain a given distance off bottom
 Auto Heading – to maintain a desired course
 Station Keeping – to remain in one location
 Hover Mode – to hover in one position
The MAKO DDS can also be programmed to operate autonomously without a diver.
Forward Looking Multibeam Sonar provides the diver with a visual image of the area ahead to locate targets and for obstacle identification. Precise navigation is provided by a Doppler Navigation System (DNS), Long Base Line (LBL) or a floating GPS receiver.
Standard DPV’s require the diver to constantly maneuver the unit for both heading and depth while using a depth gauge and compass for dead reckoning. Other sleds with rear thrusters and dive planes provide the ability to steer when moving, yet when stopped provide no control at all and becoming dead weight. The MAKO DDS provides complete control whether moving or stationary.
The Navigator is quickly detached from the MAKO DDS allowing the diver to use it by hand once at the desired location.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread