Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Wow! That was really cool Tommy. When are you going back for the gold?

OP
OP
wreckdiver1715

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold! what gold? LOL, Thanks Pete, heading back to Florida at the end of the week for a short break. However, we will be back down here in Guatemala on the 10th. I have a couple of projects working down this way now, but we will be back on Lake Atitlan very soon.

Last edited:

arkdeath

Jul 28, 2013
San Juan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing video!

Did I hear Oro at the end of the video? :laughing7:

History is such a wonderful gift from our ancestors.

Well done! Waiting for more updates soon.

Last edited:
OP
OP
wreckdiver1715

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday we were informed that the Guatemalan Ministry of Culture and Sports issued an order that prohibits SCUBA Diving on the Samabaj archaeological site, on Lake Atitlan, Santiago Atitlan, Guatemala, because the government does not yet have an adequate management plan of the place.

After that resolution was issued entities involved in the management of the Lake conducted a workshop for the creation of this plan.

Adriana Segura, the Directorate General of Cultural and Natural Heritage, said that the aim is to identify problems affecting the archaeological site and take into account the local Indian authorities.

Indigenous mayors of Santiago Atitlán expressed discomfort because they have not been taken into account, noting that they have knowledge and documents containing information about this place, including the ground that the name is Pa'Jaibal '.

They asked that the management plan will be suitable and especially the revenue generated in any way directly benefit the conservation of the site and the local population.
The ruins were first discovered by a local diver back in 1996, and archaeologists showed little interest in the site until just recently.

Once archaeologists realized the size and scope of the submerged Mayan ruins they decided to keep the location a secret in order to prevent any looting of the site.

In July of this year, a team from TreasureWorks, led by explorer and treasure hunter Tommy Vawter successfully located the lost Mayan City of Samabaj and spent several days diving on and exploring the site.

Aug 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello wreckdiver1715

Thanks for the great post. What an amazing place down there at lake Atitlan. I hope one day to get a chance to visit there, what a beautiful place.

Corp

OP
OP
wreckdiver1715

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are most welcome Corp. Guatemala is a beautiful country with an absolutely amazing history. While I only lived there for a little under three years, and saw many natural and man made wonders I know that I only scratched the surface. I miss the country and the many friends that I made while living down there.
We will be returning to Central America and the Caribbean after the new year to start on our next project, and I'm sure that Guatemala and Lake Atitlan will be on our list of stops.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread