Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Oh holy fresh H-E-Double hockey sticks!Is this you?

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Nice, who pushed the shark out with his foot? Glad to see you got to have your own Shark Week. LOL Very cool, slightly jealous for sure.

Jason

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those whites really want the food in those cages.One day they will get it too.

OP
OP
Whitt

Whitt

Feb 7, 2013
It was the Captain that pushed him out. Thanks. It was an AWESOME trip. Unfortunately, I'm now back in New Jersey diving in denial (if I can't see them they don't exist right?)

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
They caught one this spring at St. John's Pass (south of Tampa where I do most of my diving). I'm pretty sure they don't exist here either. Just try to NOT look like a seal and you'll be fine. :-)

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only good shark is a dead shark.Protected or not the stand your ground law here in florida applies to man or beast.

OP
OP
Whitt

Whitt

Feb 7, 2013
Over the past few years they have tagged a bunch of them off Cape Cod. The satellite data shows that they migrate down to Florida in the winter. They even have an app where you can track them. Good thing they don't stop in NJ!

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
White sharks are pretty much everywhere at some time.In case you don't think they are, take a look at OCEARCH
Hammerheads, bull sharks, tigers...oh my. The more you know about sharks, the better off you are.
Personally, as a diver, I don't like cage diving, shark feeding shows or any other activity that makes sharks (or wolves or mt lions or bears for that matter) lose their fear of humans and begin to relate people with food.

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Thanks for that link Ropefish, that is a nice application they have developed. It is amazing to see the tracks of these sharks and just how far they travel. Great stuff!

captbonnie

Jan 22, 2007
Vero Beach FL
Detector(s) used
AQ1B
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I agree ropesfish. In Hatchet Bay Eleuthera they used to dump the scraps from the chicken slaughter house over on the ocean side the sharks would come in right on time and hit anything in the water . Nobody even thought of swimming with them. Not an association with people giving food just a trained response to food being ther at a certain time..no menu all in the water considered food

OP
OP
Whitt

Whitt

Feb 7, 2013
I appreciate your point. To start, I would say that white sharks never have, and never will fear humans. I respect your opinion, but I feel that the educational benefits regarding shark preservation far outweigh any risk of sharks associating food with humans. I would be far more concerned with the booming seal populations on the East Coast of the US. I see that eventually leading to more sharks and attacks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread