Trying to use my Surfmaster PI Pro in saltwater

sternpost

Tenderfoot
Apr 10, 2007
I tried to use my above listed detector in the ocean yesterday with zero results. I've been getting familiar with it on land with pretty good results, but when the case is lowered into the salt water. it make dual sounding oscillating tones. If I touch either knob, it just makes a loud pulse. When attempting to test it on large metal, it has to be within 3 or 4 inches to detect said item. Since I'm not sure if I'm the problem or the machine has a problem, I was looking for suggestions from anyone here that might have had this situation and what was done to rectify it. Other than that, can I get recommendations about a good service person in the New England area? This unit just came back from White's service center in Oregon and has supposedly been checked out as OK. It was sent to them for a different problem and now has the 12" dual field coil installed.???
Any set-up suggestions that might help would be truly appreciated. P.S. I checked and the case is not leaking!
Sternpost

Last edited:

dennco2000

Dec 4, 2012
Englewood Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Mark II - AT Pro - Garrett 580 PP.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
My Garrett needs a few minutes for the ground balance to adjust and longer in the water. Seems to take longer the older it gets then I still have to tweak it a bit.

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
I tried to use my above listed detector in the ocean yesterday with zero results. I've been getting familiar with it on land with pretty good results, but when the case is lowered into the salt water. it make dual sounding oscillating tones. If I touch either knob, it just makes a loud pulse. When attempting to test it on large metal, it has to be within 3 or 4 inches to detect said item. Since I'm not sure if I'm the problem or the machine has a problem, I was looking for suggestions from anyone here that might have had this situation and what was done to rectify it. Other than that, can I get recommendations about a good service person in the New England area? This unit just came back from White's service center in Oregon and has supposedly been checked out as OK. It was sent to them for a different problem and now has the 12" dual field coil installed.???
Any set-up suggestions that might help would be truly appreciated. P.S. I checked and the case is not leaking!
Sternpost
Sternpost, When Garrett first came out with their underwater detector. I loved it.
Approx 6 years ago I did a field test on the beach with a new Garrett, Minelab, Aquapulse and a Pulse Star II. I was so disappointed in the Garrett that I swore not to use one again. I even had a Fisher 1280 that had way better results then the Garrett. Hopefully Garrett has improved their detector since then or else the new one I tested was defective. Just my 2 cents.

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sternpost

There is definitely something wrong with the unit. I would send it back to White's. Since you just sent it in, they will probably fix the problem for free. Sounds like you may have a grounding problem that could be related to the new coil.

OP
OP
S

sternpost

Tenderfoot
Apr 10, 2007
I did just send it back to White's. I had the same feeling that it might be a ground problem, other than it's fine with the box out of the water. They said they would check the pulse delay, for one thing. Thinking about it, the reduced sensitivity could be the result of the gain being lowered when the pulsing sound increases as the unit is put under the surface. Something's not right so hopefully it will be obvious to them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread