Signed up for an Open Water class today!

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Exalibur II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I am really wanting to do more under water detecting, so I signed up to get my Open Water certification. Bought a few hundred bucks in basic stuff (fins, shoes, mask, snorkel, wet suit, student books). I am really looking forward to it. Will likely get an Excalibur II or Sand Shark once I get comfortable. I am not that tall, so even in relatively shallow water, snorkeling or scuba would be a lot of fun to detect. I live in South Florida so we have great water with pretty good visibility, I can't wait!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are gonna love it. Always try to dive with a buddy but in shallow water you can snorkel just to watch what you get a beep. I used a ping pong paddle to fan the sand and you can dig with it. Tether it to you or it will float away. I also used a plastic Garrett gold classifier pan to scoop with and again you are going to attach it to you. I always carried two knives, one on chest and one on leg. I liked the flat points with a good fishing line cutter as there is lots of line rolling around the bottom and you can't break it with your hands. I found it helpful to carry a Pony tank with another regulator for safety. Your choice of detectors is excellent. I found using a Hookah more fun than always getting the tanks refilled.:icon_thumleft:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions