Hydraulic tools

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hydraulics are a closed system, so as long as you are operating in diver depths you will never have an issue. The pressure outside the system will have no effect on the pressure inside the system until you get into deep ocean equipment. Deeper than 6 or 8000' fsw there might be cause for armored hoses, but we will let the nice people @ Oceaneering worry about that. Whether your tools will stand operating at depth may be a different issue.
Air tools would be a different case entirely.
You will want to be sure to use a bio-degradable fluid to ensure that if a hose breaks that the escaping oil won't cause a slick and a fine.
I hope this helps.

OP
OP
Whitt

Whitt

Feb 7, 2013
Thanks, I guess I meant to ask more about the reservoir requirements as they relate to the length of hose. Our boat is set up for hydraulic tools, but currently we only have 50' hoses. I'd like to take tools down significantly deeper (as deep as 250'). I guess as long as the hoses are filled with hydraulic fluid it shouldn't matter? I think the reservoir is about 10 gallons. Thanks!

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Whitt,
As long as you have enough to fill the hoses and the reservoir, you are good to go.

OP
OP
Whitt

Whitt

Feb 7, 2013
Great, thanks! I'll let you know how I make out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread