Boat ownership.......the pitfalls and the pleasures....

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I have a great little 22 foot Mako with a cuddy cabin and a huge clear back deck for stuff ( photos below)

There is no alternative but to effect some repairs to the splitting hull through age and probably going out over the years in weather I shouldn't.

I will document turning this already great boat into a shipwreck hunter ha ha........more photos to follow.

image-287817044.jpg

image-3322800941.jpg

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah - I hear ya, I have a 19 foot fishing boat up here in Minnesota. Nice boat to fish and dive from. Though very expensive with maintenance, repairs, storage, & fuel.
Worth it - IMHO, I can go dive any lake and anywhere on that lake.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice. I had to put mine out to pasture a few years ago. Just too much wood rot. Whoever thought fiberglass over wood was a good idea was an idiot.

Aug 18, 2013
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus W/11" coil and 9" HF coil, Garrett AT Pro W/5x8 coil
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Boat= Bring Out Another Thousand $$$

RJGMC

Sep 6, 2008
KANSAS CITY METRO
Detector(s) used
SIMPLEX, EQUINOX AND TESORO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought that everyone knew a boat was a hole in the water that you pour money into.

RJGMC
HI BOB!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And any previous boat owner remembers the two best days he had with the boat. (You know which days I'm referring to.)
Don.....

Complete rubbish! I loved my boat! I was happy the day I bought it and I was sad when I had to sell it.

OP
OP
SADS 669

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Well here are the first photos of the project you may or may not wish to follow. The first is all the foam Mako put in at the factory and the second is the hull cleared out and ready to move forward......( note there are no cross bulkheads just two fore and aft stringers) image-659231398.jpg image-702475194.jpg

image-2525589150.jpg

image-3091556018.jpg

Last edited:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I was going to refer you to Nick Maillis, but then I recall you and I had this discussion a year or so ago--regarding the Brig Baltic off Spanish Wells; and Nick. So again, please say 'hello' to Nick and Fiona for m when you next see them; great memories.
Don......

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a great little 22 foot Mako with a cuddy cabin and a huge clear back deck for stuff ( photos below)

There is no alternative but to effect some repairs to the splitting hull through age and probably going out over the years in weather I shouldn't.

I will document turning this already great boat into a shipwreck hunter ha ha........more photos to follow.

View attachment 1081162

View attachment 1081163

I am thinking of getting a boat, admittedly I have a LOT to learn still and will follow this thread, Thanks Sad.

By the way, when the motor is inside the boat like that does it create less drag in the water?:laughing7:

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seriously though,, the center hole was what? and was it only held in with foam? and the two stringers I assume were not the two attachments it looked like the seats bolted to in the floor?

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Dave, I bet that "hole" is actually an access to the fuel tank connections, certification label and sending unit.

sent from a potato with gravy!!...

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I have a 19.5 foot cuddy with a 305 Chevy v8 mercruiser. A couple years ago I put in new manifolds and risers, water pump, battery, trim sending units, bellows, starter and a new propeller after my wife found a submerged rock...hasn't been in the water since and I swear its going in next summer. My 10 year old son wants to do some tubing and some salt water fishing. I will be following this thread as I love boats!

OP
OP
SADS 669

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hi guys, hole in the floor is a fuel gauge on the tank top, I was too cheap to replace a duff fuel gauge on the Dash.

The rails were for a 4 bolt seat that could fit there for fishing in the shade or two other slides at the rear which put the bench seat in the sun but a soft ride, not so much bouncing up and down ( always have some seating near the rear., noisy but comfortable)

The engine is a four stroke that poodles the boat at 5 knots, only used it once, the best money I ever wasted. Got me home from waaay offshore once.

The boat had stringers fore and aft under the floor both sides ( you can see where the fuel tank front was cut) and the fuel tank was in the middle (125 gal) we are moving it up to the front bulkhead ( we'll sort of a bulkhead) and having a thermo well for fish or vitals in the middle, ( or treasure ha ha) this will be thermally covered all round for ice.

The foam was absolutely everywhere under the floor, works great when it's dry Duh...........

Last edited:
OP
OP
SADS 669

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Diesel,

life is not a dress rehearsal, if it's not going to kill your pocket, start your son off right, he deserves no less!!

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Diesel,

life is not a dress rehearsal, if it's not going to kill your pocket, start your son off right, he deserves no less!!
Yeah it's not going to hurt my pocket at all. I intend to spend a lot of time with him on the water this coming summer. Time is going fast.

OP
OP
SADS 669

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Yeah it's not going to hurt my pocket at all. I intend to spend a lot of time with him on the water this coming summer. Time is going fast. sent from a potato with gravy!!...

Well Ram, it looks like you are buying some parts and setting up some boat stuff tomorrow then?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread