Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After reading how horribly that father and son died in Shadow Divers, not something I want to fool with. The other divers said if they had a choice, they would rather slit their own throats than die of the bends.

I think as long as you stay away from the 230ft dives and making runaway ascents for the surface, you shouldn't have to worry about something to that level!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

He didn't die from the bends, whoever gave that quote is an idiot. You don't begin convulsing at depth from DCS. Nothing was mentioned of his dive equipment, but I would hazard a guess that because he was a photog, he was diving a rebreather to eliminate bubble noise. A rebreather failure could very likely tox him out on oxygen which WOULD cause convulsions. That in it's self wouldnt be fatal, but a panicked fellow diver racing him to the surface could have caused a secondary problem of DCS. So if he died from DCS, it's more likely he was killed by fellow divers, not a diving problem.

Anduril

Bronze Member
Aug 31, 2015
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As hobbies go, time underwater (per minute) is really expensive.
That is, if you ignore photography as a hobby, but that's another conversation.... 8-)

Dive computers are a real convenience if you're doing multiple dives, especially across many days.

In my experience however, if you're on a dive boat owned by someone else, a dive computer isn't likely to maximize your time underwater.
For liability and other reasons, the boat operator probably won't let you get anywhere near the calculated/measured limits.
One way to "enforce" this is to require the divers to surface with "x" amount of pressure in the tanks, prohibit Nitrox/mixed gas dives, and enfoce a buddy system (meaning both of you would need computers), etc...

I have an Oceanic console-mounted computer, 12 compartments, I think?
An older unit by today's standards by simple to use, as most are. And definitely convenient, but not for every situation.

I am PADI Advanced Open Water certified, plus several specialties, but I only dive on standard air.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, cattle boats suck! When traveling you just have to suck it up and deal with. If you use a local boat often, they will usually let you dive your own profiles. I did a live-aboard with Blackbeards and we dove our own profiles which was really nice. Of course, doing your own boat dives or shore dives, you are free to dive as often and long as safety and gas permit!

haha, try combining diving AND photography! my video setup is about $4000 for camera, housing and lights.

OP
OP
Boatlode

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
He didn't die from the bends, whoever gave that quote is an idiot. You don't begin convulsing at depth from DCS. Nothing was mentioned of his dive equipment, but I would hazard a guess that because he was a photog, he was diving a rebreather to eliminate bubble noise. A rebreather failure could very likely tox him out on oxygen which WOULD cause convulsions. That in it's self wouldnt be fatal, but a panicked fellow diver racing him to the surface could have caused a secondary problem of DCS. So if he died from DCS, it's more likely he was killed by fellow divers, not a diving problem.

I agree - it didn't sound right to me either, Jason. If he was using trimix, maybe it had too much O2.

I went ahead and ordered the cable. Whats another $50 after I already spent $150 LOL.

Warnberg

Jan 2, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As hobbies go, time underwater (per minute) is really expensive.
That is, if you ignore photography as a hobby, but that's another conversation.... 8-)

Dive computers are a real convenience if you're doing multiple dives, especially across many days.

In my experience however, if you're on a dive boat owned by someone else, a dive computer isn't likely to maximize your time underwater.
For liability and other reasons, the boat operator probably won't let you get anywhere near the calculated/measured limits.
One way to "enforce" this is to require the divers to surface with "x" amount of pressure in the tanks, prohibit Nitrox/mixed gas dives, and enfoce a buddy system (meaning both of you would need computers), etc...

I have an Oceanic console-mounted computer, 12 compartments, I think?
An older unit by today's standards by simple to use, as most are. And definitely convenient, but not for every situation.

I am PADI Advanced Open Water certified, plus several specialties, but I only dive on standard air.

Why only standard air? I'm advanced diver as well with a nitrox cert and never understood why some are so against it..

David

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why only standard air? I'm advanced diver as well with a nitrox cert and never understood why some are so against it..

David

Based on what he said, it's because the cost of diving nitrox on typical vacation dives means that you don't get any benefit from it. Dives sites and time back on the boat means you aren't going to get anywhere near NDL so there is no real extra safety gained either.

Warnberg

Jan 2, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True true, however I have found I just feel better after a multi dive day using nitrox vs regular air.. JMO

Stay safe and good diving

David

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread