Anyone still use an old Aqua Craft Dive Belt??

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I was wondering if anyone still uses the old Aqua Craft Dive Weight Belt? Is there a market for them? I picked one up Saturday at an Estate Auction and it has 4 large "9" or "6" pound Lead weights and two smaller unmarked Lead weights that are possibly "2" pounds. Sorry but I am not sure what the actual weight of each weight is since I have not taken the belt apart to weigh them but with all of the weights on it, it weighs a lot.

Frank

OP
OP
H

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Updated with pics!

I weighed the belt and each Lead Weight individually but did not write the weights down. I had the weights memorized but got side-tracked and forgot them but will re-weigh everything and post them later.

Frank

Aqua Craft Weight Belt.jpg Aqua Craft Weight Belt Buckle.jpg Aqua Craft Weight Belt weights.jpg

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If youre looking to sell, I'd buy if the price with shipping was right

OP
OP
H

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
"Updated with weights!"

Not sure how accurate my' weighing scale is anymore but the following are the weights I got:

Weight Belt with buckle and weights: 30 pounds, 8 ounces

The two smaller weights with no weight marking:

#1 3 pounds, 8.6 ounces
#2 3 pounds, 10.8 ounces

The larger weights which are each marked with a "6":

#3 5 pounds, 10.8 ounces
#4 5 pounds, 11.6 ounces
#5 5 pounds, 11.4 ounces
#6 5 pounds, 10.0 ounces

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just sold two of those weight belts my self last week, the weight is marked on the weights 4@ 6lbs can't see the other two but looks like 3 or 4 lbs. scrap lead around here goes for $2 per pound. 32lbs total so at least $70 + 5 for each belt, maybe $100 to the right person.
The industry has move to using the buoyancy compensatory to hold the weights now. I don't think that is safe, but they didn't ask me.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
The BC's with integrated weights have a proven quick release weight pouch. Just grab the handle and pull 'em out.

Very safe.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The BC's with integrated weights have a proven quick release weight pouch. Just grab the handle and pull 'em out.

Very safe.

Until the retaining system fails and 10 pounds of lead falls out in the middle of a dive, turning you into a polaris missile with lung and ear baro-trauma and possibly DCS .

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This belt makes my back hurt just looking at it.

OP
OP
H

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Until the retaining system fails and 10 pounds of lead falls out in the middle of a dive, turning you into a polaris missile with lung and ear baro-trauma and possibly DCS .

Could you rig a Dive Bag with a quick release to catch the Lead weights just in case of a failure? If the release was intentional, you just hit the quick release on the Dive Bag. I don't dive but think that something like this could be rigged up as Safety backup in case the release fails. Do you all use a Dive Rope attached to the weights to retrieve them later?

Frank

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wear pouch belts with soft sacks. Only I use stainless buckles.

INS-WB210X.jpg

Last edited:

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Huntman - I remember those weight belts fondly. Many years ago and many pounds of uh... let's call it bouyancy ago I only needed about 10 lbs. Now I shudder to think how much I would need. Great find!
HH
dts

OP
OP
H

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Huntman - I remember those weight belts fondly. Many years ago and many pounds of uh... let's call it bouyancy ago I only needed about 10 lbs. Now I shudder to think how much I would need. Great find!
HH
dts

Thanks!

I have never dove under the water since I was about 6 years old when my sister and her friends nearly drowned me in a Public Pool which had lots of Chlorine in it. I swallowed so much Chlorine treated water that I got Chlorine Poisoning and had a severe headache for three days. I have tried a little Snorkeling just under the surface of the water but that is as far as I can get since. It is hell not being able to get over the near drowning incident because before it, I was able to swim the length of the pool twice under water before surfacing and it was a big pool.

They had some other vintage Scuba Gear at the Estate Auction but no tanks or regulators and the price went too high for me to bid on the stuff. Besides, if flippers or wet suits won't fit my' feet, then I very seldom even consider them. I wear a size 17EEEEE shoe by the way. Heck, I fish and hunt and have always wanted a nice pair of bib waders. However, because the makers of waders think that if you have a size 17 boot or shoe, then you much be 8 1/2 feet tall. I picked up a set of waders that would barely fit my' feet about 15 years ago but they were so long in height that I could literally wrap the bib over my' head and tie the straps under my' arms. They worked great if it was raining but it was hell to see where you were going!:icon_scratch::BangHead:

Frank

Last edited:

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I still use a weight belt. The BCD's with integrated weights are too heavy to carry around, especially when strapped to a full tank.

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Other than from the initial open water cert, I have never done, nor seen a weight belt drop....(one done on purpose)

Rmeav8r

Nov 4, 2004
NW Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Nokta Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If youre looking to sell, I'd buy if the price with shipping was right
If that is the case:
Flat rate USPS, I've stuffed almost 70 lbs into a large or medium rate box several times. Best deal for small heavy items and around $15 insured.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread