Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hey Mike, you need to work on that,

I find the best way is to extend your exhale but keep your inhale the same ( otherwise it becomes skip breathing) if you really work on it for a couple of dives it becomes natural, you have to be stress free though to do it.....

TreasureCDave

Jun 5, 2015
Florida Treasure Coast
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

I find the best way is to extend your exhale but keep your inhale the same ( otherwise it becomes skip breathing) if you really work on it for a couple of dives it becomes natural, you have to be stress free though to do it.....

Agreed - People I have dove with and had to cut a dive short were not overweight. They were either not yet comfortable underwater or couldn't compensate their buoyancy properly.

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

I work at keeping my breathing "in for a 7 count/out for a 7 count" although I've been known to count faster or slower depending on the situation. :)
I am a big proponent of pool time and/or going to an undemanding dive spot for practicing skills like properly controlled breathing and buoyancy control. The rapid pace of Open Water classes these days don't allow for enough individual skills practice to ingrain the skills into habits.

So as not to hijack this thread - I will post a question about the above in a new thread.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Thanks for the advice guys. I have no problem with buoyancy control, I think its just a matter of taking off some weight and getting in better shape. Which I am doing. I've dropped 10 pounds in the last month, spending a lot of time on the treadmill and eating less. When diving season arrives, I will be ready to go.

agflit

Mar 25, 2015
Wisconsin, N.C. Fl, Bahamas....wherever the wrecks
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tigershark freshwater...Excaliber 1000 Bluetube, Aquapulse AQ1b, Marine Sonics Centurian SSS
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Boatload.... if your breathing rates are alittle on the high side...may I make you a suggestion?

STOP...diving with all those Sports Illustrated swimsuit models in string bikini's FFS.

sighs...

ag

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Boatload.... if your breathing rates are alittle on the high side...may I make you a suggestion?

STOP...diving with all those Sports Illustrated swimsuit models in string bikini's FFS.

sighs...

ag

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I am in big trouble then at 58 yrs old doing training dives to 200 ft plus regularly on air and TRIMIX ( Heliair) in Deans Blue hole in the Bahamas switching to 50/50 Oxygen at 70 ft then 100% O2 at 20 ft

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1515536490.799303.jpg

Deans Blue Hole 663 ft straight down

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1515536580.524321.jpg

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, the US Navy prohibits anyone over 40 from decompression diving.

Navy decomp diving is a whole different world from recreational decomp diving. The Navy pulls people up as fast as possible and then stuffs them into chambers to do the majority of decompression.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Navy decomp diving is a whole different world from recreational decomp diving. The Navy pulls people up as fast as possible and then stuffs them into chambers to do the majority of decompression.

I have no desire to do any tech diving. Even if there was a wreck full of gold at 250 feet.

I'm down 25 lbs now and still losing, but it is going slower. Maybe this season I won't need two people to lift my weight belt for me LOL.

Dug my old speargun out of the garage, cleaned it up and put new bands on it, so I can do my part in lionfish eradication.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no desire to do any tech diving. Even if there was a wreck full of gold at 250 feet.

I'm down 25 lbs now and still losing, but it is going slower. Maybe this season I won't need two people to lift my weight belt for me LOL.

Dug my old speargun out of the garage, cleaned it up and put new bands on it, so I can do my part in lionfish eradication.

Just take me out to your 250 foot boat of gold. I'll do the diving and split it with you. :thumbsup:

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
You know once you leave Enid you can’t find your....with either hand, and at 250.......??

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hey Kev, is the water there warm enough to dive with a shorty wetsuit? I'm getting cabin fever.

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Warm enough to use a Lycra skin, no wetsuit needed unless you are doing 45 minutes plus....

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Warm enough to use a Lycra skin, no wetsuit needed unless you are doing 45 minutes plus....

I have to fly from West Palm to Nassau, and then from Nassau to Long Island, right?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread