A walk on the deep side

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deep, dangerous and truly inspirational, “A Walk on the Deep Side,” is the riveting account of a golden age in deep diving. Brimming with colorful characters and their record-breaking exploits, it evokes the magical, mysterious and sometimes deadly allure of the abyss.

Between 1999 and 2005, divers made more world-record deep-diving attempts than at any other time in recent history. From DIY lunacy to aquatic mastery on the world stage, “A Walk on the Deep Side” tells the story of driven souls, sudden death and spectacular victory.

In this extraordinary new book, John Kean takes us far inside the highly-charged fraternity of deep-diving misfits, gurus and geniuses who stretch the limits of the possible.

This stirring, uplifting true story about one of the most fascinating and dangerous of all human pursuits will draw in even the most recreational divers who never intend to push their depth limits.

A-Walk-on-the-Deep-Side-Banner.jpg
https://www.amazon.com/WALK-DEEP-SIDE-JOHN-KEAN-ebook/dp/B01N1QUGKI/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Not for me. Sounds like a good way to die.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The guy in the picture looks like he has 9 tanks! I had trouble even carrying one of my 130 cubic foot steel tanks. There is no way that he could have jumped off a boat with 9 tanks on his back.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The guy in the picture looks like he has 9 tanks! I had trouble even carrying one of my 130 cubic foot steel tanks. There is no way that he could have jumped off a boat with 9 tanks on his back.

And that is exactly why it is so dangerous. Lots of equipment, and if anything malfunctions you are too narked to fix it.

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
He Didn't jump off the boat, the support team took the weight and then they pushed him in

Mike, when you dive in the narc zone you use a different gas with an equivalent depth shallower than the narc zone

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
He Didn't jump off the boat, the support team took the weight and then they pushed him in

Mike, when you dive in the narc zone you use a different gas with an equivalent depth shallower than the narc zone

You mean tri-mix, right Kev?

OP
OP
S

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tanks have all the mixes. Air to a depth, (and for the suit) then Nitrox, Trimix, then Heliox. Reverse order coming back up for dec stops. One may be argox for the suit.

Better to hang the tanks on a line and dive the line, but that is not always possible.

Reading that book makes you sick to your stomach...

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread