Goverment considering underwater ROV regulations

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have heard that the US Government is considering regulations (restrictions) on underwater ROVS, in the same light as the aerial ROV's.

In the definition of ROV's, the government is expanding its definition of ROV to include surface and underwater platforms.

This is leading to licensing and operator requirements based on weight, size, and altitude (depth)

Urban Legend

Jun 24, 2017
Tampa Fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can see argument for regulations...
A small fleet of ROVs could wreak havok if properly tooled out..
I this day and age they just want to put their noses in everybody's business..
That being said..
.I think I'll put a command in the software of my untethered Ragdoll Manta that will tell it sit on the bottom and sleep ....until I tell it to wake up and get back to work...:dontknow:

OP
OP
S

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, in some respects, I can see the point of the argument, but in reality, it has taken the FAA over 10 years to even come up with a basic plan for aerials...surface and underwter would be regulated by DHS....so good luck.

Register them along with your weapons!

Urban Legend

Jun 24, 2017
Tampa Fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guess I can follow that logic....
I always register the toys I buy at the store...
Now....for the stuff that gets built on my workbench....:hello:

Klems

Jul 12, 2012
San Diego, CA
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
seekerGH, do you have a source for the rumor? I don't see ROVs being regulated any time soon or before they regulate UUVs or USVs, which are untethered and pose more of a security risk to ships. I'm sure manufacturers such as VideoRay, DeepTrekker, Seabotix, and BlueRobotics would have something to say if this was coming.

OP
OP
S

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are not rumors, these are part of the unmnned regulations under consideration. It is focused on aerials right now with the FAA, but DHS is involved with surface and sub-surface unamnned. These are industry working group, looking at the regs and negotiating with the agencies.
Just as there are ROV operators certs for the working class platforms, that may move to a formal license, which would actually be good for the operators. ROV light/med/heavey, etc. There is the ROV Committee of the MTS for one, IMCA, etc.. This is already in place for the aerials.

Yes, you are correct, it is focused on untethered and line of sight (for surface unmanned), the issue at hand is the definition (size/weight/capability,etc) of what the regulations will govern. That is currently what is being looked at.
There is a void right now, so many agencies are looking to sort it out before it is an issue.

In addition, there is discussion on the tether length before a cert/license is required, and weight /size limits. As a note, any commercial use will require a cert.

Yes, the manufacturers are, and will be involved, as just like the aerials, there will not be grandfather.

Class/weight. License per class, of course training and cert for operators. It will be the same for surface and subsurface as it is for aerial.

As an example, here is the FAA SUAS page:

[FONT=museo_sans]You need to register your aircraft if it weighs between [/FONT][FONT=museo_sans]0.55 lbs.[/FONT][FONT=museo_sans](250 grams) and up to [/FONT][FONT=museo_sans]55 lbs.[/FONT][FONT=museo_sans] (25 kg) and you are not flying under the Special Rule for Model Aircraft.[/FONT]​

https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/fly_for_work_business/
https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/fly_for_work_business/becoming_a_pilot/
https://registermyuas.faa.gov/
https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/fly_for_fun/

Last edited:

Klems

Jul 12, 2012
San Diego, CA
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Thanks for the details, please keep up appraised of what is going on. I'm in the industry and I haven't seen anything in official channels yet. It would be great not to be blindsided by these regulations so I can either meet them or exit the business line. Thanks government, for regulating another one of my R&D efforts.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Just when you think they've run out of ideas to pry money out of our pockets..... Guess they think it's all good as long as they get their money. Might not be too bad for you since it took how long to get the drone rules together and the time it takes them to figure out what they're talking about. Hope this doesn't come to pass because we all know if the fed does it, then all the counties & cities will want their share! Bet Orange County will be first to jump on that band wagon!

OP
OP
S

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw one where the simply did a search and replace on the document, replacing aircraft with surface vessel. Not too much on subsurface except for the definition and some sense of size/weight class, much the same as the class for working ROV.
The main issue will be commercial vs hobby, but in reality, the license fee and registration is minimal.

Registering your ROV so that if you lose it, it could be returned, pretty weak argument.

Last edited:

Urban Legend

Jun 24, 2017
Tampa Fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmmm.....
I usually try to stay out of political conversations as the chances of changing or influencing anyone's opinions are pretty slim.
Just one question...
At what point do we have enough laws ?
Its a dog chasing its tail...we keep electing lawmakers... and they have to look busy...

OP
OP
S

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, with everything becoming self driving and autonomous, there does need to be some thought put into this. Some of the autonomous surface vessels are quite large.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even if there was a regulation like that they would never be able to enforce it.Just like the FAA trying to regulate flying drones.There are millions of them out there unlicensed.

OP
OP
S

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even if there was a regulation like that they would never be able to enforce it.Just like the FAA trying to regulate flying drones.There are millions of them out there unlicensed.

Just like everything else, it will be an issue if there is an incident, or are making money, and you were found to be unlicensed...It has been an issue with commercial use, especially in real estate, where commercial photography of a building has happened, and residents complained of invasion of privacy and lack of license, and prevailed.

As an example, take pictures of the wrecksite and put it on the internet, and you get license questions from authorities.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread