Poverty Island Treasure

Solid info

Tenderfoot
Aug 12, 2007
Wisconsin
The Poverty Island Treasure story has been arranged and rearranged with the same slim two sentences or at most a few paragraphs. Those have been around since the story broke into the diving industry by Skin Diver Magazine in 1969. There are many new facts that appear to support the legend. Fact; The treasure was not been found by the first salvage divers, as has been implied. Fact; The legend first appeared in print in 1907 or 1910. Fact; The chests were not hooked by the salvage crew that were searching in the 1930's no matter what you may have seen on NBC's Unsolved Mystries. There were considerable changes to the story line for the sake of TV time constraints. The orginal 8 minute program was cut to 6 minutes because the program was moved into their 200th Anniversary Show. Most of what you may read in the near future about this subject will be gleamed from a new book that has just been printed. The book is in 8 1/2" X 11" manuscript form and follows somewhat of a sequence of events. Hopefully in the way the actual history may have unfolded. The best part are the flow charts, five pages with arrows pointing to what may have happened next. There is a reason why this book is accruate if not so well definded. But, that reasoning is far beyond this writting. The brief is printed on about 40 pages which would be about 80 pages in a standard book form. The content is about the subject and little else. 'The Poverty Island Treasure Brief' can be found at www.bennettvideo.com

OP
OP
Solid info

Solid info

Tenderfoot
Aug 12, 2007
Wisconsin
Arakronn
You are right on. However, that is what they told Mel Fisher $500,000,000 dollars ago. Any law can be challenged, Admiralty or not. The hard part is not keeping some, or all, but finding it. There are plenty of attorneys out there that would take on a challenge of this size, on a "No win, No pay bases." Case in point is the HMS Edenburgh which sank during World War 2. Two countries had to settle their salvage rights claims because the salvage cost projection was going to $20,000,000. Without a salvage agreement no one would get anything. IE. I'm not going to tell you where it is if you are going to take it all away from me. Bottom line its all about the money. Who can hold out the longest after the find is made. There is a whole bunch of books out there about this game of chicken and how it is played. Even Mel Fisher who was as you know a very talkative diver, explored the fringes of the subject what I call "the find, after effect". He and I talked around the subject a little without realizing it, but those few early phone conversations didn't have the experience of the mother lode as yet.

El_Capitan

Jul 26, 2007
Funny, as I was just thinking about this wreck...I have to get Richard's info this week so I can research it. I've been itching to get into wreck diving and searching, and up here in Minnesota, I was hoping to start soon. I've got to get my finances in order though first to divulge into this mission... Keep the info coming. If you need a hand, let me know. I'd be more than happy to help.

OP
OP
Solid info

Solid info

Tenderfoot
Aug 12, 2007
Wisconsin
Re: Poverty Island Treasure Brief

The Poverty Island Treasure Brief: A factual manuscript type book was the discussion back in 2007 that spurred some heated pro and con e-mails. Even today three years later the e-mailed questions keep getting more bazaar. The Treasure Brief is not 40 pages long, but 80 pages of comprehensive information. There are in fact the same few lines of historical text involved, but how else do you start telling the story of a legend unless you retell the original outline first. The book was designed to be added to or changed by the book owner. Anyone buying the Poverty Island Treasure Brief will receive updates for a year from the date of the book purchase. That is why the manuscript has grown from 40 pages to 80 pages since 2007. All the purchaser need do is send along their e-mail address. Print those updates and add them to their folder. That’s why it is in manuscript form. Since 2007 there has been a few break throughs in the person most was involved in the gathering of the gold to be shipped. It is also believed that the original ship that carried the gold has been identified.
This new information is in the new 2010 Poverty Island Treasure Brief. :icon_thumright:

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Very interesting story. So you spent 35 years looking for this treasure, are you any closer to finding it?

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I have read alot about this. if you think about it gold and silver were not illegal in the 1860's so why throw them overboard ? I think it was cases of rifles, now they would be contraband. still it would be great to find them since they are civil war era. imagine a case of whitworth rifles, ahhhh.

OP
OP
Solid info

Solid info

Tenderfoot
Aug 12, 2007
Wisconsin
Hey Salv06

Hell no. Not in finding it, but ....So far I know the, who , what , where (it came from) why, when, I just don't know where the hide is.

OP
OP
Solid info

Solid info

Tenderfoot
Aug 12, 2007
Wisconsin
Hey wwwTimmcp,

Rifles and clothing went elsewhere. You are right, gold was not illegal in the 1860's except, in huge amounts and where politics were involved. They would have been taken by ship anyway,this was the norm.
Nothing has changed in 146 years. There is clear evidence that a vast amount of gold did go missing. This wasn't the only shipment that disappeared into the Northern States.
Remember the Republic? Remember the HMS Edinburgh that was also a sailors pipe dream, an story an old bar keep told the story over and over until in 1989 a single piece of paper, hidden in a drawer with an IOU attached was found in Russia. The debtor Winston Churchill, the lender
Joesph Stalin. Politics!!! Convenient story hard to prove, therefore could never be disputed. It sat in 800 feet of water in the North Sea behind 4 inches of armor plate and a rack of cannon shells. Just in case anyone took the tavern guy up on his story. Great Britian and Russia both put up twenty million for the
successful recover of near 431 Gold bars of 465 lost. The real question is; if they had hours to take the crew off why wasn't the gold taken off? The German sub hit it several times and it didn't sink. It took two more torpedoes from their own HMS ship to sink him with the gold still on board. It wasn't illegal in 1943 either, just a little embarrassing for Stalin if Hilter found out. Even if it wasn't true its a great story, man.
Jessop Marine was the salvage Company.
Solid info

OP
OP
Solid info

Solid info

Tenderfoot
Aug 12, 2007
Wisconsin
An update on the Poverty Island Treasure legend. I new book will be available in a few weeks replacing the Poverty Island Treasure Brief, look for The Poverty Island Sunken Treasure Brief 2012 at www.bennettvideo.com The newest version of the lost treasure story has evolved into a full book format that follows the treasure legend and Richard Bennett's involvement with it since 1967.
The book answers many questions that on-line blogers have asked over the years. Like all treasure stories the 'where is it' still remains a mystery, however the why and who is be much clearer and less speculative than before. Follow the trail of the money and reasoning from as far back as 1830. Thirty four years before the actual event took place. This forum has directed many questions to our web site and now I think you will have the most complete story to date.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread