Almost like a "new Boat"

southern maine diver

Feb 24, 2007
South Berwick, Maine
Almost like a "new Boat"

Hello everyone...

I've been working on a "make over" of my dive boat and it is coming right along. It looks great!!! ;)
Been trying to customize it for my work ... I changed it from being an open concept with a "Telephone booth" style wheel house to a full cabin, windshield and overhead.

I was lucky to find a complete cabin, trunk, windshield, overhead and bulkhead for a 24' Privateer, on E-Bay. I bought it for a little over $600.00 (they usually go for over $9,000.00 brand new from Privateer!!) My wife flew down to Florida to get it and then rented a U-Haul and drove it back up to Maine.

I have added a new outboard engine bracket to help offset the additional weight forward. The cabin was originally built for a 24' Privateer, so I had to do some trimming, cutting and custom fitting, but it looks terrific... like it was made for my boat which is a 22'Privateer.

Anyway, I'm close to getting back in the water. I have some more wiring to do, electronics to install, new engine going on it and I'll be back in business! ;D Can't wait!!!

See ya,

Wayne

Attachments

• diver down before.JPG
    diver down before.JPG
    25.3 KB · Views: 617
  • diver down new lttrs1.JPG
    diver down new lttrs1.JPG
    24.5 KB · Views: 617
  • diver down new lttrs2.JPG
    diver down new lttrs2.JPG
    18.9 KB · Views: 617
  • diver down new bracket.JPG
    diver down new bracket.JPG
    19.9 KB · Views: 612

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Re: Almost like a "new Boat"

Wayne, the boat looks really great-nice job man! Besides the sweet deal on the cabin, you somehow managed to talk your wife into fetching it for you!

It is always nice to see pictures of a boat project as it progresses. (http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,90856.0.html)

;D

Tom

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Wow! Way to go, Wayne. Thanks so much for sharing. Diver Down looks great!

OP
OP
southern maine diver

southern maine diver

Feb 24, 2007
South Berwick, Maine

Hey Tom & Daren...

Thanks for looking at my "boat make-over" and for your input. I am torn between a Mercury Optimax out board and an Evinrude "E-Tech" outboard. My boat is the most visible, most recognized boat in southern Maine/Seacoast New Hampshire, so I am trying to get a sponsor for the motor. ::)

I am installing the new Hum minbird 997C on board and then I will be installing a lightweight, low-pressure breathing air compressor, mounted in the cabin. I am really "Psyched" over this new boat configuration. I have so much deck space... :D I love it. I bought a new 5,000lb trailer last year, the Privateer cabin, windshield, overhead, the year before and now, I have been able to save enough money for an engine bracket and (&C Hum minbird electronics.... ;D)

I am so very lucky and so very happy to be able to do this... My boat is my office on the water... I need to be able to get to the boat... turn the key and go to the job...!

Robert, if you are reading this (R. Gecy) I have contracted a welder/fabricator to weld up a "Blower" for my 225 HP outboard, so I may be contacting you for more details about the fabrication details and plans. I sure appreciate your input, generosity and support.

Wayne

ScubaDude

Bronze Member
Oct 10, 2006
Coastal, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garret Seahunter MK II, Geometrics 882, Marine Sonic SS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wayne,
The boat is looking great man, I wish we could get you down to a warmer climate and dive with us some time. I don't know though, after watching the show last night about the Whydah I'd enjoy soke diving like that.

As far as the Merc Vs. Etec, Etec hands down. Bombardier has really done miracles for Evinrude. No, I don't sell them but I know people who run pretty much every make. The Suzukis are getting high marks too.

If you want a cheap Suzuki dealer try http://www.edsmarinesuperstore.com/, you can send the wife on another road trip.

OP
OP
southern maine diver

southern maine diver

Feb 24, 2007
South Berwick, Maine

Hey Brad...

No no no no no no... this time, if anybody takes a road trip down south, it's going to be me 8) 8)
I'd like to meet all you guys and get a chance to dive with y'all..

diverj

May 1, 2005
Huntley, IL

Wayne,
That's quite an upgrade. I like the engine mount / dive platform. Thank's for the pic's.
Good luck.
Jeff

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II

Wayne,

Give me a call. I will draw you a custom set of drawings for the blower if you want. I can email the drawing file to you and you get it printed in full scale 1:1 so your fabricator can use it as a template for cutting the sheets. What size props do you have?

Robert

OP
OP
southern maine diver

southern maine diver

Feb 24, 2007
South Berwick, Maine

Hi Robert...

The standard prop I think, is 15 and 3/4 diameter X 17 or 19 pitch. I'll double check. I'm looking into a "prop guard" to go around the prop and help keep air hoses and lines from getting tangled. Once I get the "prop guard" I'll have more of an idea on what the inside diameter of the blower should be.

Thanks for your help with the plans. I will take you up on it. Do you still have a blower for your small boat with the outboard? What is the realistic depth I can expect to be able to blow in? I have a lot of places up here that are filled with deep mud and silt. I suspect some very nice "bottles" are hidden in these areas.

Thanks again for your help. I appreciate it. :)

Wayne

cliffscot

Oct 19, 2007
Bimini, Bahamas & Atlanta, GA
Detector(s) used
Fisher 8-x, Garrett Sea Hunter

Robert,

Hey send me those plans!! I need to make one for a 150 Merc and I am curious also how deep you can blow! Do you have any thing for an I/O on like a ski boat? I would like to rig something up for it as well!

Wayne,

Boat looks great!! I have a little Mako20 I am doing some mods on to send her to the Bahamas for dive season, I am curious about the blower set up as well!

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Vibraprobe 570, My Melon

Very nice rehab, Great looking vessel -

I have got to get some more water time myself soon.

Good job

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions