Deep Blue Pro Color Underwater Video System Questions

idothisforfun

Mar 14, 2007
Ohio
I hang out on the Coin Roll Hunting area, But this summer I want to go play in the river, I am looking for a camera system. Similar to this or any recommendations. I don't need anything fancy, I am going to be on the Ohio river. So it is pretty dirty. Any help would be appreciated.

Also anything else that would work. And is there a newbie thread on the basics of underwater salvage.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I have a Sea-View camera, which is probably like what you are looking at- a trollable camera with a very low lux and infra red leds. It has 200' cable and a tv on topside. The problem you will have is the cameras picture will only be as good as the water is clear. If you have muddy water, you wont be able to see very far....if any. But if you put it in a spring pool, of course you can see 50 feet. The IR leds will also on go so far in muddy water and they cant make the water any clearer. If the water is clear they can light up about 10 feet at the most in very clear water. In murky water it doesnt matter if you cant see 1 foot. You cant really steer the camera to see what you want either, it is at the mercy of the current.

scubadave

Tenderfoot
Jan 14, 2007
Cincinnati-Ky/TN-Keys
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA1250, Garrett XL500
I've done a lot of diving and boating in the Ohio River over the years. A video camera will not work until after Labor Day. You get about 3' visibility then, if you are out there during the middle of the week. The rest of the time you can't see your hand on your mask. Spend your time researching places to search and wait until fall.

Dave

cliffscot

Oct 19, 2007
Bimini, Bahamas & Atlanta, GA
Detector(s) used
Fisher 8-x, Garrett Sea Hunter
Harbor freight one has short leads! I use a cheap one from an ice fisher supplier, no led lights, 100ft, b&w TV, battery it was about $150 and all the stuff is in a case. Its the only cheap one with long cables. I have found that on a bright day in muddy water the cameras with lights pick up too much immediate sediment in the close vicinity of the camera! The no light ones actually see farther!!! If you want light I lower a "crappy" light about 10-20 ft away, the high powered ones and you can make out a lot of things.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread