NOAA AWOIS chart interpretation

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I do not believe all of the wrecks listed in AWOIS are on the charts....too many of them. The charts just reflect possible obstructions to navigation. I do not know of any charts that reflect all of the wrecks and obstructions from the AWOIS list.

OP
OP
B

bell47

Apr 1, 2006
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett Seahunter
I thought that the wrecks on the charts were nav. obstuctions too, but there are some way to deep to bother floating vessels. ???

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
This site has merged much of the AWOIS info with Google Earth. Just found it last week...

http://destinsharks.com/google-earth-marine-maps/

Scroll down to the 4th image (a bit larger than the others) and click on the Google Earth link just above it. Enjoy!

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Bell47 wrote: I thought that the wrecks on the charts were nav. obstuctions too, but there are some way to deep to bother floating vessels.

Many of them are no longer obstructions....but at some point they were. Until NOAA or whoever can have each of them physically verified as no longer being a hazard to navigation-they tend to leave them on the charts. Govt moves so slow!

Darren, thanks for the link bro!

Huntr1

Oct 26, 2005
Mechanicsville, MD
mad4wrecks said:
Bell47 wrote: I thought that the wrecks on the charts were nav. obstuctions too, but there are some way to deep to bother floating vessels.

Many of them are no longer obstructions....but at some point they were. Until NOAA or whoever can have each of them physically verified as no longer being a hazard to navigation-they tend to leave them on the charts. Govt moves so slow!

Darren, thanks for the link bro!
When I came to work for the Govt., my agency was part of NOAA. I am still in the NOAA Complex in Silver Spring (where they are headquartered). I had to forget stuff when I came to work here, that's how behind the times in terms of technology we are around here.

Molasses will roll uphill in Minnesota in February faster than Govt. moves.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions