Propeller Salvage

wreckvalle

Nov 20, 2006
We salvaged this prop from a WWII subchaser a few years back. The wreck was in only 35' of water but strong current. It took me, Steve Bielenda, Hank Garvin, Steve Lombardo and a few others over 35 dives cut off the prop. We raised it with a 4000 pound subsalve lift bag and towed the artifact home. This one of the two props raised we salvaged from the wreck. We cut one off with brocko tourches and the other with a hydralic grinder and then hand powered hack saws. Wreck was the Bronx Queen http://www.aquaexplorers.com/bronx.htm

It may not be treasure but still looks good in the side yard!

Capt. Dan
www.shipwreckexpo.com

Attachments

• BRXQUN13smallforweb.jpg
    BRXQUN13smallforweb.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 1,368

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
Awesome job !!! I've located a 9ft bronze prop in only 15 feet of water (allegedly sheared off the vessel in the 30's during a storm) but I don't have nearly the resources to go after it :-)

Pcola

OP
OP
W

wreckvalle

Nov 20, 2006
pcolaboy said:
Awesome job !!! I've located a 9ft bronze prop in only 15 feet of water (allegedly sheared off the vessel in the 30's during a storm) but I don't have nearly the resources to go after it :-)

Pcola

Pcola,

If the prop is already sheared off all you have to do is lift the artifact and tow it home. I would make a deal with a boat owner or boat yard (someone that has a lift to haul the prop out of the water) then rig some chaing and go for it. With the current price of brass/bronze that prop sounds like a nice little pay day. You may have to rent some salvage bags but should still end up being very profitable.

Attached photo is of another small prob we salvaged a few years back. This one we cut off with broco then hauled onto the boat.

Good luck
Capt. Dan
www.aquaexplorers.com
www.shipwreckexpo.com

Attachments

• valeri4smallforweb.jpg
    valeri4smallforweb.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 1,268

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread