Florida Underwater Detecting

digau

Dec 23, 2007
Wenatchee, WA
Detector(s) used
Pulsediver 950, Spectrum XLT, Goldmaster II, Tesoro uMax Silver Sabre
Hi, I'm heading to Florida in 2 weeks and would love to combine 2 of my favorite hobbies, SCUBA diving and metal detecting. Although I've found plenty of info on the web pertaining to beach hunting regs (basically OK from toe of dunes to water line in most places), I'm having a HECK of a time finding any info on water hunting. I'm not wanting to sneak into the Atocha site or anything crazy like that, but I would like to SCUBA with detector in 6 to 20 ft. of water at popular swimming beaches. (Just past the reach of guys wading with detectors) Does anyone know the regs on this?

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
digau,

Welcome to the forum.You can go in the water with your Md.Just dont do it on any of the treasure site leases from the cape and south.As far as the keys go,its illegal there.Somewhere here on tnet theres a posting on all the site leases by gps cords.

OP
OP
digau

digau

Dec 23, 2007
Wenatchee, WA
Detector(s) used
Pulsediver 950, Spectrum XLT, Goldmaster II, Tesoro uMax Silver Sabre
Thanks Fisheye, that's great news!! Where is the "Cape" you referred to? I'm going to Titusville to see an old Army buddy I haven't seen in eons, then heading south to Key Largo area to do some diving with an outfit named "Amy Slate's dive resort". I was thinking I could take several days to drive down there and do some underwater detecting along the way. It's my first trip to Florida. Thanks again!

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The "Cape" is Cape Canaveral in Titusville. Pretty much everything south of there is off limits in the water.

Salvor007

Dec 17, 2007
Without a permit, yes.

I am still trying to find an online resource for rules governing salvage in the FKNMS.

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GOHO said:
I will take you out and let you dive with a metal detector in a blow hole on the 1715 fleet. check out www.goldhoundtreasuredivers.com

Just call...

Capt Greg

I enjoyed your web site Captain Greg! I used to metal detect some of the treasure beaches in Florida when I lived there briefly in the early 1990's, I especially liked going to Fort Pierce. I never found any wreck treasure but had fun looking, and occasionally I would see the treasure salvors just off the beach and I would say to myself "someday I will do that!" I am now in my third year of being dive certified and live in Ohio, and "someday I will do that!"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread