Dive masks recommendations.

jsu

Nov 29, 2007
NE Georgia
Detector(s) used
EAGLE II, TIGERSHARK, COMPADRE , MXT
I posted this in beach hunting also,but thought I might get some replies here too. I am planning to upgrade my dive mask soon.Does anyone have any recommendations on what brands to look at,pro`s and con`s of frameless masks,with or without purge,and any thing else you can think of.I will be hunting fresh water.Probably 15ft at the deepest.THANK YOU .jeff

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• mask.jpg
    mask.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 1,169
  • tech_black.jpg
    tech_black.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 1,207

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
pcolaboy said:
FISHEYE said:
This is the next mask im going to get.

http://www.hydrooptix.com/ps_45dd_overview.html

Pretty cool mask. Not sure if I would contemplate having to get contacts to make me nearsighted as they say is required on the site. Definitely perfect if you're already nearsighted though.

Pcola

Me neither! Not to crazy about having to get nearsighted contacts just to wear a dive mask.

One more thing I have to do just to get in the water. And that would be a pretty big one to take them in and out, and have to keep up with the damn things. Definitely not for me. I like seeing things larger underwater. It helps me find those tiny coins lodged down in the crevices. ;D ;D ;D

Oh and dont forget about naked scuba diving. Bigger is always better! :wink: :wink: :wink:

Robert

diverlynn

Oct 25, 2006
New Smyrna Beach
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
We had one of those masks at our local dive shop, you have no idea how bulky and restrictive this mask is. Your photo does not show the thick lens that is required. Not to mention what an idiot you will look like. We could not give that mask away. If anyone is interested in buying one, I bet I could get you a great deal on it.

Diverlynn

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
JSU - Comfort is way more important than anything else. Find a mask that fits your face well, and you'll be happy. Just put it up to your face and see if it will easily seal and hold, if not, move on. Get one that looks good on you too for the inevitable pictures. I personally don't care for purge valves that are in the nose piece, they make it harder to clear your ears. If the mask fits right, you'll rarely have to purge it anyways.

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And for seeing underwater at night...

Attachments

• MV-14_Divers_Mask.jpg
    MV-14_Divers_Mask.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 586

FireRescue

Jul 28, 2007
Middle Georgia
Mask are kinda funny because expensive doesn't always mean the best.
A friend of mine is an ex Navy Seal and a master diver he only uses a caicos that cost $40
It's all a matter of what fit's your face. 15 feet in fresh water, You shouldn't need some 200 dollar deal.
Comfort and function over brand name. That's my philosophy. :icon_pirat:

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
+1 firerescue, go try masks on, the one that sticks like glue is the one for you. I personally use a dacor, low volume silicone triview that I've had for years.

scubamike

Sep 1, 2008
Spring/The Woodlands, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter/Garrett GTI 2500
As a former divestore owner I always recommend that fit is the most important thing. Take the mask pull you hair back and with the strap hanging put it up to your face. Suck in with your nose and see if it stays. Pull it off and if it "pops" it fits. Then decide about personal likes and dislikes. I prefer a clear silicone mask because it lets more light in. You might also like a mask with side windows but thats personal preference. Since you are only going to shaoow depths I assume you are not using scuba. Purge valves on masks are not real common anymore and they tend to block vision. If you are going to depths that require equalizing your ears make sure that you can reach and pinch your nose comfortably. Remenber fit and comfort are the two most important things. Nothing is more miserable in the water than a leaking mask. If you have facial hair consider trimming it back, not cutting it off just trimming it :)

Scubamike

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Vibraprobe 570, My Melon
My 20 dollar dolphino from Academy fits 10 times better than my 100 dollar oceanic.

The clear silicone to me like Mike said lets in quite a bit more light. I stole the neoprene strap from my oceanic and put it on my el cheapo mask.

That said I would probably not go any deeper than 20-30' with the Dolphino but it fits my face better than any mask I have ever put on and I do not do much deep water diving.

+ 1 on the comfort call :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread