Meg diving off the N.C. coast

wilkere

Sep 11, 2007
Jacksonville N.C.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Silver Sabre
Wow! It really was a great weekend! It’s not often enough that your average neighborhood relic hunter scores a trifecta of fun and success as I had recently. But I’m getting ahead of myself a bit. Lets see, my dive buddy aka Glenn “Meg-Head” Branch had set up a 3 Dive run out of Carolina Beach to search for big money fossilized sharks teeth among other fossils that lie in 115ft of water 40 miles off the coast of North Carolina.

Piedmont treasure hunter N.C. Bob signed on for the trip from Asheville, and also changed the dive plan to a two day trip with 2 more additional Meg-dives for Saturday and a wreck dive on the way in. In all, 5 chances to score the big money 7 inch Megalodon tooth we all know is lying off the coast.

Simply put, the ocean conditions on Friday were excellent, with flat seas and a slightly overcast sky. As the 40 something foot dive boat “Hawks Bill” captained by the world famous Captain Guy churned thru the flat seas, schools of flying fish would stream across the flat aqua green water. Sprits were high as anticipation of finding many large teeth were the sign of the times as many of the divers were local guys who have scored some nice teeth before.

Soon we were at the site, and plans were made for conducting the dives. Me, I got a mixup on my tanks and now I had 120 cu in of regular air vice NITROX . So I was going to have to be a little careful on the dive plans. Big Stride in, and Splash… Down the line I went however, soon it was apparent that as always it is just too hard to stay with the plan of action due to the ease of losing site of your buddy in the gloom, the cloud of sand kicked up while fanning and so on. If you are really down to find some teeth, normal diving procedures are thrown out the window anyway. You are really on your own at 115 feet.

As wonderful as the surface conditions were, thermoclines were present at varying depths. The cold water brought in weird loads of plankton type sea plants of some sort and hurt visibility. However, after 3 dives we all had a few keepers. I think I had 4 or 5 good teeth one being a 5 incher , Glenn and N.C. Bob had about the same. But, truthfully we were looking for a whole lot more! I figured I needed to find about 14, 3 – 4 inch teeth over 2 days to break even covering the cost of both days of scuba.

Glenn was in a foul mood, as we travelled back to Jacksonville. “They’re not bringing us to a good spot. That place was all picked over”. He opined. “Hey man, you never know when your going to get lucky. Look, Captain Guy had a great haul on his dive. Next time it could be you or me.” I said as I tried to motivate Meg-Head, and convince myself that tomorrow would work out for us.

Early Saturday morning Glenn and I headed out from J’ville and after a pitstop at MickyD’s we were headed down Hwy 17 toward Wilmington. The weather conditions were just fantastic and the crowd that gathered at the dock foretold of keen competition for fossils during this trip. Soon we were joined by N.C. Bob and had all of our gear stacked and packed.
It was just simply a perfect dive day and things went pretty good on the first dive, I got about 5 teeth, Meg-Head 3 or 4 and N.C. Bob got shut out for the 3rd time in 4 dives. But on our final dive on the Meg ledge things got interesting. I dropped down the line, and took a fix on the anchor line and proceeded to drop down to the bottom. On my 3rd fan in the sand, there…. she…. was! A big ole tooth! I knew it was the biggest one I have found and as I twirled it around and saw it was in great shape I thought I won the lottery! I stowed it away in a zippered pouch on my BC vest and started to fan. I tell you what, it was the fabled “Honey Hole” that Captain Guy has named for teeth below the surface of the sand/rubble matrix. I was finding keeper after keeper and after each find I would shove the tooth straight into the top of my wetsuit, damn the scratches! Anything to save time and keep this lucky streak alive.

The haul for me on this one 15 minute bottom time dive was 13 teeth.

It was satisfying to finally have a lucky streak, but the real treasure to be found was; being able to have a couple great days in the sun goofing off with old and new buddies, shooting the breeze and talking teeth and treasure with other divers with the sea spray wafting in the air, that’s making memories! And brother that’s what’s life’s all about!

bob
http://www.okinawarelics.com

Attachments

• 6.5 inch.JPG
    6.5 inch.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 376
  • good looking haul.JPG
    good looking haul.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 379
  • scubatoothers.JPG
    scubatoothers.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 368
  • guys tattoo.JPG
    guys tattoo.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 411
  • 6.5 inch.JPG
    6.5 inch.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 376
  • good looking haul.JPG
    good looking haul.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 355
  • scubatoothers.JPG
    scubatoothers.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 357
  • guys tattoo.JPG
    guys tattoo.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 350

MikeDahms

Jun 25, 2008
Jacksonville, NC
Love to read your exploits under the sea. Is it improper to ask the value of some of those teeth? At those depths what is your bottom time? Do you consider using a dredge to clear the area of sand? I know 115' is a lot of hose to haul. Best to you, Mike.

OP
OP
wilkere

wilkere

Sep 11, 2007
Jacksonville N.C.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Hi Mike,
The price on the teeth are not standardized, Ebay is a good place to look I guess. It's whatever someones' willing to pay. But, the bigger and quality of enamal make the differance. I'll bring a few over when we get together soon!

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Sounds like you guys had a good time. I've only had experience with teeth from rivers. Does salt water affect the enamel and quality of the tooth versus freshwater? Congrats on your jackpot!

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Vibraprobe 570, My Melon
My wife and I read the Steve Alten series and she just got a glimpse of your finds. Needless to say she was impressed!

Very nice finds - Would you be interested in parting with any of them? If you have prices for your finds just PM me. I may be interested in a new wall hanger.

Jason

OP
OP
wilkere

wilkere

Sep 11, 2007
Jacksonville N.C.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Darren in NC said:
Sounds like you guys had a good time. I've only had experience with teeth from rivers. Does salt water affect the enamel and quality of the tooth versus freshwater? Congrats on your jackpot!

Hey Darren,
I don't think there's much differance in the enamel wear in regards to the water quality. I think it has more to do with the tumbling over the past 20 million years or so. I've dug some nice stuff out of GMR in Greenville, and that's fresh water. You got any info on diving the Meherien up by the VA border? I'm heading to Busch gardens next month and may jump in if I get a chance.

Bob
http://www.okinawarelics.com

OP
OP
wilkere

wilkere

Sep 11, 2007
Jacksonville N.C.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Vibraprobe 570, My Melon
Thanks a lot.

I am having some sort of sign in trouble with my ebay account. I will wait until the wife gets home, She has all or info.

Thanks again!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread