Want to try Dowsing?

bedrock bubba

Jun 27, 2010

Yes, those are much like the doodlebug I use. But the coils should be spaced wider apart is all, and all you need is thin copper wire, and no handle needed. Six turns around a pencil is best.

Art, how could you fail with a doodlebug? They are ultra sensitive to any metal, and twitch and turn real easy. Was yours like the ones pictured?

OP
OP
aarthrj3811

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
Like I have always told everyone. It is all about what works for you….I prefer 3/16 brass rods…Art

Red Fox 4

Mar 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi Art. A pleasure to bump this thread. It truly is excellent material and I thank you for having showed it to me. My passion is probably map dowsing and I've been doing it close to a month now (It's addictive no doubt). The rod's have been somewhat difficult for me as signal lines are a difficult concept for me to grasp. My question is this: let's say that I locate a cache of something on the map one evening and then go over that very same map a day later and get different result's (usually very close in proximity to the mark from the previous day). Also, I had noticed that for example where myself and Okie would get a signal for a cache Red Desert would not see any cache in that location but would instead see a different signal some distance away (but in that same general area). What could be the possible explanation behind something like that? I would like to be able to trust in my own result's without having to have them proof checked by those with more experience but when I get a different reading on the same map the very next day it does raise my eyebrows. Thank you in advance!

OP
OP
aarthrj3811

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
All of us use different methods. That would make our response and the way we mark the maps different. If you are trying to find that spot in the field with a set of rods. It should not make any difference. Some of stuff I have found using my maps has been 300 feet off. Give your self time to get the maps right as you will learn more each time.When I first started I would get maps of towns that I had never been to. I would look for parks and schools and then I would get a street name and try to get an address.
...Art

Last edited:

Red Fox 4

Mar 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Interesting. I always get misreading with the rod's in the field. And, that is not necessarily to say that the rod's are incorrect only that I do not posses the experience to fully understand what they are telling me yet. Thank you Art.

OP
OP
aarthrj3811

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Find yourself a spot outside like a patio or deck. Check it to make sure that you have no signals there. Take a compass and mark down where the cardinal directions are. Take tape and make a big X in the cardinal directions. Now put a target in the center. Now practice and practice until you know what the rods are telling you..Art

Last edited:

Red Fox 4

Mar 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Find yourself a spot outside like a patio or deck. Check it to make sure that you have no signals there. Take a compass and mark down where the cardinal directions are. Take tape and make a big X in the cardinal directions. Now put a target in the center. Now practice and practice until you know what the rods are telling you..Art

Thank you Art Sir. As far as programming for map dowsing I am a bit confused on what to say after the may I can I should I. I read the quote on it (more than once) and it's very long and all in one piece. I know the first three are questions for the pendulum but after that I am totally confused.

OP
OP
aarthrj3811

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
May I, Can I, Should I Dowse this map or photo. Thank You for letting me Dowse this photo ...them start asking questions. I read the whole thing about once a week....Art

Antje

Apr 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
This is a super thread for someone slightly familiar with dowsing ( have my father's rods- he found wells and waterlines for people ), really interested in picking up his interest- what a great forum!

May I ask how you define what it is you're looking for please? Love to be able to do what Dad did but also would love to look for pretty much anything! :)

This thread should be a sticky! :)

OP
OP
aarthrj3811

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
May I ask how you define what it is you're looking for please? Love to be able to do what Dad did but also would love to look for pretty much anything!
There are many ways that people use to locate objects. I just prefer to keep my mind occupied with good and happy thoughts. I bait my rods for what I am looking for and let the rods do the work...Art

OP
OP
aarthrj3811

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
For me map was a very long process. I started with printed map on the floor. I would use my rods That turned into using a pendulum with paper maps. Now I do them on my computer screen using a Digital Image 9 program. At first I was not very good. As a Dowser if the map can get me in the area the object is mine….Art

OP
OP
aarthrj3811

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Many people think that when the rods cross the target is there. I have never found any target that was where I got the first signal. I have always had to follow the signal line. I always walk in one of the cardinal directions. I will only follow signals that run in the cardinal direction. When following the signal line and the rods cross I always drop one rod to my side. The up rod will swing and point to the direction of the target. I may have another target in the area.
There is another thing that you may pick up. They are rings. When I am following a signal and notice that I am no longer walking in the cardinal direction I know I am following a ring. What I do is when I first encounter a signal I mark it. I then continue and see if I find more targets. Target size will determine how far apart the rings are. Micro gold rings will only be a foot apart in most cases. If I find three more targets that are equal in distance apart I know some of them are rings. Now if the first marker is a different distance or if any of the others are oddballs I will follow those. Many people think that when the rods cross the target is there. I have never found any target that was where I got the first signal. I have always had to follow the signal line. I always walk in one of the cardinal directions. I will only follow signals that run in the cardinal direction. When following the signal line and the rods cross I always drop one rod to my side. The up rod will swing and point to the direction of the target. I may have another target in the area.
There is another thing that you may pick up. They are rings. When I am following a signal and notice that I am no longer walking in the cardinal direction I know I am following a ring. What I do is when I first encounter a signal I mark it. I then continue and see if I find more targets. Target size will determine how far apart the rings are. Micro gold rings will only be a foot apart in most cases. If I find three more targets that are equal in distance apart I know some of them are rings. Now if the first marker is a different distance or if any of the others are oddballs I will follow those. The first signal you get when you leave the target is the halo that comes from the target at a 45 degree angle. I use this to determine the depth.
....Art

Last edited:

lesjcbs

Jul 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Pocket dowsing L- Rods shown above. Whites Beach Comber, Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter II, Whites TM 808, Canon 350D EOS Digital Rebel XT DSLR Camera.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
...When following the signal line and the rods cross I always drop one rod to my side. The up rod will swing and point to the direction of the target.....
Aart: Which rod do you drop?

OP
OP
aarthrj3811

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
I usually drop the right one. After it has moved or not moved I raise it buck up and drop the other one . Now I am positive I know which direction the treasure is.

lesjcbs

Jul 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Pocket dowsing L- Rods shown above. Whites Beach Comber, Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter II, Whites TM 808, Canon 350D EOS Digital Rebel XT DSLR Camera.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I usually drop the right one. After it has moved or not moved I raise it buck up and drop the other one . Now I am positive I know which direction the treasure is.
Aart: The reason I ask is when I dowse, my right rod is the first to turn to the left. As it turns, I follow it until the left rod crosses over the right rod. In short, my right rod has always pointed in the direction of the target and my left one indicates the distance. As long as the left one is not crossed over the right one, I am not over the target yet. When the left rod crosses over the right one and forms an X, the target is under the X or very close by. I measured this one time and found the targets have been on average, within 12" of X spot or ground zero. I have never had a swing to the right by my right rod. It always swings to my left.

How does the cardinal directions factor into all this?

Last edited:
OP
OP
aarthrj3811

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
How does the cardinal directions factor into all this?
That’s my way of dowsing. I always walk in a cardinal direction and only follow signal lines that are in those directions. I believe that those are the strongest signals. If your method works for you just keep trying to make them better...Art

Last edited:
OP
OP
aarthrj3811

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Hey Les. If you feel like you need to improve some part of your dowsing just go for it. You never know just what you can do if you don’t try as that’s why we this thing inside our head

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread