Putting the brakes on the skeptics

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
~trish~ said:
i hear ya J.

Maybe someone will come along and answer that question.

I did see one Dowser as an applicant, but it was with 'cards', i thought that was strange.

To me that wouldnt be considered a 'true Dowser' picking the right card?

Dowsers dont pick cards. But know one else applied except her. That i saw anyway.

That's because the challenge is not for dowsing in particular.

At JREF, we offer a one-million-dollar prize to anyone who can show, under proper observing conditions, evidence of any paranormal, supernatural, or occult power or event.

Here is the link: http://www.randi.org/site/index.php/1m-challenge.html

GG~

Also It has never been proven that dowsing does not work either for that mater.

T

trish76642

i like the local newspaper and college professor idea Libra.

I figured there was a reason no one has come forth to win the million yet GG. Media Presence? Libras right, if he didnt put a stipulation on there every cheat, crook, you name it would show up trying to get that money. Ya know how people are. I just dont thing having a Media Presence was a very good stipulation.

You answered my guestion GG. Thanks for posting that.

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
GG, you cannot prove a negative. IF dowsing had verifiable, repeatable results, it would be a science. It does not.

You cannot claim something is real or exists without some sort of evidence or reproducibility. If the OP was so confident in his abilities, he would have responded with terms.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Libralabsoldier said:
GG, you cannot prove a negative. IF dowsing had verifiable, repeatable results, it would be a science. It does not.

You cannot claim something is real or exists without some sort of evidence or reproducibility. If the OP was so confident in his abilities, he would have responded with terms.

Dowsing has been around for thousands of years.
If it didn't work It should be gone by now.

GG~

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Then why is it impossible to do it under controlled conditions? In front of witnesses, on camera....and be documented?

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Libralabsoldier said:
Then why is it impossible to do it under controlled conditions? In front of witnesses, on camera....and be documented?

I do not have the answer to that question. Maybe someone with more knowledge than I, has the answer. For all I know It may already have been documented.

Below is from: http://accessnewage.com/articles/mystic/DOWSING1.HTM

The various branches of the U.S. military has trained select servicemen in the art of dowsing. The credit for introducing dowsing to the military goes to Louis Matacia, a dowser and professional land surveyor who demonstrated to the top brass what could be done by utilizing dowsers on the field of battle. During the Vietnamese war, the U.S. marines were able to find the Viet Cong's underground tunnels with the help of dowsing marines. The men in the field came to rely on the dowsers more so than on the sophisticated instrumentation because of their high rate of accuracy. Even today, the various branches of the U.S. military continue to train some men in the art of dowsing. Little did the Viet Cong know that the "secret weapon" they felt the U.S. military had to locate and destroy their system of underground tunnels were men in the field with dowsing rods !

GG~

Personally I do not think the skeptics will ever be satisfied no matter how much documentation or controlled tests there are. Heck there are skeptics that still think NASA never had a crew land on the moon. And the list goes on and on.

T

trish76642

For all I know It may already have been documented.

Thats what i was thinking GG.

I'm not a skeptic because i know anything in this world is possible.

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
There is a HUGE difference between your wacky conspiracy theory skeptics and those of us who make are living and lifes work the study of science.

If someone tells me that they can find something using two bent copper wires, I will want to verify that claim. IF I published the results of that verification, someone else SHOULD be able to replicate my experiment and get the same results, or the experiment is invalid. If the results cannot be falsified, then it is also invalid. I am talking about hard, concrete fact.

I think the OP is beginning to realize he bit off more than he could chew by throwing his arrogant challenge out there, that he obviously has NO intention of honoring.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Libralabsoldier said:
There is a HUGE difference between your wacky conspiracy theory skeptics and those of us who make are living and lifes work the study of science.

If someone tells me that they can find something using two bent copper wires, I will want to verify that claim. IF I published the results of that verification, someone else SHOULD be able to replicate my experiment and get the same results, or the experiment is invalid. If the results cannot be falsified, then it is also invalid. I am talking about hard, concrete fact.

I think the OP is beginning to realize he bit off more than he could chew by throwing his arrogant challenge out there, that he obviously has NO intention of honoring.

Well I guess that's where we are different. I don't need proof of every thing I don't understand.
As far as the Original Poster goes I have no clue why he would want to attract the attention in the first place.

Libra Lab Soldier,
I see by the use of an astrological sign in your screen name that you must have some belief in astrology.

When the astronomer Edmond Halley asked Sir Isaac Newton (essentially the “patron scientist of physics”) how he could possibly believe in astrology, Sir Isaac answered, “Because I have studied the matter, Sir. You have not.” And therein lies the crux of the matter.

Now being an amateur astronomer myself. I know that the stars in the astrological constellations are not even located in the same galactic neighborhood as each other, but only appear so, due to their luminosity.

So tell me, What scientific reason is there, that I should believe in astrology?............ You don't have to answer, because I really do not care. As long as it works for you then I am satisfied, and therein lies the crux of the matter.

GG~

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Goodyguy said:
Libralabsoldier said:

Well I guess that's where we are different I don't need proof of every thing I don't understand.
As far as the Original Poster goes I have no clue why he would want to attract the attention in the first place.

Libra Lab Soldier,
I see by the use of an astrological sign in your screen name that you must have some belief in astrology.

When the astronomer Edmond Halley asked Sir Isaac Newton (essentially the “patron science of physics”) how he could possibly believe in astrology, Sir Isaac answered, “Because I have studied the matter, Sir. You have not.” And therein lies the crux of the matter.

Now being an amateur astronomer myself. I know that the stars In the astrological constellations are not even located in the same galactic neighborhood but only appear so, due to their luminosity.

So tell me, What scientific reason is there, that I should believe in astrology?............ You don't have to answer, because I really do not care. As long as it works for you then I am satisfied and therein lies the crux of the matter.

GG~
This is an interesting one. If someone studies a subject, does that then make it a fact? Astrology, Tarot, Ouija...all of these can technically be studied, but does that automatically make them a reality?

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
I use the astrological sign for an ironic meaning that has some meaning for me, not because I believe in astrology.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Libralabsoldier said:
I use the astrological sign for an ironic meaning that has some meaning for me, not because I believe in astrology.

Hey that's cool 8) I believe you.
The only reason I went with "Goodyguy" is because of when I started a web site 15 years ago that gives away free goodies www.freegoodies4u.com and I signed up for my e-mail acct. "Goodieguy" was already taken, so I have been Goodyguy ever since.

Although I am a good guy, to me using the screen name "Goodyguy" probably comes off as sounding like I think I'm a goody goody or a goody two-shoes, However that is not the case, as I am no goody goody or a goody two-shoes!:angel12:

GG~

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Goodyguy said:
Libralabsoldier said:

Hey that's cool 8) I believe you.
The only reason I went with "Goodyguy" is because of when I started a web site 15 years ago that gives away free goodies www.freegoodies4u.com and I signed up for my e-mail acct. "Goodieguy" was already taken, so I have been Goodyguy ever since.

Although I am a good guy, to me using the screen name "Goodyguy" probably comes off as sounding like I think I'm a goody goody or a goody two-shoes, However that is not the case, as I am no goody goody or a goody two-shoes!:angel12:

GG~
I'm a Libra as well, so I know where you're coming from, libralabsoldier.

As far as GoodyGuy, I didn't read a thing into your name. Makes sense to me! :thumbsup:

T

trish76642

No one on here can change how any of the sckeptics on T-Net feel about dowsing.
Even though i do believe in it, (because nothings impossible) i cant explain it, i wouldnt even try. Im not gonna question something i dont know the first thing about.

Instead of waisting all that energy questioning, why not just do your own research on the matter if your that interested?

Find a real Dowser and let him show you.

aarthrj3811 is a good place to start. I just read one of his post on dowsing.
He's so passionate about the technique that he's gone out of his way to explain every little detail. I found it very interesting.

If you dont believe in it, so be it! Thats your prerogative. No one hates you for it.

Im just say'n.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Ive' noticed that the brakes have NOT been put on the skeptics.

I DO believe dowsers go out and find water and oil...

I am skeptical about the rest of it here except I kinda lean towards trusting Art and his map dowsing skills... interesting stuff.

But the "brakes remain off" and I'd like to see the original poster return and reply.

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
It is not about believing or disbelieving.....it is about evidence and reproducibility. Anyone can use a metal detector. There is technique involved, sure...but even if you just randomly wave the MD over metal, you will find it.

I have spoken with many card readers, psychics, and yes, even a couple of dowsers...they seem to be full of more excuses than results. There is always some reason why their particular "gifts" do not work when they are watched.

T

trish76642

Yeah, well to tell the truth, if they couldnt do it while i watched them, then i'd have to question their ability also.

Surely a true dowser isnt like that. Heck if i know.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Libralabsoldier said:
It is not about believing or disbelieving.....it is about evidence and reproducibility. Anyone can use a metal detector. There is technique involved, sure...but even if you just randomly wave the MD over metal, you will find it.

I have spoken with many card readers, psychics, and yes, even a couple of dowsers...they seem to be full of more excuses than results. There is always some reason why their particular "gifts" do not work when they are watched.

You know I have witnessed those same peculiarities, It causes me to wonder if there is perhaps some type of energy emitted by "watchers" that could negatively affect the outcome. Not unlike an electrical interference causing a metal detector to not operate properly.

After all, both methods are dependent on an energy frequency. Doesn't it makes sense that the *dowsing method would be the most sensitive to energy variation? :dontknow:

*I am talking about dowsing for other than water which is so easy almost anyone can do.

GG~

T

trish76642

Have you ever dowsed GG?

Where would one get dowsing rods?

Do you have to make them?

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
~trish~ said:
Have you ever dowsed GG?

Where would one get dowsing rods?

Do you have to make them?

Hi Trish,

I still consider myself to be a novice dowser, I have been practicing for about a year and am able to find a gold nugget that my wife hides for me to practice dowsing for.
I have been learning a lot from Art and Dell and Mike by reading their posts and have had some personal instruction through PM's

Lately I have been practicing dowsing for diamonds as I have taken on a mission to help find a lost,one and a half caret diamond that came out of an engagement ring.
I found that by tapeing a real diamond to one of the rods that it's easier for me to find the diamond hidden by my wife for practice.

You can read about my diamond quest here. http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,231148.0.html

I made my own rods and below is a pic of my dowsing equipment.

GG~

Attachments

• my gear.jpg
    my gear.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 490
  • my gear.jpg
    my gear.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 486

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread