Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Low Budget Locator "HELP"

Not sure if this is the right place for this question but here goes.
I believe with some good help, I may have found what could be an old Spanish mine. I have tried dowsing but get mixed signals and just haven't had the time to spend practicing. I have had pretty good responses to a pendalum. My girlfriend used a different pendalum and walked from a different direction, we both ended up at the same spot. It looks to be an old site. There is a pile of what appears to be tailing's and an impression between the tailing's and the hillside.
Is there any way of getting some info on a low budget of this spot before a person commits to start digging? Any input on this would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
jog

Ted Groves

Aug 26, 2009
Planet Earth
Detector(s) used
(G&T-C) = gullible and technically-challenged
Re: Low Budget Locator "HELP"

jog said:
Not sure if this is the right place for this question but here goes.
I believe with some good help, I may have found what could be an old Spanish mine. I have tried dowsing but get mixed signals and just haven't had the time to spend practicing. I have had pretty good responses to a pendalum. My girlfriend used a different pendalum and walked from a different direction, we both ended up at the same spot. It looks to be an old site. There is a pile of what appears to be tailing's and an impression between the tailing's and the hillside.
Is there any way of getting some info on a low budget of this spot before a person commits to start digging? Any input on this would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
jog

You and your girlfriend are too familiar with, and too close to the problem. You need to find someone who is completely unfamiliar with either the story, or the information you and your girlfriend are already aware of. Have this dis-interested person dowse the area (without telling them any of what you already believe); and you will find they will come up with a different location than what you have found. (If they come up with a location at all). :wink:

jimmygoat

Dec 1, 2009
Northern Cal.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D-5 inch dredge

Jog, It does indeed sound like you found something, a prospect at least. You can tell the difference between a prospect and a caved in mine by the size of the tailings pile in comparison to the hole or depression. If you have a huge tailings pile and a little depression, it's a caved mine. At least Ted can't argue with that. You can try and drive a long probe into the hill and see if you hit a void. Good luck. Jimmygoat

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner

Hey jot….I used to have some trouble with locating caves and tunnels….I now use “baits “ for locating them..Holding a auto tail light bulb or a closed gold vile in my hand with the rods will locate closed caves or tunnels. Using an un capped gold vile will tell you if there is air in the cave or tunnel. Works for me so give it a try…Art

Attachments

• P1010036.JPG
    P1010036.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 263
  • P1010036.JPG
    P1010036.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 253
OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jimmygoat said:
Jog, It does indeed sound like you found something, a prospect at least. You can tell the difference between a prospect and a caved in mine by the size of the tailing's pile in comparison to the hole or depression. If you have a huge tailing's pile and a little depression, it's a caved mine. At least Ted can't argue with that. You can try and drive a long probe into the hill and see if you hit a void. Good luck. Jimmygoat
Jimmygoat...
I don't believe I have found what most people would consider a true mine. This is in an area that is not known for it's gold, but there have been documented stories of gold in these parts. The spot I have located is a small area, I have a few pics but it is hard to really see in the photo's of the real size.
I had thought of trying the probe. Have you ever tried this? My concern is would you be able to feel the difference in resistance on the rod if it were to push through into a void if the rod was pushing through 4-6' of soil.
Art...I am going to take my rods back to the site and see if I get the same readings with the rods as I did with the pendulum.

Attachments

• IMG_1144.JPG
    IMG_1144.JPG
    117.7 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_1143.JPG
    IMG_1143.JPG
    124.9 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_1142.JPG
    IMG_1142.JPG
    109.5 KB · Views: 245

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner

Looks to me like a good place to learn how to locate and follow mine tunnels….I find a mine tunnel on the top right corner and a closed entrance off the top of the photo…I get nothing of value…Art

Attachments

• IMG_1142.JPG
    IMG_1142.JPG
    129.6 KB · Views: 232

aussie 1

Aug 4, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I feel it is a mine exploratry shaft. Going by the size of the mullock heap and lack of quartz and or white long lead outer sheathing or black inner core it ended up a dud. Max

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread