Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
This is what Max’s rods look like

my130.GIF

lesjcbs

Jul 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Pocket dowsing L- Rods shown above. Whites Beach Comber, Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter II, Whites TM 808, Canon 350D EOS Digital Rebel XT DSLR Camera.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Aart: When you dowse with dowsing rods, how do you pinpoint a target? The reason I ask is sometimes my rods cross directly over the target and sometimes they cross near the target, but not directly over it.

lesjcbs

Jul 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Pocket dowsing L- Rods shown above. Whites Beach Comber, Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter II, Whites TM 808, Canon 350D EOS Digital Rebel XT DSLR Camera.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Aart: In the past, when my rods crossed over what I call ground zero, I stand on that spot and swing my electronic metal detector in a circle as far as I can reach. On average, the targets have been within 18 inches from ground zero. Some closer and some farther out from ground zero.

I am very confident that when my rods cross, there is a target to dig up. But to keep from digging up large areas, and to find the target quickly, I am going to continue pin pointing with my metal detector. I will also keep track of and try different things to improve my accuracy with my rods.

Today, I dowsed in a city park without using my electric metal detector as a pin pointer. My rods crossed as usual but the three targets I found were off to the side from ground zero.. Two were pieces of tin foil wrappings and the other was a sprinkler head. It was only after I bent down to get closer to ground zero that I saw these targets just under the grass. All others I could not locate with my ice pick. They could have been within a fraction of an inch from my pick but I did not know it. If I had my metal detector, I could have known. I dowsed about eight times today. Finding three out of eight is better than nothing. So there is hope. I just have to keep at it and find the technique that works for me is all. I will try your heel method for pin pointing to see how it works for me. But I will have to admit, it seems a little strange to me right now.

Other than perhaps the risk of batteries going dead when needed, is there some other compelling reason why you do not use a standard electronic metal detector to pin point a dowsed target?

Les.

Last edited:

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Other than perhaps the risk of batteries going dead when needed, is there some other compelling reason why you do not use a standard electronic metal detector to pin point a dowsed target?
Yes there is. You may be reading a 1000 gold bars buried 4 foot deep. When the rods cross you can mark that spot. Then walk until the rods open. Mark and walk back until the rods open again. Mark and determine where the center is. Turn 90 degrees until they open again. That should give some idea how big it is. Mark and continue walking. The rods will open and mark again. That distance should be the depth....I use 16 penny nails with a piece of Surveyor tape on them..Art

Last edited:

lesjcbs

Jul 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes there is. You may be reading a 1000 gold bars buried 4 foot deep. When the rods cross you can mark that spot. Then walk until the rods open. Mark and walk back until the rods open again. Mark and determine where the center is. Turn 90 degrees until they open again. That should give some idea how big it is. Mark and continue walking. The rods will open and mark again. That distance should be the depth....I use 16 penny nails with a piece of Surveyor tape on them..Art
I have a lot of yellow colored plastic tent pegs which I will use for my markers.

I do not remember my rods crossing over a target that is straight ahead of me. It has always been the targets are to the left of me. When I dowse, each rod serves a purpose. My right rod points to the target and my left one crosses over the right to form the X when I am over or near the target. Walking forward, when my right rod starts swinging to the left, I turn with it until the left rod crosses over it forming an X. I read somewhere in the past that for most dowsers, their rods will do this. Can you explain why it happens this way.
Les.

Last edited:

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
I have trained my mind to only let the rods react to signal lines that run north-south or east west. This makes it easier to check big areas faster. I will not follow a signal line that runs another direction. I never expect the object to be under my foot until I have followed the signal to it’s source. It’s your adventure so you make the rules
...Art

Last edited:

lesjcbs

Jul 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have trained my mind to only let the rods react to signal lines that run north-south or east west. This makes it easier to check big areas faster. I will not follow a signal line that runs another direction. I never expect the object to be under my foot until I have followed the signal to it’s source. It’s your adventure so you make the rules
...Art
Next time I dowse, which will be within the next day or two, I will take note if the signal lines I first detect are from one of the cardinal directions or not, then go from there.

Thinking about it, it would be easier to follow, say a magnetic heading of 90 degrees then turn right to 180 degree and so on, than to follow a signal line of say 172 degree then try to quickly figure what the next degree heading of 90 degrees to the right is. Am I understanding you correctly here? Les.

Last edited:

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Thinking about it, it would be easier to follow, say a magnetic heading of 90 degrees then turn right to 180 degree and so on, than to follow a signal line of say 172 degree then try to quickly figure what the next degree heading of 90 degrees to the right is. Am I understanding you correctly here? Les.
When your rods cross that may be a signal line. You have to know how to follow these lines. The target maybe yards or miles from where you find it. The reason I follow only signals that run north south east or west the odds are in my favor that they are not rays or rings produced by object.

Brivic1

Feb 20, 2013
Magalia, Nor Calif. formaly Vic. Australia
Detector(s) used
A2b groundhog/ whites GM3/ Vsat, and TDI.
13hp 5" jawcrusher, Dryblower, recirc. HB.
F md-20............ Goldbug Pro / 5"and 10" coils
Whites TDI several coils............... My own dowsing tools

Primary Interest:
Other
...Art

G'day Art, yep, me in Calif. 'been following thread, good advice , thanks.
Have been laid up for a week. Thanks for your advice on my claim and my mates. I am stlll awaiting health and good weather to go locate that reef and it will just be a fun-time,,, keeping good thoughts in head and concentrating on nothing else when dowsing.[ except the bloody " wait a minit vines" an " pucker-brush" that is ever present in search areas.. Good nuggets and a reef to you and all dowsers and detectorists too. B

Brivic1

Feb 20, 2013
Magalia, Nor Calif. formaly Vic. Australia
Detector(s) used
A2b groundhog/ whites GM3/ Vsat, and TDI.
13hp 5" jawcrusher, Dryblower, recirc. HB.
F md-20............ Goldbug Pro / 5"and 10" coils
Whites TDI several coils............... My own dowsing tools

Primary Interest:
Other
When your rods cross that may be a signal line. You have to know how to follow these lines. The target maybe yards or miles from where you find it. The reason I follow only signals that run north south east or west the odds are in my favor that they are not rays or rings produced by object.

I am getting a bit talkative tonite: Art, when I have walked north, and got crossed rods , I stop and turn say west, then take a few steps and they open up, and sort of point backward.., then I retrace my steps and they cross again, so I do a 180, and walk east and they open but point forward, so I slowly walk forward and if they swing back, then I stop, either I have passed over it or should go back to where they were crossed
So I go back to ehre they cross again and walk south a bit and they open and swing backwards, so I again returh to where they cross.
Now , I must be over the target since it will not let me get away from it, no left or right boxing it in , I am on target,.. I cannot even decern how deep
Next I will try to find the depth by walking away...By walking away they open up and I learned previously that if you concentrate on depth and only depth you will soon see the rods move and when they touch tips , that will be the depth to the target, I think I got that right, maybe not.. But ,Blimey, I may be a few feet away by then.. signalling quite a dig.. anything over 3 feet is too much,, for a nuggett anyway,,,
This is a good thread,,, I will let you know whats up next time, tatah.

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
When the rods cross for the first time stop and turn slowly to get your rod crossed perfectly. Now slowly walk the same direction. The roods should open and you should be on the same signal line turn 90 degree and slowly move back and forth. They should cross again. Now drop one rod to your side and see what the up rod does. Raise that back up and drop the other one. One of them should have have moved to point the direction of the target. If you are looking for Placer Gold and If you are in good area for the gold you will have many targets close together. You have to remember that you can pick up signals that are miles from your location and there maybe many of them that will cross the signal line that you are following.

This is how you should follow a signal line

678.gif

Last edited:

lesjcbs

Jul 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When the rods cross for the first time stop and turn slowly to get your rod crossed perfectly. Now slowly walk the same direction. The roods should open and you should be on the same signal line turn 90 degree and slowly move back and forth. They should cross again. Now drop one rod to your side and see what the up rod does. Raise that back up and drop the other one. One of them should have have moved to point the direction of the target. If you are looking for Placer Gold and If you are in good area for the gold you will have many targets close together. You have to remember that you can pick up signals that are miles from your location and there maybe many of them that will cross the signal line that you are following.

This is how you should follow a signal line

View attachment 1304397
Aart: In this diagram, you show a"locator" that is not the same as the dowsers rods. In the past I have read where some locators are as simple as a stainless steal rod over magnets placed in the ground to battery powered sensing box of some kind. What is the locator here in your diagram?

Les.

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
This diagram is from the instructions for a LRL. Following a signal from a man made signal and natural signals are the same

lesjcbs

Jul 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This diagram is from the instructions for a LRL. Following a signal from a man made signal and natural signals are the same
Aart: I just got through dowsing and here is what happened. Out of 8 rod crosses, I found 7 targets. At this point in my dowsing, I am unable to pinpoint where the target is using my rods only. My dowsing rod crosses gets me close but not right over the target. So, I used my electronic metal detector (MD) as a pin pointer.

My dowsing today was done in a city park. Here is how I do it: When my rods cross, I mark the spot with a plastic orange colored tent peg. I first scan where the tent peg is and the immediate area around it. If I do not get a reading at the tent peg spot on my MD, I then expand my scanning by standing on the peg and swing my detector in a circular pastern as far out as I can reach, making sure I cover that circle completely. I do not scan out any farther than as far as I can reach with my MD. If I get a hit anywhere in that circle, it counts. If I do not get a hit, it is a miss. In other words, at this point, to avoid digging huge holes which could take hours, I use my MD to verify a target is there and leave it at that. By using my MD in this way, it saves me lots of time.

I also did the maneuvering you show in post #32 for LRL's. My rods did not swing parallel but crossed into an X over the signal line.

Even though I will have my MD with me at all times, I will keep working at it as I want to get to the point where I can pin point with my rods. But, as you said, one could be sensing a target that is yards or even miles away. That in itself is a sobering thought.

Les

Last edited:

lesjcbs

Jul 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting video. Shows how simple dowsing can be. I hate the word "divining". It is so misleading.

Last edited:

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
You never know what will help you. You never know when one word in a post well help you. My oldest son Dowses in a way that is different than mine. I tell people to practice with known targets because I believe you can learn what the rods are telling you faster.

lesjcbs

Jul 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You never know what will help you. You never know when one word in a post well help you. My oldest son Dowses in a way that is different than mine. I tell people to practice with known targets because I believe you can learn what the rods are telling you faster.
I agree. I started dowsing known targets. If I had not, I too would probably have said dowsing does not work as there would never have been any positive indicators. The fact that everyone has to find out what technique works for themselves is probably where folks get confused, as there is no one correct or right way to dowse. There is just techniques.

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
I agree. I started dowsing known targets. If I had not, I too would probably have said dowsing does not work as there would never have been any positive indicators.
That’s how you learn what you can do. We are laughed at when we say we can locate stuff miles away. I know I can if the target is big enough. I know what I can find and how far I can get the signal. When I find a signal line and follow it I know it’s size by how far I have walked....Art

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions