Map dowsers - put your skills to the test?

deepsecrets

Jan 10, 2009
Shenandoah Valley Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let me state up front that I do believe in dowsing and map dowsing in particular - seen it work more often that just chance. I would like to offer up a little challange to the map dowsers out there. I have concealed two silver coins - one an 1837 8 Real silver Mexican and one 1773 2 Real silver. These coins were part of a very large cache found in 1982 in New Orleans during the building of the Meridien Hotel on Canal Street. The coins are concealed together somewhere within the red area on the aerial photo. First person to come closest to the coins before the end of January get the coins. Three dowsed locations per person only - Fair enough?

Attachments

• test site.JPG
    test site.JPG
    247.1 KB · Views: 1,084

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Should'nt we email our locations to you privately then you post the results after the deadline?
I don't see an email for you though.
I feel that would be more fair.
This would eliminate any sort of discrepancy amongst everyone, should any arise.
Jon

OP
OP
deepsecrets

deepsecrets

Jan 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
teleprospector said:
Should'nt we email our locations to you privately then you post the results after the deadline?
This would eliminate any sort of discrepancy amongst everyone, should any arise.
Jon

Jon - every post or PM will be timestamped by this forum - that should eliminate any question as to which submission came in first. Only one dowser has stepped up so far, I hope that more will give this a shot.

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
deepsecrets said:
teleprospector said:
Jon

Jon - every post or PM will be timestamped by this forum - that should eliminate any question as to which submission came in first. Only one dowser has stepped up so far, I hope that more will give this a shot.

We can't send pictures to you in a pm or can we?

OP
OP
deepsecrets

deepsecrets

Jan 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
teleprospector said:
deepsecrets said:
teleprospector said:
Jon

We can't send pictures to you in a pm or can we?

Well, yes you can send photos via a PM but why not just post them on the forum? Your choice, either way is fine.

OP
OP
deepsecrets

deepsecrets

Jan 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
okiedowser said:
deepsecrets Have you ever looked for silver coins in this place? with a MD? If not maybe you better,lots of silver..... ;D jr

This place has been searched many time by different people with MDs and a few coins and buttons have been found, nothing special. If there are silver coins here, they may be too deep for an MD to pick up. The place was a farm at one time - dates back to 1798.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First of all, you can keep your coins because, I only dowse for what is lost or can't be found.

I've marked some spots that should be good for metal detecting.

Attachments

• test site.JPG
    test site.JPG
    277 KB · Views: 952

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
deepsecrets said:
Let me state up front that I do believe in dowsing and map dowsing in particular - seen it work more often that just chance. I would like to offer up a little challange to the map dowsers out there. I have concealed two silver coins - one an 1837 8 Real silver Mexican and one 1773 2 Real silver. These coins were part of a very large cache found in 1982 in New Orleans during the building of the Meridien Hotel on Canal Street. The coins are concealed together somewhere within the red area on the aerial photo. First person to come closest to the coins before the end of January get the coins. Three dowsed locations per person only - Fair enough?

Sorry, I don't know how to post hits direct to your photo.

I get X and Y hits 2/3 down on the left property line, and weaker hits 2/3 down in the middle and also about 1/3 from the left on the bottom property line. Make of it what you will, I am not interested in material rewards. I prefer "ground truth" whether confirmatory or negatory.

My method of map dowsing is map upside down and eyes closed to eliminate visual clues, using an ordinary pencil to mark places where the pencil seems to "snag".

I expect certain "claimants" whose names are well known here to object to my attempt to contribute to your project, such being the politics of dowsing. I recommend that you form no opinion regarding the usefulness of any dowse which has not been independently corroborated and finally ground-truthed without alabis.

--Toto

OP
OP
deepsecrets

deepsecrets

Jan 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
woof! said:
I expect certain "claimants" whose names are well known here to object to my attempt to contribute to your project, such being the politics of dowsing. I recommend that you form no opinion regarding the usefulness of any dowse which has not been independently corroborated and finally ground-truthed without alabis.

--Toto

I can appreciate your comment and understand your position. It was not my intent to cause controversy here and if this little project has insulted or angered anyone, then I apologize. Dowsers are asked to dowse maps on this forum often, and I thought it would be good to provide a little reward for their efforts.

I will not criticize any dowser for their own personal belief on how or what works for them - dowsing, I believe, is a very personal and spiritual exercise; finding the method that works for the individual is part of a life-long journey, as with any skill that is to be mastered. I also believe that if a dowser sets a protocol that is predicated upon conditions, such as the type of dowsing rod to be used, or time of day, position of the sun, etc., then dowsing will work for them when the conditions are right according to their protocol.

My thanks to those that have responded, kindly, to my request.

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
Deepsecrets, there's nothing particularly controversial about your request for a map-dowse. "Certain people" from the LRL forum may choke on me dowsing, if I get flamed in your thread that's what it's about, it's not about your thread. ....BTW, asking people to limit their dowses to three "hits" reflects some good sense on your part, you're to be congratulated on that.

Okiedowser, the way I use a pencil in map-dowsing, I hold it vertically loosely, it's just a variant on pendulum dowsing.

--Toto

john glassman

Apr 16, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like your form of contest to see if dowsing is true .I dowse but i like to be on site i to the best reponse from the rods :tongue3:

OP
OP
deepsecrets

deepsecrets

Jan 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will post the location of the coins this Saturday 15th Jan after 6pm EDT so if anyone else wants to give it a try, feel free to do so.

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
deepsecrets said:
I will post the location of the coins this Saturday 15th Jan after 6pm EDT so if anyone else wants to give it a try, feel free to do so.

I thought we had till the end of January?

OP
OP
deepsecrets

deepsecrets

Jan 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
teleprospector said:
deepsecrets said:

I thought we had till the end of January?

Seems like interest is waning so I didn't see the need to prolong the wait...if you all want to see this to the end of the month then so be it, but let me know otherwise Saturday will be it.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
deepsecrets said:
woof! said:

--Toto

I can appreciate your comment and understand your position. It was not my intent to cause controversy here and if this little project has insulted or angered anyone, then I apologize. Dowsers are asked to dowse maps on this forum often, and I thought it would be good to provide a little reward for their efforts.

I will not criticize any dowser for their own personal belief on how or what works for them - dowsing, I believe, is a very personal and spiritual exercise; finding the method that works for the individual is part of a life-long journey, as with any skill that is to be mastered. I also believe that if a dowser sets a protocol that is predicated upon conditions, such as the type of dowsing rod to be used, or time of day, position of the sun, etc., then dowsing will work for them when the conditions are right according to their protocol.

My thanks to those that have responded, kindly, to my request.

Ok, I've changed my mind...but I'd like to mark all silver signals, then check each marked spot to see which ones are coins. We'll see if it is possible to tell your coins from other Spanish silver coins.

Tim Williams

Dec 24, 2005
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Arc-Geo Logger-TM-808-Garrett XL500-Deepstar
I get 2 hits. I put the area of interest. If the targets are in that area zoom in and I will try to pinpoint better. One hit is the house. I don't question dowse, I use a different method. So I may be going to a larger target in the house. Both of these may be larger targets. I go by mass.

Tim

Attachments

• test site1.JPG
    test site1.JPG
    270 KB · Views: 754

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want everybody to know that I made a mistake in reading deepsecrets opening post. I read it like "that I don't believe in dowsing" instead of "that I do believe in dowsing" so, was thinking here goes another dowsing skeptic. My deep apology deepsecrets!

I marked the silver signals first, then went back to ID. Them.

Here probably is the most likely spot for your 2 coins. Blue circle with a blue X in it, arrows point to 2 silver coins at a depth of 3 ½ and 4 inches. I don’t get a lost old coin signal on these…either someone dropped or intentionally buried them in recent times or the coin type isn’t a valuable old one. I do get a Spanish signal, but some Mexican person could have dropped them in recent times.

Blue circles are silver signals, ones with black Xs coins, yellow Xs jewelry & pocket watches, coin silver or sterling silverware, no Xs other targets such as silver plated spoons.

The large yellow X without a circle is for gold coin, large yellow X in a red circle for gold and silver coins.

The large red X in a blue circle is assorted jewelry and silverware.

Black A plus arrow pointing to building is a silver signal, maybe silver and gold/white gold & diamond jewelry, non-silver coins possibly. Also detected some turquoise.
Black B plus arrow pointing to building is a strong silver signal, seems to be loose silver coins.

Attachments

• test site-map.JPG
    test site-map.JPG
    283.3 KB · Views: 741
OP
OP
deepsecrets

deepsecrets

Jan 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to all who participated in this exercise - some very interesting results indeed. Knowing the history of this property, you can be sure I will be out with my detector when the ground thaws! Okay, it would appear the Red_Desert nailed the location of the coins - so, well done and please PM me your mailing address to where I can send the coins. :hello2:

This exercise was not intended to discredit dowsing and there probably be some who will point to the results and claim it proves dowsing doesn't work. To me it reveals that dowsing most definately can work and the importance of asking the right question when dowsing, for example, if asking where the coins are "buried", the results will be off as the coins were not "buried" but "concealed". Are there buried coins on this property? - most likely and I do intend to post anything I find based on these dowsing results. I have marked on the final image locations where other dowsers have indicated targets, and also the location of the original barns, storehouse, and blacksmith forge for the plantation that were burned by Union troops during the Shenandoah Valley campaign, and locations of where colonial silver coins and buttons have been found using a metal detector in the past.

Thanks again, next time I intend to "conceal" a gold coin and let you all give it a shot.

Attachments

• test area_location.jpg
    test area_location.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 765
  • test_site_summary.JPG
    test_site_summary.JPG
    273.7 KB · Views: 740

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions