My L-Rod with last modification...

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
A magnet can keep the rods from closing. Put a bar magnet in your shirt pocket lengthwise. Try your rods. Then reverse the magnet. What did you learn?

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A magnet can keep the rods from closing. Put a bar magnet in your shirt pocket lengthwise. Try your rods. Then reverse the magnet. What did you learn?
Magnets do have an effect, I know that most people don't realize, bending ferrous metal can cause the molecules to align enough, to make it to become slightly magnetic. Striking the end of a screwdriver with a hammer will cause the same magnetic effect, molecules realign their atomic polarity, becoming slightly magnetic. Some dowsers swear by hanger L-rods and there could be a physical explanation for this.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Magnets do have an effect, I know that most people don't realize, bending ferrous metal can cause the molecules to align enough, to make it to become slightly magnetic. Striking the end of a screwdriver with a hammer will cause the same magnetic effect, molecules realign their atomic polarity, becoming slightly magnetic. Some dowsers swear by hanger L-rods and there could be a physical explanation for this.

Correction: I meant to say "atoms" and NOT "molecules" for iron is an element.

Here is a link with an article to back up my comment.
https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/18340/can-you-magnetize-iron-with-a-hammer

Here is a portion of important parts to read...

Can you magnetize iron with a hammer?

We know that a piece of ferromagnet, such as iron, can be magnetized by putting in a strong magnetic field to get domains parallel to the field grow.

I also remember from pop. culture and MacGyver old tv series that you can magnetize a piece of iron by hitting it hard, with a hammer say, along the same direction.
1-Is this way of magnetizing iron scientific? or is it pseudoscience?

and if it is scientific then:

2-what is the physical principle that will allow iron to get magnetized by hitting? and

3-how about nonferromagnetic materials?

Answer:
Strike an iron nail squarely and sharply several times with a hammer while keeping the nail positioned in a north-south orientation. The impact of the hammer with the iron nail causes the magnetic domains within the nail to break loose from their current orientation. The Earth's magnetic field will then reposition the domains into a new orientation parallel with the Earth's magnetic field.

It is evident that this can be done only with materials that have small domains with magnetization, which are randomly oriented, so the material has to be ferromagnetic.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread