Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Real de Tayopa Tropical Tramp said:
RD &, tinker keep posting, love it. Incidentaly there is a spot near Tayopa that has aroused my intererst for this type of mining. A possible pipe ?

Don Jose de La Mancha
It's quite possible Real de Tayopa, some US gold rush era legends include, raw diamonds found by gold prospectors. I'm finding out from other T-Net members (recently), still a few kimberlite/lamproite diamond producing places in the western states, that I've never heard of before. Just watch for them when panning or sluicing, dredging for gold.

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Red_desert said:
It's quite possible Real de Tayopa, some US gold rush era legends include, raw diamonds found by gold prospectors. I'm finding out from other T-Net members (recently), still a few kimberlite/lamproite diamond producing places in the western states, that I've never heard of before. Just watch for them when panning or sluicing, dredging for gold.

A bit more than a legend R_D.

Diamond finds have been authenticated as having been found in; Amador, Butte, El Dorado,
Nevada, Stanislaus, Tulare, and Tuolumne Counties.

The Oroville area, in Butte County, was and is California's most famous diamond locality,
particularly Cherokee Flat, where the first diamond was found in 1852 or 53. The largest stone
from Cherokee Pit was found in 1868 by John Moore and weighed 6 carats. Two other stones,
one cut and one rough were mounted in rings. Both are on display in the mineral exhibit of the
California Division of Mines and Geology in San Francisco, together with a rough diamond from
Volcano. But, there has never been any kind of an agreement made on where the diamonds
originated. All seem to have been found in ancient alluvial deposits similar to the ones in Brazil.

One little hint for any aspiring diamond hunters; California diamonds and even some of the ones
from Arkansas can be spotted after dark with a "short-wave" ultraviolet light. They tend to glow
a bright silvery blue under the ultraviolet.

For those interested in persuing this further, try to locate the book: "Hunting Diamonds in California",
by Mary Hill.
Sorry Red_desert, didn't mean to hog your thread, I just enjoy talking. :laughing9:

Eagle

OP
OP
Red_desert

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EagleDown, don't think you're hoging the thread. I have an old small mineral light with both long and shortwave UV. Not bright enough for outdoors at night, but it makes a small cut diamond in gold jewelry glow. Tried the UV light on cut brilliant white sapphires, they only glow brightly on one side, hardly any the other. Not sure if that is the shortwave or longwave UV.

Found a website dedicated to diamond prospecting, covers associated minerals, diamond deposits along the Colorado border.
http://diamondprospector.webs.com/

Another page of the site.
http://diamondprospector.webs.com/diamonds.htm

bookcliff

Jan 4, 2004
Utah
Detector(s) used
Minelab sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Eagle.
I just ordered the book. Don't know if I'll make it to CA but maybe. I've already done some research there so this should help.
Nick

Hi Red

OP
OP
Red_desert

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bookcliff said:
Thanks Eagle.
I just ordered the book. Don't know if I'll make it to CA but maybe. I've already done some research there so this should help.
Nick

Hi Red
Hello Nick, I used to have some older treasure magazines with articles about the blue diamonds discovered in California. Can't be sure on the exact location, has been too many years ago, since reading them.

bookcliff

Jan 4, 2004
Utah
Detector(s) used
Minelab sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I already got my book today
Just two days from LA

It has a good bibliography
About California diamond geography

It's a somewhat small book
It gives a comprehensive look

It lists the diamonds found in El Dorado
Even tells about the hoax in Colorado

It just overwhelms me that the bibliography goes back to 1852.
Nick

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bookcliff said:
Thanks Eagle.
Nick
Hi Red

You're very welcome Nick!!

I had my interest aroused over diamonds back in the mid 80s. I was in Butte County, in an area where I was told I would be able to find some natural quartz crystals. I wandered around looking closely at any bare clay I could find. All in all, I probably found a couple dozen fine crystals, each about a half inch long. During my searching, I picked up one that looked more like a rounded nugget than a quartz
crystal.

When I was about ready to leave and head back home, I poured the crystals out of their little pouch, into my hand. As I was looking at them, a cloud drifted away and allowed the sun to shine on my little pile of goodies. As my hand moved, there was a brilliant flash of red, then another flash of blue. I realized that the flashes were coming from that little (what I thought was a) water tumbled nugget of a crystal. I figured that it had a couple of cracks in it that was breaking the light down, like a prism. My words to it are indelibly imprinted in my memory; "If I didn't know any better, I would swear you were a diamond". :laughing7:

It was 1 or 2 years later that while browsing in a rock shop that I saw the book: "Hunting Diamonds in California". Needless to say, I bought the book and went home to read it. Up until that time, I had absolutely no idea that diamonds had been found in CA.

After reading about the counties, I dropped the book on the table and went into my office, to find my little specimen bag. After dumping out the contents, I found it was no longer in my posession. :dontknow:

I was in the habit of giving a small crystal to the younger brothers, for their medicine bags. So, somewhere, there's a Native American walking around with a one to two carat rough diamond in his medicine bag. :laughing7:

Eagle

Reactions: Rip

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi R_d,

While I am in here, I just wanted to thank you for those links. (Above)

They're very interesting. Makes me want to go diamond hunting, since there's no longer
any dredging allowed in CA. :-[

The way this country is heading, soon there'll be no one on the streets, other than the cops.

Eagle

OP
OP
Red_desert

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EagleDown said:
Hi R_d,

While I am in here, I just wanted to thank you for those links. (Above)

They're very interesting. Makes me want to go diamond hunting, since there's no longer
any dredging allowed in CA. :-[

The way this country is heading, soon there'll be no one on the streets, other than the cops.

Eagle
Gifted it for a medicine bag....is the Turtle mountains included in the book? Supposed to be some great gemstone areas around there, located in the desert west of Arizona.

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Red_desert said:
Gifted it for a medicine bag....is the Turtle mountains included in the book? Supposed to be some great gemstone areas around there, located in the desert west of Arizona.

Unfortunately, no. The book is limited to CA diamonds.

Eagle

OP
OP
Red_desert

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EagleDown said:
Red_desert said:

Unfortunately, no. The book is limited to CA diamonds.

Eagle

California Turtle mountains was asking about. I'm doing a little searching on my own. Interesting, the very first link I've looked at, mentions an ancient volcanic crater.
http://angeles.sierraclub.org/dps/archives/dps02162.htm

Mopah Peak In the Turtle Mountains of Southern California has long been a landmark for lost-mine hunters, prospectors and gem stone collectors. More recently this ancient volcanic crater has become a challenge to the mountain-climbing fraternity, and here is the story of a recent ascent by members of the Sierra Club of California.

OP
OP
Red_desert

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't find diamonds listed anywhere yet for this area, but should make for a great rockhounding trip.

BLM map source
http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/needles/rock.html

Rockhounding Locations:

1. Turtle Mountain. Parker Dam Desert Access Guide (DAG)

The Turtle Mountain Wilderness and surrounding areas have long been known for it's beautiful rocks, good jasper, opalite, and much more. Each rain seems to uncover something new. Three proven locales are Mohawk Spring, Mopah Peaks, and Negro Peak. In addition chalcedony rose and agate can be found on either side of Turtle Mountain Road.

2. Chemehuevi Wash. Parker Dam DAG

On the south side of Havasu Lake Road, just 2 miles east of the intersection of power line road, you can find red, yellow, white and brown moss, banded and picture agate, as well as blue opal and agate, and rhyolite. Continue east on for 2.2 miles, then take the dirt road south 1 mile to find colorful agate, brecciated red and white jasper, opalite in pastel shades of pink, yellow, chalcedony rose and crystal-lined geodes.

Attachments

• turtlemountains.jpg
    turtlemountains.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 715

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions