Is there anything on my farm ?

Rob in KS

Aug 21, 2006
Middle of Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
besides scrap iron!
I have found a couple of strange things here. One was a worn out horseshoe with a piece of wire through one of the nail holes. The wire was about 2" down and the shoe below that. It was in an upright position with the toe up. You know, in that position, all the luck runs out. I've heard of this being used to signify a recovered cache. I put back where it was.

A gal that grew up here in the 60's and 70's came by. She laughed when she saw my detector. She said you won't find many coins here cause we didn't have any. She's right I've only found exactly $1.00

You should look meteorites too when your checking somebody's photo

Attachments

• farm1.jpg
    farm1.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 127

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny you should say "meteorites when checking" because I normally don't check for them unless it is a specific request. I have dowsed GE maps already (happened recently) where a spot marked as a treasure response turned out to be a meteorite impact site. So, I believe meteorites will show up sometimes in dowsed results, as a treasure response, even without a dowser realizing it. I do have a couple unidentified responses all 1-2 feet deep.

Attachments

• farm1-Rob in KS.jpg
    farm1-Rob in KS.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 142
OP
OP
Rob in KS

Rob in KS

Aug 21, 2006
Middle of Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Red,
I hope there were some pieces of that meteorite left.

The spot near the trees has an old 1 bottom plow on it's side half buried. It's in a depression. I thought maybe it was an old privy hole, but it's too far from the old house.

I don't know much about dowsing, just what I read here. One day I thought I'd try it. I bent some brazing rod and off I went. I was looking for a meteorite. I hit a spot where the rods crossed. I came at the spot from different directions and they crossed every time. It was a typical windy Kansas day. I was really impressed when the rods turned INTO the wind. It was a really strong reaction. I have a PI detector with a 3 foot coil. There was no reaction at the spot. I dug down 4 feet...nothing. I widened the hole and lowered another detector down..nothing. I still think there is something to that spot. I guess I need to practice.

I'll check those spots and let you know
Thanks again

Cochetopa

May 2, 2009
Galt's Gulch, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab Eureka Gold
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi, Red_desert and Rob in KS,

I have always experienced dowsing trouble, read “wrong results”, when using the word, “treasure”. In an effort to work around the difficulty, I am now using target words like, “booty”, ”hoard”, “contraband”, etc. Honestly, I have no evidence as yet that this approach is any better, though.

Sam Wolfe defined the word, “treasure”, as, “anything hidden by a human”. However, last January, I joined a local club of metal detector enthusiasts, the Uncompahgre Treasure Club (UTC). (Here, I am a minority of one, as I joined solely because I want to use my Minelab detector to hunt for alluvial/eluvial/residual placer gold deposits.) If any of my fellow members should successfully beep the location of a meteorite, everyone else in UTC would consider that action as a successful treasure recovery.

Soapbox ON:
The word, “treasure”, has been cheapened to nowadays mean almost anything. I think a couple of decades ago, the metal detector companies started employing it in marketing materials. It’s a powerfully emotional word, and I believe using it helped the companies sell a lot of product. Before, being called a treasure hunter specifically described someone like Mel Fisher or excavators at the Oak Island money pit. THers were encumbered by responsibility for financial and physical risk. Today, Jane and John Doe beepin’ for pennies on the beach at San Diego are considered treasure hunters. I am saddened by this, but maybe it’s my age showing.
Soapbox OFF:

I am not trying to be arrogant and claim my way is better than any one else’s. I’m just sharing experience in hopes others will do the same, and we will all improve thereby.

Sincerely,
Cochetopa/Jim

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes Cochetopa/Jim. I've discovered this to be true. To search using the "treasure" question, can bring all kinds of results. I believe using "gold treasure" question will also locate raw gold veins or placer deposits. The "raw gold" question helps me to identify them. Asking about coins or bullion in a non-specific way, without specifying the type of metal, is a good way to follow up (once raw gold areas located). For meteorites, possibly the specific "meteorite" question might be best.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I checked the red circles some more, there is a definite response for iron but does not seem meteorites. The meteorite impact site I mentioned above, had marked it with a green circle. The reason why, it gave no response for a buried treasure and not a man made treasure. It did give a very definite treasure signal though, which made the signal very different from artifact sites. A large iron-nickel meteorite had been recovered from the spot. Red X a couple loose surface coin signals. I've marked a spot with green circle/Xs, not a man made metallic object, but seems to be a type of stone. I would check for flint shards, arrowheads first, then foundation stones or meteorites. I watched a news clip once about this large meteorite fall area in Kansas. I don't know where you are located, but those were big and deep fragments. The treasure hunter had to design his own coil, over-sized rectangular loop to reach down to the depth of some.

Attachments

• farm1x-Rob in KS.jpg
    farm1x-Rob in KS.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 131

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just happened to find a similar story, maybe the same one on TV. Wired 15.01: The Meteor Farmer "FOR TWO WEEKS, STEVE ARNOLD TRUDGED through the dusty farmland of Kiowa County, Kansas, a 6-foot rope trailing over his shoulder. Tied to the end of the rope was a metal detector cobbled together from PVC pipe and duct tape. Back and forth Arnold paced, pulling the jury-rigged device across the dirt, hunting for meteorites. He had already found a few, but nothing bigger than 100 pounds or so. Mostly, he found horseshoes. And beer cans. Soon the farmers would want him off their land; planting season was coming. To speed things up, Arnold attached his contraption to a tractor. He was sure there was a bigger rock out there, just a few feet beneath the turf." I think the story is the same as the news clip.

OP
OP
Rob in KS

Rob in KS

Aug 21, 2006
Middle of Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He's the guy that got me started hunting meteorites. There is a known strewnfield between Greensburg and Haviland. People have been picking them up since the 1880's. He found a 1400 lb one in 2005. It was 7.5 feet deep, a little deep for most detectors. After about a year of research, I found a circuit for a detector. Mine will see a 12" dutch oven at 5 feet. I built a second one on an old Garrett stalk. It has a 10" coil. Its down right now for an upgrade. I went out yesterday with a coin shooting detector and dug some scrap iron at the circle by the trees.

I have found a few artifacts, a hide scraper and a broken spear point. The Wichita lived in this area about 500 years ago before moving to OK.

Thanks, I'll keep you posted

Cochetopa

May 2, 2009
Galt's Gulch, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab Eureka Gold
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes Cochetopa/Jim. I've discovered this to be true. To search using the "treasure" question, can bring all kinds of results. I believe using "gold treasure" question will also locate raw gold veins or placer deposits. The "raw gold" question helps me to identify them. Asking about coins or bullion in a non-specific way, without specifying the type of metal, is a good way to follow up (once raw gold areas located). For meteorites, possibly the specific "meteorite" question might be best.

Thanks for your "raw" and trade you the synonym "native".
-C

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Rob in KS,
Dowsing revealed...
Large blue circle area: Loose coins, clad and silver.
Large white circle area: Pieces of pallasite meteorites.
Small blue and white circles: Pinpoint locations of aforementioned items.
Thanks for posting your picture,
Jon
farm1dowsed.jpg

OP
OP
Rob in KS

Rob in KS

Aug 21, 2006
Middle of Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for joining in Teleprospector. Those white circles are out in a wheat field. After they cut the wheat, they planted soybeans using no-till methods. I'm not sure if they will even cut the beans, not much out there due to the drought. So there is about 6 or 8 inches of wheat stubble and soybeans. I have a PI detector with a hula-hoop coil. I might drag it out there. Or maybe I'll grab my L-rods and give it a go!!

Thanks again

P.S. I took your marked up image and used it as an overlay in Google Earth. After I finally got it aligned, I have a good starting point.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread