Whites XLT Spectrum,
Minelab Xterra 705,
Whites TM808,
Bounty Hunter,
Si Go by Fitz
L Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been dowsing for a year and have had a well known dowser help me to find a quite a few targets on Google Earth and such. But going to the location and finding the caches, I have not located any of these targets yet. How many caches are out there that were found with dowsing and actually recovered?? I do not doubt it works but rather how accurate it is at all times?? I have got within 10 feet of items that were hidden for me to test my ability, but not something that was hidden 100 or more years ago with the intent of staying hidden. Tell me stories of found caches if you could. No real details, just the story..

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think all signals marked as caches, are really caches. I've map dowsed both metal Spanish (which were recovered) and carved rock markers (which were located) for treasure hunters. I think many caches people are researching actually have been recovered, either by following markers/signs or modern metal detecting and dowsing. Back in the late 1980s there were treasure hunters who went around all over the SW states digging up caches using a primitive metal detector along with a pendulum and L-rods. One article in a treasure magazine was about an TV channel in Colorado that did a story on some local treasure dowsers. Plenty of photos showing recovered caches in the magazine article. No gold was shown or talked about, just the silver dollar caches. The most impressive cache recovery mentioned in the article, the treasure dowsers got in their car, drove all the way from Denver area, following the signal picked up on the L-rods, to an old homestead across the California line. Yes, you can dowse caches, but many photos which I've seen marked for caches, might not have any. If a buried treasure is no longer there or there never was a cache, a dowser will pick up the best signals of whatever else is in the ground. If a cache is really buried at a dowsed location, it will be one of the best marked signals.

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
~coyote3~
I do not doubt it works but rather how accurate it is at all times?? I have got within 10 feet of items that were hidden for me to test my ability, but not something that was hidden 100 or more years ago with the intent of staying hidden. Tell me stories of found caches if you could. No real details, just the story..
10 feet is a clear miss...Have you studied how to mark an object? It could be that you are not using the same arm position every time. It could be that your rods are to long or short... Hundreds of things that you could be doing wrong. Practice until you know what the rods are telling you...Art

OP
OP
C

coyote3

Apr 12, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Spectrum,
Minelab Xterra 705,
Whites TM808,
Bounty Hunter,
Si Go by Fitz
L Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am talking about map dowsing with Google Earth and I am within ten feet. Not on site dowsing.. I have yet to find a great method of finding caches on site. I have a Carl Anderson Mineral Rod and it seems to work great until I get to a cache area and then I cannot find anything.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Close up on a site, can be more difficult. For me, locating a map dowsed signal can be done from a distance away usually 300 feet or more. Everyone needs to find out what works best for them. I learned my long distance methods, by working with my L-rods at mining claims in Arizona (on a trip). Dowsing an area right in front of you, on gold claims produces signals for spots, need a drywasher to recover. Finally realized I must raise my rods some, focus off more to the horizon. I followed a signal cutting across a claim until found a large area of many tailing piles. Later tried to find the spot without dowsing with my camera along, no luck visually and went in circles. Then I helped a miner find a claim he used to have before moving to Florida about 10 years earlier. You would think a claim holder always could relocate their old gold claim. Well, he had tried on at least 2 other trips, failed both times. Now we walked up the access road which was a couple miles from camp. All the small peaks with washes looked nearly the same. Went past a few washes after checking for the claim by L-rod dowsing, near the suspected location. This former claim holder the looked and said "an 11 ounce nugget was found in that wash there" but the rods indicated to keep going. It happened again, so we kept on going. I think it was the 3rd time my rods moved over to indicate the right location. First time and there he found his old claim. The hill side had a decorated pick 'n shovel made with white quartz chunks fine artwork done once by a friend.

OP
OP
C

coyote3

Apr 12, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Spectrum,
Minelab Xterra 705,
Whites TM808,
Bounty Hunter,
Si Go by Fitz
L Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I am all for learning how to use L rods. Thank you for your information on the subject if I have any question I hope I can get someone to answer them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread