Cochetopa

May 2, 2009
Galt's Gulch, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab Eureka Gold
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi, Everyone,

Some months back, my wife returned from a meeting where a geologist spoke about how my region of Colorado was favorable for the occurrence of rare earth elements, REEs. Also, he spoke about how communist China has a strangle hold on the world’s production of these materials. I already knew the second part, but it tick’d me off anyway. So, I decided to try a prospecting project for REEs.

You can read more about rare earth elements and their occurrence in the US here, USGS Scientific Investigations Report 2010-5220: The Principal Rare Earth Elements Deposits of the United States?A Summary of Domestic Deposits and a Global Perspective
There is a discussion of REEs in Colorado around pp 41-48.

I grabbed my pendulum and my ancient Boy Scout compass. Sitting down for dowsing, I asked, “Is there an undiscovered rare-earth ore deposit nearby which you want me to have now?” I purposely used the term “ore deposit” because a mining engineer will tell you its definition is “any mineral occurrence which can be mined profitably under current economic conditions”. I wanted a location which had potential for a working mine. Anyway, I obtained an azimuth, and then dowsed using my pendulum for a distance. The distance surprised me because the dowsing process apparently interpreted “nearby” rather figuratively, i.e. the target wasn’t within a day trip’s driving distance from my home. (Life issues force me to be at home during evenings right now.) I was disappointed I would not be driving out to verify the dowsing results anytime soon.

Sometime later, I decided to try again, but constrain the search area to MY interpretation of “nearby” by using the pile-of-maps technique which I have described in my previous postings on Tnet Dowsing forum. I also wasn’t so hard-nosed about the ore deposit thing, I just wanted a REE occurrence which I could go onsite to verify proof of concept. I started dowsing with 1:100,000 scale BLM Surface Management maps, and by triangulation work with my L-rod eventually had the location identified on a 1:24,000 scale USGS topo map.

In August, I drove to the location and walked an area of 3-4 football fields smacking off rock samples with my Estwing hammer. REE minerals generally look like plain dirt in most of their natural occurrences, so to really verify my results I knew had to send samples off to a laboratory for analysis. That wasn’t cheap, but I did it to fulfill the project.

I’ve attached photos of the Excel spreadsheet (2 images, left-to-right) laboratory results for rare earth elements. You can see that Ce and La are the principal REEs found. The mineral bastnaesite would be a possible match with the findings. A mining engineer friend of mine has reviewed the values and evaluated them as a rare earths occurrence, but not of economic consequence.

If I go back, I intend to explore in the direction of samples 2 and 3 for possibly higher grade material. The trip was a true educational experience for me with respect to mineral identification and sampling.

Good luck out there folks. I hope your projects are successful.

Sincerely,
Cochetopa

p.s. It’s getting cold here in Colorado, so my field trips may be coming to a stop until next spring. We’ll see how hardy I am. :unhappysmiley:

Attachments

• assayReport01.JPG
    assayReport01.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 156
  • assayReport02.JPG
    assayReport02.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 155
  • EasterlyPanorama.jpg
    EasterlyPanorama.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 161
  • NorthPanorama.jpg
    NorthPanorama.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 155
  • NorthWestView.jpg
    NorthWestView.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 144
  • SouthWestView.jpg
    SouthWestView.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 170
  • Sample3.JPG
    Sample3.JPG
    230.1 KB · Views: 181
  • Sample2.JPG
    Sample2.JPG
    220.6 KB · Views: 237
  • Sample1.JPG
    Sample1.JPG
    228.5 KB · Views: 234

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cochetopa, I tried your definition for ore, got a hit in this photo. Dowsed first the thumbnail size photos in the thread, then downloaded the full size pic with the ore hit to mark. I do get a signal for rare earth in the #1-3 photos, but signals stop when using the ore definition.

Attachments

• NorthWestView.jpg
    NorthWestView.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 216
OP
OP
Cochetopa

Cochetopa

May 2, 2009
Galt's Gulch, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab Eureka Gold
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Cochetopa, I tried your definition for ore, got a hit in this photo. Dowsed first the thumbnail size photos in the thread, then downloaded the full size pic with the ore hit to mark. I do get a signal for rare earth in the #1-3 photos, but signals stop when using the ore definition.

Hi, Red_desert,

Thank you for your feedback, I do appreciate it. Recall, I am into this “blind” dowsing thing. You had no idea in which direction my best two rock samples were obtained, so I especially value your results because of this lack of bias. You’ve given me more motivation to go back to the site for a second visit.

I’ll mention now that standing on higher ground in the area and looking out, I could see the color and distribution of rocky float on distant slopes. From that I can infer the mineral occurrence extends beyond the limited extent that I walked.

Thanks, again.

Sincerely,
Cochetopa/Jim

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're welcome Cochetopa/Jim , I enjoy mineral searches in map/photo dowsing a bit more than for the typical man made type treasures.

OP
OP
Cochetopa

Cochetopa

May 2, 2009
Galt's Gulch, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab Eureka Gold
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Hi, Red and forum members,

Last week, I returned to my site of rare earth minerals to follow-up on my investigation, and especially to see what Red’s dowsing led me to. I have attached some photos for illustration, so people can see what I found.

Red_desertsSite1: this photo is a close-up of the rocky outcrop that Red targeted in my original photo with his red circle with an X in it. The green arrow shows the direction of the view from the original photo. The green ellipse highlights a dark rock intrusion just to the west of the beige granite boulders which can be seen from a distance in the original photo.

Red_desertsSite2: this photo is of the same location as ...Site1, but taken from a higher hillside to the south of it and looking north down onto the rock exposures.

Red_desertsSamples: this final photo shows the samples I smacked off from the in situ dark material. The green mineral in the samples is olivine, a.k.a. peridot, when the crystals are large enough to be cut and polished into women’s jewelry.

I have not had the samples assayed yet, and it may be a while, as the lab work isn’t cheap. When it’s done, you will all be informed.

Sincerely,
-C

Attachments

• Red_desertsSamples.JPG
    Red_desertsSamples.JPG
    226.2 KB · Views: 150
  • Red_desertsSite2.JPG
    Red_desertsSite2.JPG
    205.2 KB · Views: 139
  • Red_desertsSite1.JPG
    Red_desertsSite1.JPG
    242.4 KB · Views: 149

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Jim, I'll be waiting to find out.

OP
OP
Cochetopa

Cochetopa

May 2, 2009
Galt's Gulch, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab Eureka Gold
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi, Red_desert and other forum members,

This is a final post to my dowsing investigations into a rare earth minerals deposit in Colorado.

Prior to my second trip to the site, I map dowsed a USGS 1:24,000 scale topo map at home for any other rare earth elements exposure to examine while on site. This result location is identified as “CochetopasSample3” or “Sample3” in the attachments.

Attachments descriptions:
AssayReportRedAndCochetopa: PDF of lab analysis results. (First time I have uploaded a PDF, so I’m not sure how it’ll work out. You might have to magnify the display from Adobe Reader to be able to see the numeric values.)

Red_desertsSample1: close-up image of rock sample sent to lab for analysis

CochetopasSample3: close-up image of rock sample sent to lab for analysis

CochetopasSample3Location: as you can see from the muck pile in this photo, unbeknownst to me someone had started to dig an adit into the mountainside long before my map dowsing at home and arrival on site. I took my mineral sample from an in situ outcrop downslope from the tailings pile.
The assay report values fail to confer bragging rights for the discovery of a rich mineral deposit of rare earth elements. I found no rare earth ore samples there, but all my specimens were from surface exposures, and concentrations could change with depth. (Refer to my previous definition of ore.)

I enjoyed the learning experience of this project. Good luck everyone in all your dowsing work.

Sincerely,
-C

Attachments

• AssayReportRedAndCochetopa.pdf
    12.1 KB · Views: 84
  • CochetopasSample3.JPG
    CochetopasSample3.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 139
  • CochetopasSample3Location.JPG
    CochetopasSample3Location.JPG
    229.9 KB · Views: 149
  • Red_desertsSample1.JPG
    Red_desertsSample1.JPG
    98.5 KB · Views: 155

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Jim, the file opened and saved it. Nobody ever asked me to dowse for rare earth minerals before, so this was a new experience. Next time I will keep in mind to check areas for deeper, better deposits or ore grade samples. I'm no expert on evaluating the assay charts either, will leave that for those who are qualified.

Yes in Adobe reader, the zoom of over 100% was needed for easy reading.

Last edited:

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How are things going Jim? Have not heard from you in a while.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Red_desertsSamples: this final photo shows the samples I smacked off from the in situ dark material. The green mineral in the samples is olivine, a.k.a. peridot, when the crystals are large enough to be cut and polished into women’s jewelry."

Oh Jim, might be nice to hear more about the peridot crystals, whether any were large or gemmy enough to use.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread