1700s trading post somewhere here

fenixdigger

Feb 8, 2010
Detector(s) used
Aurora Aqua, Excalibur, Garrett CX2, Gemini-3, MFD's, Sovereign, Viper, E Trac, Dees Nutz rod, Tesoro Sand Shark. Pro pulse.
1700's trading post somewhere here

Any indications of very old structures? There were a lot of Indians also in this area. Rumors of Viking armor being found. lake.jpg

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This wouldn't be the Seven Pillars old French trading post SW of Peru, IN? If so, I've seen the stone fireplace, I know where the cave is which is on private property. The cave entrance is under a porch of an old home once lived in by a Miami medicine chief. The cave is filled in, it was a sacred cave used by the tribe to leave offerings to the Great Spirit. I never was able to get permission for the cave.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, I see this is Little Pitcher lake, Posey county, IN. The other French trading post was in Miami county. The story I got from the Miami medicine chief is that the Miami Indians became like, as we say the "middle man" in trading. This is how they got some of their gold. Supposedly, according to the Miami Indian I talked to, they made gold statues of, to look like the important Miami chiefs.

OP
OP
fenixdigger

fenixdigger

Feb 8, 2010
Detector(s) used
Aurora Aqua, Excalibur, Garrett CX2, Gemini-3, MFD's, Sovereign, Viper, E Trac, Dees Nutz rod, Tesoro Sand Shark. Pro pulse.
I have an old map that has Indian mounds, but the trading post was long gone when it was made.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, I've been really behind in my dowsing work, trying so hard to get caught up. Soon as I get time will check it out for you.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep getting a good hit in the large red circle area.

Attachments

• lake-fenixdiggercrop.jpg
    lake-fenixdiggercrop.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 399
OP
OP
fenixdigger

fenixdigger

Feb 8, 2010
Detector(s) used
Thanks Red. Snow today, I'm sure you are getting some also. I'll get on this shortly. May need the Excalibur on this. Not sure how deep it is. LT

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got done digging out from the snow. It was windy last night causing drifting, but we got less snow than south of here.

Are some red hits in the water? The French trading post site may have more of an archaeological type of signal, usually mark those in green. Letting my arms rest up a bit first, will try a check on it.

OP
OP
fenixdigger

fenixdigger

Feb 8, 2010
Detector(s) used
The water level varies a lot, so the size almost doubles in very high water. Old Google maps show it on land. We'll see shortly.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Green for archaeological type of hits.

Attachments

• lake-fenixdiggercrop2.jpg
    lake-fenixdiggercrop2.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 128
OP
OP
fenixdigger

fenixdigger

Feb 8, 2010
Detector(s) used
Wow! All in 1 area. This should be fun. I will take photos of the area when I go.

OP
OP
fenixdigger

fenixdigger

Feb 8, 2010
Detector(s) used
In my research, I found a reference to a metal helmet and armor that the Indians traded in the late 1700s. Said it was from a battle fought with light skinned people many generations ago. That would be very cool to find something from that period. We'll see.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my research, I found a reference to a metal helmet and armor that the Indians traded in the late 1700s. Said it was from a battle fought with light skinned people many generations ago. That would be very cool to find something from that period. We'll see.
That would be interesting. On a DNA testing website, they believe Cherokees had contact many centuries ago, with a ship that made it here from the Mediterranean. Some Cherokee words show a Greek origin and DNA testing they say, backs that up. Then some of the rock art indicates a Middle East origin too. The armour legend probably is true.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hs a link---- Cherokee | Rhesus Negative ----- "SUMMARY Three examples of North American rock art are discussed and placed in the context of ancient Greek and Hebrew civilization. The Red Bird Petroglyphs are compared with Greek and Hebrew coins and the Bat Creek Stone. The Possum Creek Stone discovered by Gloria Farley is identified as a Greek athlete’s victory pedestal. The Thruston Stone is interpreted as a record of the blending of Greek, Cherokee, Native American, Egyptian and Hebrew civilization. Keetoowah Society traditions, as captured in The Vision of Eloh’, are adduced to confirm a general outline of the origins of the Cherokee people in a Ptolemaic Greek trans-Pacific expedition joining pre-arriving Greeks, Jews and Phoenicians in the Ohio Valley around 100 c.e. Recent DNA investigations showing Egyptian, Jewish and Phoenician female lineages and the Y chromosome of Old Testament Priests among the Cherokee are also touched upon. "

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
Hey Larry....The location of the trading post is in the small yellow square...The large yellow area has Viking artifacts...The south part may have ship parts..I also get a rune stone in there...Art
lake.jpg

OP
OP
fenixdigger

fenixdigger

Feb 8, 2010
Detector(s) used
The large square is the dam and under Army Corps control. Dang it!!! My 1890 map shows a road coming down in that small ones location. There are 2 Indian mounds shown in the upper right corner of the large one. Not where I'm gonna dig. Thanks Art.

This area is not far from where the guy got the Egyptian relics out of a cave.

Last edited:
OP
OP
fenixdigger

fenixdigger

Feb 8, 2010
Detector(s) used
Alright, headed out to check these spots. Nice day, feeling it. Stay tuned. Photos when we get back.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it will warm up more the next couple of days. Yes photos, I'm getting ready to post a few myself, the "Arkie" sent me some recently which are mostly non-metallic finds. Interesting, finally learned the site is in the Ohio vallet also, many buttons were found, but don't have any pics for them yet.

OP
OP
fenixdigger

fenixdigger

Feb 8, 2010
Detector(s) used
Well that takes care of that. The gov. has big no trespassing signs all around the area. We tried 3 sides and the river bank is about 25 ft vertical. Good try guys.
We did pass a lot of mounds and old road ways, but they were in the no-no area. I would have loved to hit those old roads around the mounds. LT

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread