Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Spanish Dip Needles - Miner's Compass

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Mar 2003
    Oregon
    V3i, MX9, TDX, GMT, Custom Designs
    45 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Re: Spanish Dip Needles - Miner's Compass

Once again, folks are confusing "Spanish Dip Needle", "Spanish Needles", and "Magnetic Dip Needle". These are 3 distinctly different devices. Of the 3, the Magntic Dip Needle is the one that Really Works, and can be bought off eBay for $50. I own 2 of them. A modern proton mag is much much much more sensitive.

- Carl

Feb 2004
    2 times

The aqua meter looks like a good instrument. I like that you can use it by holding the strap and look downward at the top as you walk. They added needle dampening too. The type as shown in the pic I posted are adjustable for both balance of the needle using the small wire weight on one side. They also have an adjustment for the bearing tension along with a needle locking device. Only a little different from a regular navigation compass.

As Carl said these are old technology for sure. Not nearly as good as a pc linked mag. I have never used the type that have a chamber for precious metals so I dunno about em. Given the number of sucessful locations by the miners of the past you can see that they were able to use needles along with other knowledge to their advantage. Has anyone located areas they worked that had no deposits ? Just curious about that point but I haven't seen dry test holes along with their mines that had deposits.

There are some areas that I am using this on that are ancient seabed and shorelines. This is one darn thing that can be done during the winter when it's snow covered and frozen hard. There are some places where the old bed has not eroded away as it was protected by a solid cap. Some 3000 year old camps and fire pits can be found on the shoreline. The flints found in those sites by my Archeologist friend during studies for the government were so old that they didn't have any sharps left, all dulled by time and exposure he said. I don't disturb the sites myself I don't want any conflicts with the authorities.

I have heard that the Spaniards could use their needles while mounted. I haven't tried that myself so I can't say but it would have to be an animal with a very steady gait. But that could be easier than keeping an eye on the needle and watching out for obstacles and snakes at the same time maybe.

OB

um
    Nemo me impune lacesset

Jan 2005
    DAKOTA TERRITORY
    Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
    1288 times

Thanks friends for all the info! I had never heard of a Mexican dip needle, will check that out, and Ebay too.

OldBillinUT wrote:
    This is one darn thing that can be done during the winter when it's snow covered and frozen hard.
    Hi Bill and thanks for the info - just wanted to make a suggestion; if you have a place where you can mine gold in summer, and have plenty of brush to clear or lots of firewood, you can do it the way the Klondykers' did (and a few still do) that is to pile brush on the spot you wish to mine, burn it and rake off the ash - the fire will melt down a few inches of soil even in the high Arctic. It is kind of fun too, having a sort of "bonfire" and gets rid of old brush at the same time. Of course you will only get a relatively small amount of gravels to work from each fire, but if you are like me, that danged gold bug bites no matter what the season and this is one way you can indulge yourself. People are usually pretty shocked to see you come up with fresh-mined gold in the middle of winter!

Art wrote:
    Now Roy..lets try a few things with you. <snip>
    That sounds like an interesting experiment my friend - I will try it! I'll even post the results here, for what it is worth (heck the skeptics ought to get a laugh at the least! ) but will try silver first - the gold is locked up and a pain in the neck to get at. Thank you for the experiments to try!

Thanks again, looks like I have much more to do.

Oroblanco
    SUPPORT THE BEEF INDUSTRY - EAT BEEF
    "We must find a way, or we will make one."--Hannibal Barca

us
    The Watcher

Apr 2004
    Northern Nevada
    Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
    242 times

Hey Oroblanco...The experiments will tell me more than they will tell you. Use any thing that you want..Pennies work good as long as you have 2 or more items to compare how the rods close....Nuts,bolts or brass washer also work...I have even dumped a box of green tic-tacs on a lawn to see how many I could locate....Remember...have fun....Art

um
    Nemo me impune lacesset

Jan 2005
    DAKOTA TERRITORY
    1288 times

Mike - you reminded me of those old "doghouse boilers" fellow prospectors used to have up in Alaska - they looked a bit like a dog-house and would fit on a Yukon sled, even four huskies could pull it over the steepest grade. I don't know if they still even make such things, but I know of a couple of them that were still being used even though old; one guy uses it as a steam-heat furnace for his cabin, pretty neat really. Back when they were still running the big dragline dredges (not so long ago) around Nome, they also used ordinary water pumped into the ground and it worked, but not nearly as fast.

Anyone know what ever became of the big Bema dredge, used to work offshore of Nome, (submerged beach lines) but last I heard it was towed to Indonesia or someplace.

Oroblanco

Apr 2006
    1 times

Art, in reference to your post #9 the whole of this thread is on the wrong track. With real time dowsing such an irregular event, all these different inventions are attempts to create dowsing conditions. If by some chance a product for dowsing was put on the market at a time when dowsing conditions prevailed, the name of that product would for many years have a reputation that it did not deserve, and as dowsing conditions waned, so would the sales of these dowsing toys.

Sometime in the (hopefully) near future if dowsing conditions reappear, owners of these useless dowsing gadgets will again swear by them, ( too many to name) although a pair of coat hangers at that moment in time would also be working with the same proficiency.

There is only one item that can be used in dowsing. Your brain.

Max

um
    Nemo me impune lacesset

Jan 2005
    DAKOTA TERRITORY
    1288 times

Hi Max.

If a person were proficient enough at dowsing to be able to locate rich gold placers, silver veins, etc then you are right, such a device as a Spanish dip-needle would be of no need; however in the case of those who are not THAT proficient at dowsing treasures, mineral veins, then a tool such as a magnetic dip-needle would be of great use.

I personally don't have the proficiency in dowsing for treasures or mineral veins which would lead to a certain success, which is one reason why I use every tool available to me. I for one, would have use for such an instrument as a Spanish dip-needle.

Max I have to ask, why would you choose not to use any additional tools that might be of service to you? Just curious, if it is just a personal preference or your experience, that you prefer one method of locating treasures/mineral veins to the exclusion of others (such as dip-needles, etc) or another reason? Thank you in advance.

Art wrote:
    Now Roy..lets try a few things with you. Some of this I will be assuming so let me know if I am wrong....Take some masking tape and make a large X on the floor running in the cardinal directions. Put some gold or silver in the center of the X. Now walk toward the target along the masking tape. Did the rods close before, after or when your foot was on the target. The next thing to try is to walk a square pattern using the X as a guide about 3 feet from the target. What did the rods do? The next step is to see if you can discriminate the gold from the silver. Put the silver target in the center and more silver in your hand along with the rod handle. Now walk the square again and note where the rods cross...Now replace the target with some gold and walk the square with the silver in your hand. Did the rods stay open or did they close? There are two ways to do this experiment...You can think hard about the target or occupy your mind with thoughts of a movie or anything else...This experiment is to give you some information about Dowsing not to prove anything to anyone else...Art
    OK Art I did some experimenting, using silver as I have a few silver coins handy including the dollar. I first tried it indoors but we have water pipes and electrical wiring which seems to result in a "hit" almost anywhere inside, so went outdoors where I KNOW there are no water pipes or power lines. I got a 'hit' about six feet from a half dollar, which is apparently a water hit at some depth (which is good news in a way) because the 'hit' remains in that site even if the coin is moved or not even there. I got zero reaction from any of the coins, (the rods stayed pointing straight ahead, except if I went anywhere near that water 'hit' then they would point toward it) in fact the only 'hit' seems to be that spot where there is water at depth. I guess that either I cannot dowse silver (will have to give gold a try some time) or it is a bad spot, or just not right somehow. It was a fun experiment though! I will give it another try, using a group of silver coins (a jar full) next time, maybe I am just not 'sensitive' enough to pick up a single coin.

Oroblanco

us
    The Watcher

Apr 2004
    Northern Nevada
    242 times

Sorry that didn't work but if you had not tried you would never know. The only thing I can think of is to take three pennies and put one in each hand with the rod handles and step on the other penny or tape one penny to each rod tip and try it....Art

Apr 2006
    1 times

Orblanco, A damn good question.The reason I would not use anything else but dowsing rods when dowsing time is here is that have you tried to run water through a blocked pipe, or use a tack hammer for punching in a three inch nail? Sheer useless toys for the desperate.
    The day I found I could dowse I sold my metal detector. Max

um
    Nemo me impune lacesset

Jan 2005
    DAKOTA TERRITORY
    1288 times

Dang, Art - I FORGOT to STEP on any of the coins. I have to do it over. I was going to try again anyway, it IS fun!

Max, thank you for the insight. I don't know if I would go so far as to call metal detectors, magnetometers, etc "useless toys for the desperate" - in fact my greatest success in prospecting involved only the good old steel gold pan, and my metal detector has re-paid me several times over; I sure wouldn't call them "useless toys" for they are invaluable to ME. As for the "desperate" part, well that is a question of degree! "Gold Fever" is in-curable, only can "treat the symptoms"! I have to ask my friend Real de Tayopa, what the correct term for "silver fever" is - (hee hee!) I know a guy CAN come down with BOTH "diseases"!!!

Good luck and good hunting to you, hope you find the treasures that you seek.

Oroblanco

Apr 2006
    1 times

Oro, the reason why I sold my metal detector is that it was rubbish and if I had purchased a better one, it would not go down to Jesuit gold which is in the 9 foot depth range. I am referring to black boxes hooked up to dowsing rods.

Am doing a dig very soon and am taking along a Metal detector for that last foot or so.One of my syndicate has one.
    As a full dowser I know more than most what rubbish is selling for big bickies on the market.If any would work when my dowsing rod is non operative, I would morgage everything I own to have one. I repeat again . THEY ARE ALL JUNK> I feel better after getting that off my chest. Sorry Art. regards Max

um
    Nemo me impune lacesset

Jan 2005
    DAKOTA TERRITORY
    1288 times

Max, nine feet, boy that is going to be tough - I have dug my share of holes and when you get down that deep it is slow and tiring work, you can't even really toss the dirt out of the hole and end up putting it in buckets to haul out. Sure wish they made a detector that would go THAT deep though! Maybe some day, who knows?

Oroblanco

Dec 2004
    8 times

quote from above '''''Once again, folks are confusing "Spanish Dip Needle", "Spanish Needles", and "Magnetic Dip Needle". These are 3 distinctly different devices. Of the 3, the Magntic Dip Needle is the one that Really Works, and can be bought off eBay for $50. I own 2 of them. A modern proton mag is much much much more sensitive.

- Carl'''''''''.............not confused carl, just posting info on here that actually would have a little value.......for far less than 3 thousand dollars...i use the aqua meter often as a way to search for known iron boxes/pots/buried metal/etc and be rather unnoticed while doing so...and to the poster that stated its all dowsing you are wrong...magnetics being the keyword.........g

us
    Mar 2003
    Oregon
    V3i, MX9, TDX, GMT, Custom Designs
    45 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by gldhntr
    ..not confused carl, just posting info on here that actually would have a little value.......
    "Of the 3, the Magnetic Dip Needle is the one that Really Works, and can be bought off eBay for $50."

The first info of value, is knowing the correct name for the device, so that it can be properly researched. The second info of value, is knowing where to buy it, and the expected price.

Up for any testing?

- Carl

us
    The Watcher

Apr 2004
    Northern Nevada
    242 times

The first info of value, is knowing the correct name for the device, so that it can be properly researched. The second info of value, is knowing where to buy it, and the expected price.
    Hey Carl...The first information of value is if it works or not. This information can only come from people who have used the product. Treasure hunters are the ones that use the products and know a lot more than researchers....Art

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors