What is dowsing?

Dec 5, 2013
Springfield, MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"Signal - Your still not really getting it. I have tried it and it doesn't work for me. I had my 12 year old son try it, didn;t work. I told him to open his mind and not think about anything. Can't get much less ego than a kid, agreed?
I will go out with anyone who is willing and watch it actually "work" - I will go with an open mind.
Problem is - No one can ever prove it, no one ever has, no one ever takes other people out to prove it - it's always the samething. I can do it, but I can't show anyone.
If you can't see why people are skeptical of dowsing, well then what can I say?"\

Yes. Thanks, RingFinder. That's exactly why I am skeptical. I have not tried anything like it in years. But when I tried it years ago, I could not make it work. So others say, "Well, it didn't work for you, but it works for me..."
Maybe I was just being more honest with myself than you are with yourself.

I want a tool that works regardless of whether I believe it works, or whether I don't meditate right or have the right attitude or mind set. I want a tool that will find the target regardless of who's holding it. I want a tool that will find the target consistently, in repeatable circumstances and conditions. I don't want a fickle tool that I have to spend years to learn all the while hoping I'm not wasting my time. Why not spend the same time becoming an expert on one of the many fine metal detectors available that work regardless of one's mental, spiritual or religious predilections?

I'd love to see one of our dowser friends open an automotive repair business, using their dowsing ability to determine the trouble with their customers' car. They should advertise that their garage is the most efficient, lowest cost repair facility because they don't need any of those expensive, sophisticated computerized instruments to find the trouble. They just use their rods and they can recommend the appropriate repair.

How many customers do you think they'd get? Maybe other dowsers...but from the interaction I see on this forum between different dowsers even that might be a long shot.

How long do you think that garage will stay in business?

My point is, if dowsing is truly effective, we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

Nobody is having a similar discussion on this forum about the efficacy of electronic metal detecting, are they?

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't feel guilty people are being deceived on this forum. I put out the warnings and if they can't figure it out I feel sorry for them but I guess they deserve what they get.

10claw

Aug 16, 2009
I don't feel guilty people are being deceived on this forum. I put out the warnings and if they can't figure it out I feel sorry for them but I guess they deserve what they get.
hey baby, i would love to see you open a garage and offer folks a guaranteed answer to the problem of the car/truck with your metal detector. i think that would be fantastic. wonder how many orders you would get? zip,zip,zip,and more zip. SSSOOOO until you do that why waste time being a skeptikal of dowsing? or ar you REALLY swr?
:coffee2: anyone? that is while we wait for babys new shop. :tongue3:

Dec 5, 2013
Springfield, MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hey baby, i would love to see you open a garage and offer folks a guaranteed answer to the problem of the car/truck with your metal detector. i think that would be fantastic. wonder how many orders you would get? zip,zip,zip,and more zip. SSSOOOO until you do that why waste time being a skeptikal of dowsing? or ar you REALLY swr?
:coffee2: anyone? that is while we wait for babys new shop. :tongue3:

10claw, you missed my point. My shop would use the most advanced automotive diagnostic equipment I could get that gave consistently repeatable and reliable results and didn't depend on an unprovable supernatural cause. The same approach I use to coin and relic hunting. I would be skeptical of a repairman who claimed they could diagnose you car's trouble using tea leaves, wouldn't you? Especially when the next psychic repair shop down the street diagnoses something totally different.

And in truth, that's exactly what I've seen on this forum when someone submits a map or photo to dowse.

Alright, I've said my piece and I'll be happy to shut up and leave you all to your dowsing discussion.
I do wish you all a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. HH-
Bruce

jair

Sep 6, 2013
Las Vegas
Detector(s) used
Whites and cheep bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Why?..I have a tool that does what I want it to...I can read the voltage. I check for continuity....That’s all I need it for....I checked the voltage between my hands one time...There is no need to do it again....Art[

/QUOTE] I just got back to Lacey Washington after going over to liberty Washington .
Dowsed the old hidden location of a filled in mine shaft for my brother on a mountain top mining claim He purchased recently .
Marked out two other possible spots to locate gold . The gold area will only tell when he digs in the fall, but the old mine shaft we confirmed at the time . Part of a old ladder and misc. metal and digging tools mixed in from BLM back filling . Live in Vegas but visiting grand kids for Christmas . Showed my brother how to dowse and picked up on it quickly .

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
Hey jair...That is always fun....I once found an old mine shaft that was blasted shut....I use a black powder bait..Art

jair

Sep 6, 2013
Las Vegas
Detector(s) used
Whites and cheep bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey jair...That is always fun....I once found an old mine shaft that was blasted shut....I use a black powder bait..Art
I'm not a professional by far but it is fun and when you can confirm that you did find what you were looking for . And always fun and exciting to get some one els enter ester in it .

Follows Camp Craig

Dec 1, 2013
Raleigh, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Team Keene Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In all fairness, I would like to invite everyone to fashion a pair, if not one.
It costs less than $10 at lowes/home depot, D.I.Y.

My first was crafted from copper tube with a brass tip.
Try it, then take them for a test drive.
Go ahead, go for a walk.
I used the Hawaiian "hang loose" grip, thumb and pinky contact points.
"Quit your b****en and start yer switchen"

Most of all, have fun with it.

You can direct your complaints to me personally via a PM
After all I am E.C.V. certified. I will render my professional talents on a per case basis and in the order that they are received
for the first 10, providing you are a first build respondent.

Sapling folk need not apply.

Last edited:

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
I sure wish dowsing worked. A cousin here in the mountains of Mexico really wants a well on his property. He is a builder, and in past years when he has no work, and his avocado orchard work is done, he and his son dig and dig. They have gone down a long ways, like 30 feet, and still no water. All following instructions by local dowsers.

It would be great if somebody could show him a place that actually had water, instead of heart-breaking work, then nothing but dry dirt.

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would you be able to post an aerial photo of the property?

paleojeep

Tenderfoot
Dec 29, 2013
SD and IA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
New guy here...I've been able to dowse for 40+ yrs, but really know nothing about it. I've learned a little on various websites and such, but no one has really nailed it for me. TwoBear on this forum seems to lay it out though. I use L-rods, copper-clad steel. Last year was the first time I actually used them in relic hunting, but it worked. My trouble, however, is in determining depth. They cross, and it's usually strong no matter what. How does one presume depth? I never know if I'm hitting at 18 inches, or 18 feet. I get many hits on these hilltops along the rivers, especially in woods. The other thing, I need to be able to determine a burial hill from a multi-dwelling hill. Any suggestions? I walk away from suspected burials, and would never intentionally collect funerary items. One of my primary haunts on the Big Sioux river north of Sioux City is like that too. I try to surface collect in the Loess erosion, and in the stubble fields below the hills, along the water.
But the rods add that new dimension, and I'm trying to figure out if it's an ancient burial BEFORE I put a shovel in.

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
I am a physical dowser....I use no metal input...When the rods cross over the target I turn 45 degrees...I then inch along until the rods start to open...I mark that spot and continue to inch along....When the rods close again I mark that spot.....measure between the two spots and that is the depth...Art
Depth.gif

Mitch Dickson

Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In dowsing you have to "jump the limin" (not lemon but pronounced the same). In each of us there is a conscious rational mind and a subconscience mind. The two are seperated by a great gulf. That gulf is called the limin (as in subliminal). The conscience and the subconscience are not directly connected! However both have access to the body. The dowser sends his question to the subconscience by intent and the subconscience can answer through the body making the dowsing instrument move with suttle muscle movements. It takes hours and hours to stregnthen this connection and learn to recognise flights of fancy from real answers. A master dowser is satisfied with 75% correct answers. Anyone that says they always hit the mark are liars in the tradition of my Ex-wife :) A dowser that can hit 50% never has to work. He can go to an old park and out of every 2 tries he will get an old silver coin. He can go to a gold field and find a month's wages in a day. Greed however is generally not agreeable to the subconscious and hunting landfall treasures seldom works. Dowsing will furnish you a very good living but probably won't make you a millionaire.

I never dowse for people or pets. If you start finding cats, God won't like you! It is very rare that I ever dowse for anyone else. I got enough to keep me busy on my own :)

10claw

Aug 16, 2009
Baby needs new shoes--- you accused one person of being '' dim witted ''-- now lets see what you are according to your own words.
I'd hate to see someone who could, say, learn to be a good pharmacist get side tracked into alchemy. I may, like Fox Mulder, "Want to believe", but I will go where the double-blind science takes me...not my desires.
looks like you be's '' double blind ''. Don't kick me off Jeff, that's his words.
:laughing7::coffee2:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
can some folks see better than others ,can other folks hear better than others , are some folks much more sensitive to smells that others ? the answer to this is of course "yes" --now if the sensitive people were to see , or hear or smell something that a less sensitive person did not --would you label them "lairs" and frauds --no of course not --- I think that some "dowsers" are just very highly sensitive people --to water or other things --its a well known fact that in arid areas (desert type areas) that horses and camels can be used to "locate" under the surface water .

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
I was a gold prospector for 30 years before I learned to Dowse. Now some think that I should not look for gold because of my knowledg. I am smart enough to know that I am not going to look for a sunken Spanish ship in the middle of Kansas..

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
how does the human body "work" ? -- by sending electrical impulses thru our nerve system -- its how our brain "operates" our body ... thru both knowing thought ... and unknowing thought .. we must think to say move our arm --but we do not have to think each time to tell our heart to beat or lungs to draw breath ...its "automatically" done by the brain without having to think about it ... what if in the past our bodies could do other things "automatically" but thru many years of non use these abilities just died off in the vast bulk of people as a "unneeded" ability --but what if it stayed alive in a very small % of people --think of folks that have rare "super" hearing , or extra keen eyesight or the ability to smell extremely faint smells -- what if it gives some folks rare super abilities to sense things---most others simply can not

thus one could do it but not be able to "teach" another how to do it --unless that person had the same 'ability" ---and of course the "naysayer effect" --if I can't do it or repeat it myself --its nonsense ====would apply since the naysayer most likely would NOT have the "ability" nor could it be "learned"..

Last edited:

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Just a few ways that we use the subconscious mind automatically…When a child steps off the curb in front of your car. When someone stops in front of your car….When you touch something hot any many more things. Science now knows that the subconscious mind can be trained…Art

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread