Is dowsing effective for finding glass bottles and or privy pits?

Captain_Ahab

Aug 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,

I have been reading through a lot of threads in this dowsing forum and have also been searching. Everything I'm learning is very interesting and I can't wait to make a pair of L rods and start practicing.

I love using my detector but I have developed an affinity towards antique glass bottles and would like to start searching old farm sites for glass bottles and privy pits.

Which leads me to my question: Can dowsing rods be used to locate glass bottles (privy pits) on the ground and on maps. I see a lot of people use them to find metallic objects and especially gold but I'm mostly interested in non-metallic targets.

If they can be used for this purpose, is there any way to make them more accurate/discriminant? I have read that you can wrap dollar bills around the tips of the rods and they will be more prone to detect only paper money and will ignore metallic objects. I obviously cannot tape whole glass bottles to the end of each rod.

Should I break a glass and tape small pieces to the end to discriminate? Could I use a modern broken glass to avoid having to break an antique bottle? Or would simply thinking about glass while detecting work? I will be searing an area with a lot of trash and I don't want the rods to detect every metallic or junk target, if I could narrow it down to just glass I think I might get somewhere.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!

OP
OP
C

Captain_Ahab

Aug 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the reply, I read the post and saw all of those non-metallic artifacts. Nice to know its possible.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, you're very welcome! The museum board soon discovered that recovering artifacts from a historic land tract takes more than just swinging a metal detector to check out map dowsing hits. What they finally ended up doing is use L-rods along with a metal detector, see if the target is metallic or non-metal. I don't know if you noticed, but coral fossils and 5 stony iron meteorites were found also.

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
attachment.jpg I would think that using modern glass would work ….Just give it a try and find out if it works…This what I use for baiting rods.

two bear

Dec 14, 2013
Smoky Mtns of east Tn
Detector(s) used
Whites metal detectors
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Captain Ahab I have been reading this forum for a several months now and I have come to understand that dowsing works in different ways for different people. I think some are new, some aren't sure, some have different techniques and some look for treasure and others are satisfied with simpler things. I have been dowsing for several years now and I was taught that all things have an aura like art said. I was taught that anything touched by a human leaves an energy. I like to dowse old homesites and find where the walls were and draw out the homesite in the leaves. I can dowse graves and find arrowheads and coins. A privy pit will certainly give a reading whether it is empty or has bottles in it. I don't adhere anything to my rods, I just decide what I'm looking for and go to it. Some people think that dowsing is a form of witchcraft, but let me tell you that I know of good christian men who dowsed for water in my county for years and it has been used in the south for many years. Anything can be used for good or bad. I don't hear of anyone talking about dowsing graves on this forum either. I love to dowse graves. I have found lost graves sites for people also. Good luck with your search for privy pits and bottles. Just practice and keep at it and sooner or later you can find what your looking for. I know of people who look for privy sites and when they think they found one they use a long rod and punch it into the ground for assurance. The rod will penetrate the softer ground easier than the harder ground nearby.

topa

Jan 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Καλησπερα πρωτη φορα γραφω μιας κ σημερα εγινα μελος σ αυτο το φορουμ , γ οσους δουλεβουν ηλεκτρονικη ραβδοσκοπια η συχνοτητα γ το γιαλη ειναι 50 ηζ κ 250 ηζ κ παντα με μαρτηρα στο δεξη το ιδιο το ζητουμενο

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
From wandering around the California Gold country I have found that most of the trash was thrown in gullies or over cliffs. I grew up in my early years with outhouses. Most were located with the prevailing going away from the house.
...Art

Last edited:

okiedowser

Dec 26, 2009
Mena,Ar
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
today glass will not work done try it,unless you are mental dowsing then it don't matter ,forget the loading,its not good to mix the 2 together.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Καλησπερα πρωτη φορα γραφω μιας κ σημερα εγινα μελος σ αυτο το φορουμ , γ οσους δουλεβουν ηλεκτρονικη ραβδοσκοπια η συχνοτητα γ το γιαλη ειναι 50 ηζ κ 250 ηζ κ παντα με μαρτηρα στο δεξη το ιδιο το ζητουμενο

google translate

12.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread