Small Island Dowse Please

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Will any of you dowse the pics below? The pics are all of the same small island from different years. 1920, 2007 and a recent pic from google earth. I don't have a clue if there is anything there?

We kayaked to the island and found/saw two large square wood pilings. They were at least 18" square at the base and came to a rotten pointed top. We assumed that at some point in time a ship or ships tied off on the pilings.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-07-23-20-07-53.png
    Screenshot_2014-07-23-20-07-53.png
    542.1 KB · Views: 118
  • Screenshot_2014-07-23-20-11-46.png
    Screenshot_2014-07-23-20-11-46.png
    841.3 KB · Views: 127
  • Screenshot_2014-07-23-20-26-26.png
    Screenshot_2014-07-23-20-26-26.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 115
Last edited:
OP
OP
chlsbrns

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks okiedowser!

How about relics? A group is going with detectors and we appreciate a good starting point.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Green rectangles are more archaeological and rather deep, down to 6-9 feet. Red rectangle area is also deep, down to 8-10 feet. Red circles are not quite as deep, probably down to 6-8 feet.

Green in general is a color indicator, I use for various other targets mostly archaeological (old ruins or foundations but especially those non-metallic objects such as Indian flints, glass, pottery, carved stone with treasure signs).
Red line box (or solid filled circles) for very deep coins/treasure or artifacts of value.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-07-23-20-26-26-chlsbrns.png
    Screenshot_2014-07-23-20-26-26-chlsbrns.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 127
OP
OP
chlsbrns

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Red Desert! Im going to try to get there tomorrow or Sunday and will let you all know how we make out.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stuff, whatever it is, seemed rather deep....would hope there be a few surface items to find.

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Happens all the time " I promise to let everyone know"" I'll get back to you" " we will let you know how we made out" Never to here back from them. The OP has been online all day. And it's not just him, happens everyday! " I'll post pics after it's cleaned" Thanks Art/ Red for all you patients with these people. Maybe someone will follow through... Someday.

Last edited:
OP
OP
chlsbrns

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
AA & RD... I FOUND A SMALL GOLD BAR this morn! It's kind of worn down looking kind of like a nugget.

We are going back. I realized when I got to the island that I didn't have shovels. We md'd about 15 minutes when we hit on the bar. We dug it up with a kayak paddles about eight inches down. We paddled back to the truck to get the shovels and no shovels in the truck.

Im on my android tablet. It won't let me upload a pic? Later when we get back I'll post a pic from my computer.

You guys are awesome!

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ohhhh .... Snaaaap!
I'm sorry I jumped the gun!
Imagine that , they MD the island and found a gold bar! You Dowser's rock!
An ORE for an OAR!! Lol

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AA & RD... I FOUND A SMALL GOLD BAR this morn! It's kind of worn down looking kind of like a nugget.

We are going back. I realized when I got to the island that I didn't have shovels. We md'd about 15 minutes when we hit on the bar. We dug it up with a kayak paddles about eight inches down. We paddled back to the truck to get the shovels and no shovels in the truck.

Im on my android tablet. It won't let me upload a pic? Later when we get back I'll post a pic from my computer.

You guys are awesome!
Oh yes, 1 gold bar even if a small one, can take your breath away.....I'd be speechless myself for a day or two.

Were you able to test it to see if gold? Stamp? There have been contraband gold bars found in wrecks which probably didn't get stamped and might be crude also. The Spanish did have crude finger bars, so we will wait for a gold test.

If your find is the size of a small bar, the weight should be quite heavy.

Last edited:

morbiusandneo

Jun 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
Nice. Just 15 minutes and the man finds a small gold bar!! Digging a 6' hole would be a major challenge here. You would have to bring in a pump & something to shore up the walls or risk a cave-in.The bottom of the hole will probably start filling with water 2-3 feet down. Either we have what has been seen many, many times, which is "beginners luck".Or, as one dowsed map shows this island is loaded with many caches.There are probably thousands of sites like this. Completely undocumented as to what may have been hidden there with no idea why or when. This is very much worth the effort to bring some equipment in imho. Dowsing, I get two hits for gold of over 100lbs each.One real close to Art's dowse.The other just north(and a bit west) of that clearing in the center of the island. I don't know how to make a picture file with markings, nor how to post that....You'll need a two-box.And , of course, shovels my friend!! ;-) ~darylluke.

Last edited:
OP
OP
chlsbrns

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
We are young ladies.

Good luck or maybe a curse! The island is covered with very old very large nails and is so thick that a big dog would have a hard time getting thru there! The horse flies are posessed! I named it torture island!

We dug and dug nail after nail after nail.

Our detectors wont hit on anything feet deep so We are going back with a pipe locator/magnetometer, dowsing wands and bug spray. We made the wands from piano wire. Three foot long with one end tipped/dipped in gold the other in silver. They go nuts over gold.

Digging deep is going to be a real problem not only because of water and caveins but also because of the thick brush and branches.

Between paddling out there and back twice already, the brush, flies, humidity and digging I passed out (fell asleep) and woke late so I never took a pic. Now im rushing to get back out there.

Im on my tablet so I can't post any pics yet but I will when I get on my computer. The more I look at this gold the more it looks like a nugget? I think its posessed too!

Last edited:

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it tests out as gold, maybe sifters in the spots with nails? The depth readings only are for where signals disappear, there probably will be shallower targets the coin detectors can reach. I would try everything, shallow and deeper.

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello chlsbrnsDowsing revealed attractions to gold/gold bars/silver items in the areas of the white circles/boxes. Some loose and close to surface other areas deeper. I would definately go back beacause the island is loaded with treasure.Thx for posting your picture,Jon

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-07-23-20-26-26dowsed.png
    Screenshot_2014-07-23-20-26-26dowsed.png
    1 MB · Views: 86

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread