skip_a_loo

skip_a_loo

Apr 11, 2013
Newton, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Up Graded to...GTP at Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the 2nd Rock has this symbol----I think this means: That the 2 turtles are looking at each other the 2nd rock has a crossing = double trail crossing..one goes east and west and North and south..there is a pointed stone marker...has a flat rock with a stone pointer behind it and that leads to Meeme Creek .... will look for it again in Spring.....Then that part of Rust Woods section of the woods is done.........Or Artifacts are buried HERE!
10556363_919667694718307_6839423200532065955_n quartz trail cross.jpg

Last edited:

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the rock carving I wanted to see again. Jesuits and KGC used one very similar called a "nesting turtle" which was used to mark a cache or site destination. I've balanced the color, enlarged to crop for a better view.

Yeah, you can sure see the cracks in the neck, where the tree fell on it. To Native Americans, turtles were since pre-contact times, a symbol for Mother Earth. If Indians ever used a turtle carving to mark a cache, it probably would be something they learned from the Spanish. Some tribes had a turtle clan. Directions for Native Americans went-----East wind, south wind, west wind, north wind (4 cardinal points) Father Sky center and above, Mother Earth for center and down.

Attachments

• skip_a_loo_n quartz8.jpg
    skip_a_loo_n quartz8.jpg
    284.4 KB · Views: 76
  • skip_a_loo_n quartz8crop.jpg
    skip_a_loo_n quartz8crop.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 77
  • skip_a_loo_n quartz8crop2.jpg
    skip_a_loo_n quartz8crop2.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe this turtle carving of the seat with 2 carved turtles, has no cache associated with them. The Indians of the Great Lakes region had a Turtle Clan and here is the Sault Ste. Marie Tribe of Ojibwe (or Chippewa) turtle symbol on the flag.

The Indian sanctuary or church (if you want to call it that) had the pulpit seat in the center rather than near one end like the Europeans. The center between the 4 cardinal points was much like the "Holy of Holies" to the Jews. Other clans would sit in the rim or around the outside perimeter. Some tribes, especially in the Great Plains used a stone wheel or sun circle. Warriors then sat in the north, elders in the east, children in the south, women in the west. The Bighorn Mt sun circle had a fire pit in the center.

The Center
Aqua-green Turtle center of circle, Turtle has the head pointed North, symbolizes plant life and growing things. Represents the Mother Earth we stand upon. Turtle shells were once used for the calendar. The thirteen large squares counting full moons of the year. Moon phases were shown by 28 small squares around on the outside edge of shell. Turtle shell calendars count days of each lunar month. For this reason Turtles have a very strong connection to energies of the Earth.
Then on the back of the Turtle, you see a black Crane with a white body with the wing accents. The Crane prepares to take flight toward the West. Left behind (in the background) is a Mountain Ash branch which is shown in black. The Crane has the associated meaning; spokesperson for the clans, represents eloquence of leadership and their sense of direction. The Mountain Ash symbolic of durability, strength, and last but not least a strong character.

Attachments

• medicinewheel_flag.jpg
    medicinewheel_flag.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried to improve the turtle photo just a tiny little bit more, this probably is the best that can be done on it. There could be some caches in the area, but it is highly unlikely that the turtle seat points to anything other, than to center of the sacred space. If the seat is next to the water (swamp?) maybe this could have been the special site of the Turtle Clan (or perhaps maybe the water wasn't so close in old times).

Attachments

• turtle1.jpg
    turtle1.jpg
    322.8 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, it would be more logical, that the Turtle Clan must of been seated in the north (since head of turtle on flag points north). The crane was one of the several large birds (such as eagle or the hawk) symbolic of outgoing communications. These communications would be messages to the tribe or other tribes, sacred council fires, prayers (often sung as songs), ceremonial prayers and invocations, loading prayers for the pipe, etc.

So, here the turtle carvings no doubt, were only a part of the main seat of the Indian sanctuary.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
are there any numbers on any of the rocks????
I have no idea.....I think usually with KGC, there will be carved symbols on trees also. The location of this site is close to where Indian rock piles have already been found, so most likely this is what they will turn out to be after being studied.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's more or less what I've read about it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread