Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, probably was 2 fence post caches or maybe they might still be there? Post hole caches were very popular in the old days of the frontier, especially the southwest. I did seem to be getting some native gold in your local mountain place, doesn't mean it is super good, only that the Au hit made first will be the best on the map. If gravel there won't produce the amount of native Au you want, find a site you know is going hold gold pay-dirt.

Oh one more thought here on the fence posts. Think I'd said that the signal disappeared at 10 ft down, means could be less than the hole depth. A post hole might be hard to completely get all the loose dirt out first. Even 7-8 ft is deep, depends on how far a post went down and how much below a post they needed to go.

Last edited:

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"I had found a real nice pick axe up in the mountains which is a lot better than the one I previously have so it should make my job a lot easier. Found a nice shovel too both we're abandoned. That place in the NE part of the mountains from here in town where I had found that possible cache..."

I would call that a find, a good start at least (free better digging tools).

OP
OP
Red Fox 4

Red Fox 4

Mar 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Absolutely. And, I cannot wait to get back out there and I know that I am close to finding what I am looking for. I've been reading on coin values and it seems gold coins can go anywhere from 250 to about 1500 (even higher for the rare ones). From what I have asked the pendulum it said both caches are contained in a box and not a mason jar so hopefully they will be in decent enough condition too sell to a dealer/s (couple here couple there). One of the caches I know had been buried after 1862 as it includes paper money.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Red Fox 4

Red Fox 4

Mar 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Went over both sites that had been dowsed with a $700 metal detector and both we're completely absent of any treasure of any kind. Extended the search to even beyond those specific area's but still...nothing. I am done with that area and have moved onto where I know for sure there are gold caches and that thread can be found here.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best not to waste your time in unproductive areas.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions