Gold bullion and Wells Fargo chests:

OP
OP
Red Fox 4

Red Fox 4

Mar 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
That is exactly what I had done I had left the gold equation out this time. I didn't even think to do it either it just kind of happened that way. Thank you for the depth analysis btw RD it is very much appreciated : )

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't remember 100%, but I am fairly certain that Wells Fargo responded publicly about Lost Caches from Stagecoach Robberies. They said (if I remember correctly) that all the strongboxes have been accounted for, and there are no longer any missing ones.

If you want to be certain, contact the History Department:

Wells Fargo History

Mike

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wasn't getting Wells Fargo on it (really not even checking for that), just a nice signal about 2-3 ft deep which seemed as a possible cache. There have been more than one treasure hunter, claim they once found an empty strongbox. The gold bars or coins possibly in some holdups, might be removed from a strongbox for loading their horses and then buried somewhere else. A heavy box I'm thinking would be harder to move to a cache site. Some treasure stories the one half of a stagecoach was found but burned.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Red Fox 4

Red Fox 4

Mar 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you gollum I did not know that and it's good to know. Yes I figure most bandit's would of left the box and buried the loot elsewhere that they could not take with them as-well. RD could you possible look over this one more time to test my circle without the gold equation this time (from earlier in this thread). It's telling me there is stage coach loot there and I just went over it a second and third time and it gave me the very same target both times. I have access to a high end metal detector as well as a quad now so life just got easier. If I can get a confirm on this that will make two possible target's which would be well worth going to look at (if not I'll continue to dowse the area). P.S. Went over those cache sites that you okie and Art had helped me with with said high end metal detector but found nothing except a bunch of old shotgun shell's. I know that I will have much better luck with the area's represented in this thread because there are actually stories to go with the caches.

VM3.1.JPG

Last edited:

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still seems like native gold to me, but go check things with a metal detector and that way not miss anything.

OP
OP
Red Fox 4

Red Fox 4

Mar 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you RD. I wonder if the target I am getting on that photo is the same as the rectangle you had marked as an item of interest. They are so close to each other and it really spark's my interest it will be interesting to see.

Last edited:

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard to tell sometimes, I know mining claims I've been to usually have been so hammered, it can be difficult to find anything with the metal detector except a few lead bullets or shell casing. I've been to someone's old claim once, looked as if it had not been detected much, move rocks from a tailing pile and metal trash is under them on the surface everywhere. It's easier to take a look at a site first, then decide what things might be. I bought back in the 1990s the mining history books from the University of AZ (then the Arizona Bureau of mines/Geological Survey), for both hard rock and placer mining. In the old days a few of the sites around Pheonix area produced a number of monster sized gold nuggets. Might still be a couple of them around that weren't found yet.

Last edited:

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you RD. I wonder if the target I am getting on that photo is the same as the rectangle you had marked as an item of interest. They are so close to each other and it really spark's my interest it will be interesting to see.
I was going through my folders and found a few maps I'd made with pins for a site with gold bars. A retired PH D scientist from Phoenix wanted me to bring my rods out there. I didn't go on the trip, it is a hike that is too far for one day, it would have been on horseback riding. I believe gold bars could be in this area, 2 treasure hunters were found shot a few years ago on the mountain slope. The pins were done in GE of my old computer (now crashed). The pins were for getting zoomed in closer to make more maps, have these maps but none are marked for dowsed hits (they got left in the old crashed PC). Took coordinates off the map to post, have all the map gps still on them, even on the grids.

Attachments

• BTM_0(new)2.jpg
    BTM_0(new)2.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
OP
OP
Red Fox 4

Red Fox 4

Mar 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
I was going through my folders and found a few maps I'd made with pins for a site with gold bars. A retired PH D scientist from Phoenix wanted me to bring my rods out there. I didn't go on the trip, it is a hike that is too far for one day, it would have been on horseback riding. I believe gold bars could be in this area, 2 treasure hunters were found shot a few years ago on the mountain slope. The pins were done in GE of my old computer (now crashed). The pins were for getting zoomed in closer to make more maps, have these maps but none are marked for dowsed hits (they got left in the old crashed PC). Took coordinates off the map to post, have all the map gps still on them, even on the grids.

Crazy story RD. I wonder if those two men had found treasure before having been shot and the assailant's had gotten away with it? Treasure Hunting can be a dangerous hobby/profession that is no joke. When I do go out now I usually have a gentleman with me (a fellow treasure hunter) who carries a revolver. I do not currently own a gun but would like to eventually get one in the not to distant future.

Last edited:

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I've been told, there should be 1-3 caves in this area used as storage from the Peralta mines. In one part of the same map, a story of gold bars found and lost in a cave. The guys were hunting, went up from a wash to escape flash flooding, brought a bar back with them but dropped it down a crevice. A Jesuit treasure was supposedly found once also, they came to a part of the cave that had water from a spring so rest of it wasn't searched. The men had to use a rope to get down the first 30 ft inside the entrance. Another Jesuit cave is believed to be in the map, maybe a huge treasure trove.

OP
OP
Red Fox 4

Red Fox 4

Mar 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Jesuit caves scare the crap out of me. Booby trap's and then there are the rattlesnakes of course. I would imagine one could dowse before hand to find out if it would be safe to go in or not. When I was a kid we used to visit a-lot ghost towns here in AZ. I remember one day we we're at a ghost town and it had had a cave near-by. My Step Dad had ventured into it just out of curiosity I guess and a couple minutes later both my mom and myself heard the loudest rattle you could ever imagine and he had come flying out of there at about 100 MPH and when he had gotten to the car he was out of breath and about pale as a cadaver, lol.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jesuit caves might have a death trap, I've been told they also would bring in rattlesnakes to populate the area with the snakes around their caves.

OP
OP
Red Fox 4

Red Fox 4

Mar 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't doubt it. Old time bio weapon security defense, lol. RD, I've been thinking...I mis well go nugget hunting while out there (probably this next month). I was looking at the gold spots you had found in one of the pictures and it sparked my interest. If there aren't any caches then maybe I can get some nuggets : ) Anyway, I dowsed the area and had asked for the highest concentration of gold nuggets which are closest to the surface of the ground and it had given me the location you see in picture 1. The second picture I have posted is said (by my rods) to contain a large gold nugget possible weighing 3 or more lbs (wouldn't that be nice). If you could look those over for me I would so greatly appreciate it.

VMGNS.jpg

VM3lbGNCloseup.jpg

Last edited:

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When dowsing native gold weight, a reading can be the total amount found in a particular spot or the actual weight of a nugget. I'd dowse for myself, only on known coarse gold sites for the best places to prospect.Most places with nice gold nuggets around Phoenix are already under a mineral rights claim. Plenty of prospecting clubs around your area, lots of people to prospect with or ask them questions. I bought a book once called "Little Know Arizona Gold Placers" most of those sites (a couple near Phoenix) you can find small grains 18" down.

Here is a page with photos of prospecting sites mostly Wickenburg vicinity.

Gold Prospecting and Nugget Hunting is what We do! Rich Hill this time.

Somebody made a video of visiting the Lucky Linda claim at Stanton (2 lb. gold nugget found there once near the road).

The other video is at Lynx Creek gold panning, apparently it was a TV episode for GPAA. However you go about it, gold prospecting is a challenge.

[video=youtube;GBaScV5iPA4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=10&v=GBaScV5iPA4[/video]

When I bought my Garrett gold panning kit (back in the mid 1990s) it came packaged with an article "Find an ounce of gold a day" which used gold detectors as part of the strategy. Garrett once went to Mexico to do a video, using this technique. The steam had been a place nice silver nuggets were found. They used manual ground balance detectors wading the stream with the coil in the water. Detectoors were balanced to find pockets of black sand rather than metal. The idea was to dig up these concetrations of black sand and panning them later.

No silver nuggets were detected (yet plenty found later during panning) only the black sand and this is Garrett's method to locate gold for panning also. Most people with the manual ground balance machines will tune them to find metal and eliminate the mineral detection. Tuning these gold detectors you lift the coil then lower it repeatly, listening to the sound. Balanced toward mineral the sound is louder as you lift the coil. This finds more hot rocks, a pocket of black sand contration will be wider and not a small hotspot.

One problem will be where the ground is very mineralized, then sensitivity must be turned down to smooth out the threshold. L-rods are very good for picking up these concentrated black sand deposits. Other people beeping pass right over the pockets containing gold.

Last edited:

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Added more locations, take a look at these places. One map only shows the first hits.

Attachments

• VM3lbGNCloseup.jpg
    VM3lbGNCloseup.jpg
    311.6 KB · Views: 104
  • VMGNS2.jpg
    VMGNS2.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 92
  • VMGNScrop3.jpg
    VMGNScrop3.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 81
  • VMGNS.jpg
    VMGNS.jpg
    302.9 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
OP
OP
Red Fox 4

Red Fox 4

Mar 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you RD, that will be some good hunting right there! :happy3:

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you RD, that will be some good hunting right there! :happy3:
You might want to check out this gold prospecting forum, many of them on the site are from AZ. Don't want to mention dowsing more than once, maybe not at all (they got some real dowsing skeptics). Jim Straight had been quite active on a couple threads for a while, probably still doing it, lot of good info for your area.

Nugget Shooter Forums

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread